Convertible cap replacement

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Anybody on here had their convertible 'tonneau' caps replaced? Early ones apparently are prone to cutting the hood. Another one of Ford's 'need to know' non-recalls.
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
This is where we find most vert owners haven't got any :wink:

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
Anybody on here had their convertible 'tonneau' caps replaced? Early ones apparently are prone to cutting the hood. Another one of Ford's 'need to know' non-recalls.
Hmm, I noticed a very slight nick in mine the other day when I was washing the car and I do use the caps occasionally - any more info on where the cuts are supposed to occur?

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Yes, I’ve had a whole new roof fitted under warranty due to damage by the caps (it’s on it’s third roof, don’t ask) and the new caps are redesigned to prevent this from happening again.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Ford did have a TSB in Australia I believe. Had trimmers fit felt cushioning within the cap underside.

I would only use mine for static display.

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Ford did have a TSB in Australia I believe. Had trimmers fit felt cushioning within the cap underside.

I would only use mine for static display.

Put mine on once, to see how they fitted, then took them off, and since then been in the boot in the original plastic, my S197 never had any, and really can't see the point of them

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put mine on once, to see how they fitted, then took them off, and since then been in the boot in the original plastic, my S197 never had any, and really can't see the point of them
They’re supposed to keep debris out of the mechanism when the roof is down, however, they just destroy your fabric roof.

Mine is still in the dealer since September because of this issue.

RobT350C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible White
They’re supposed to keep debris out of the mechanism when the roof is down, however, they just destroy your fabric roof.

Mine is still in the dealer since September because of this issue.
How and where do they damage the roof? I've had my fitted quite a few times and haven't noticed any damage?

Mine is a march 2017 registration, did they make an update to them before this?

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How and where do they damage the roof? I've had my fitted quite a few times and haven't noticed any damage?

Mine is a march 2017 registration, did they make an update to them before this?
Above the doors, when the roof is up, you’ll see some tear marks. Mine were on the drivers side. The revised parts seem to have come later on and are dealer request only, mine is a March 2017 car too. Check out the images attached.
13F14121-FC40-4856-AFDF-31E3CE843687.jpeg
C5613C1E-8EBB-4D0D-B5A7-6A5923581D1F.jpeg

RobT350C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible White
Above the doors, when the roof is up, you’ll see some tear marks. Mine were on the drivers side. The revised parts seem to have come later on and are dealer request only, mine is a March 2017 car too. Check out the images attached.
13F14121-FC40-4856-AFDF-31E3CE843687.jpeg
C5613C1E-8EBB-4D0D-B5A7-6A5923581D1F.jpeg
Thanks for the info, just checked mine and can't see any damage luckily. Did use the caps a fair bit last summer.

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info, just checked mine and can't see any damage luckily. Did use the caps a fair bit last summer.
And don’t use them again, no idea if the new ones actually fix the issue but the horror in getting it repaired isn’t worth the hassle.

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, I've got one of those marks on the divers side

@Tim_ if you don't mind me asking why are they taking so long to repair it? Judging from you comments above, they've had the car a very long time.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, I've got one of those marks on the divers side

@Tim_ if you don't mind me asking why are they taking so long to repair it? Judging from you comments above, they've had the car a very long time.
The first roof was supplied with a hole in it and collapsed mechanism. The second roof they’ve not managed to align correctly since October, now they’ve finished aligning it it’s now turned out one of the parts is faulty and requires replacing. It’s been me, the customer, that has found the issues at every stage they’ve said it was ready. The Fordstore has now said they’re refusing to touch convertibles ever again (yes, it’s under warranty)

It’s about £5k to get a new roof, and it will eventually split, so get it done under warranty. Just find a dealer that comes highly recommended. Virtually none have changed a roof in the UK though so it’s uncharteded territory for pretty much everyone.

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Crikey - that's not good.

I need to get the next few weeks of work out of the way, then the local dealer can have it to be looked at.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crikey - that's not good.

I need to get the next few weeks of work out of the way, then the local dealer can have it to be looked at.
It would be worth speaking to Hendy performance if your local dealer isn’t them or rated. I’m wishing I’d taken mine across the country to get it sorted it’s been such a saga.
Sponsored