Sponsored

Comp turbo+BSD=no need for oil cooler???

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
With all the excitement of big turbos on the horizon, I've been doing some thinking. If one were to use an oil less Comp turbo, I'd assume the oil wouldn't be getting as hot as a traditional turbo. The second half of my thought process, is a balance shaft delete. Years ago I did one on a Speed3, and oil capacity raised appx. 1.5 quarts. Do you guys think going this route would be a good enough measure to keep oil temps reasonable without the need for a cooler?
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I've never been fond of the idea of an oil less turbo. I don't think the BSD is a bad idea at all, but I'd probably just do that and run an oil cooler too. The OC probably isn't a necessity, but it's like one of those supporting/preventative maintenance mods to just help keep things in check.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
We will be doing some balance shaft delete R&D here within the next month. We just got our crank back from being pinned, next is a BSD.

I have an oil cooler on the way from Mishimoto I will be doing some testing on with our big turbo kit. I'll let you know the results when I have them.

-Adam

OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
Sounds great, im in for a BSD. I'm anxiously waiting on your intercooler and Accessport. The first of several orders I'll be putting in I'm sure.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
Why are you worried about oil temps?

Sponsored

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Why are you worried about oil temps?
I agree to a point but the tracks are still closed here, so I haven't been able to capture anymore data then what I see on the dyno and the streets on stock and our big turbo kit.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
^ yes and it was a genuine question, ie, if people are running into a situation where the engine is going into power reduction due to high oil temps (like a 370Z was notorious for) please let us all know so we can figure out when an oil cooler is really required. Like are we seeing this as a problem from serious track use, a problem from driving around a few back roads for fun, or even more common than that?

Either way, if the engine needs more oil cooling capacity, I think it would be easier to just give it more oil cooling capacity rather than trying relatively unknown and untested approaches like oil-less turbos.

OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
There was a debate over on the corvette forum about the pros and cons of the z51 oil cooler for a daily driver. If it takes longer to reach operating temp, daily driving in winter conditions would necessitate stupid long warm ups. That combined with the oil not getting beat down by the turbo heat.....I don't know. In theory i feel like it makes sense. I have NO experience with oil less turbos, so I can't speak about their reliability/performance. There's plenty of success stories of them on yellow bullet, ls1tech, turboforums etc.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Mishimoto's Oil Cooler has a thermostat option, so it would get up to temp at the same speed.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I have to say after road racing this car I HIGHLY reccomend an oil cooler.

This car should have come with one from the factory.

For a daily driver and drag racer it may not be needed but if you plan to autocross or road race you will absolutely need it.

I have more info on two threads I posted, including improvements before and after adding an oil cooler.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
I was unaware of the thermostat option on the Mishimoto, so that obviously gets rid of the concern of warm up time. My car is a daily, but since I plan on doing HPDE, it looks like it would be a sound investment. Anthony, I'll read up on your results, thanks. Adam, will the turbo kit be available without a turbo? Do you have an opinion on Comp oil less? Looks like your pushing PT, so if you don't wish to comment on them I get it.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
For any HPDE I would require an oil cooler and intercooler on this car. There is quite a bit of heat soak, and probably will go into limp mode like the 228 and 335 bmws.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
I was unaware of the thermostat option on the Mishimoto, so that obviously gets rid of the concern of warm up time. My car is a daily, but since I plan on doing HPDE, it looks like it would be a sound investment. Anthony, I'll read up on your results, thanks. Adam, will the turbo kit be available without a turbo? Do you have an opinion on Comp oil less? Looks like your pushing PT, so if you don't wish to comment on them I get it.
In the future we might offer our kit without the turbo, but for now I want to make sure we are shipping out kits that are safe for our customers. Self contained oil-less turbo's would be ideal for a car that wasn't originally designed with a turbo. I personally have no experience with an oil-less turbo, never had a reason to, oil fed turbo's work just fine. :thumbsup:

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Ecoboost Mustang
We run the Comp Oilless turbo on our Twincharged Mini, its performed flawlessly for nearly 2 years. We will also be using a MUCH larger version on our Ecoboost Mustang Twincharger system.

OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
Nice, have you noticed a oil temp changes when switching to the Comp? Does the Mini have an oil cooler?
Sponsored