Sponsored

Color difference in DRL of new headlight and stiff steering after front end collision

clubst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 conv ecoboost
Color difference in DRL of new headlight and stiff steering after accident

Recently, I have been involved in a front end collision. There was no visible damage on the engine, wheels and suspension but the radiator, front and side bumper and the hood with the parts attached to them are replaced.

One of the things replaced is the passenger side headlight assembly which has the daytime running lights (DRLs - 3 bars diode lights) in it. I notice that the replaced DLRs appears slightly yellower than the DLRs on the driver side (which are not changed). I remember they were the same color when I first purchased the vehicle, and wondering what might be the reason for the color difference. All the replaced parts including the headlight housing are OEM, so that's why I am confused. Does the color become more whiteish through time?

Also, I noticed the steering wheel is a bit more stiff compared to before the accident. Body shop told me it would take a while for it to go back to normal after the alignment they did. Also it is really cold here now and I did not have the chance to drive my car in cold weather before, so cold might be affecting it? Or, is this a power steering problem? I am not sure where the components for power steering is located and if they might be affected by the collision.

I have been following this forum for a while, and would not want my first post to be because of an accident. But well, it is part of life. Thanks much in advance for the responses!
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I can't speak to the DRL, but it's likely that the cold weather has the bushings and other rubber parts stiffened up, potentially making the steering effort greater. Your old parts could also have been worn, and new parts are returning it to the original-ish feel. Give it a few days and see what happens as the weather warms and the parts wear in.

JR

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
LEDs actually does get more blue over time as the phosphor age.

OP
OP

clubst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 conv ecoboost
As far the steering goes, I noticed that the tire pressures were low as it were sitting in the body shop for a while. As I inflated the tires, the steering felt a lot better. I remember it was still softer in the Summer though (before the crash). I think winter and cold weather is playing a role in the little higher stiffness.

Anyways, curios if this is true, I went to the dealer and test drove a 2018 Ecoboost, the steering felt almost as stiff as my car, so I think I dont really have that much of problem. Body shop also told the mechanic will test drive it but I dont think anything will come up from there as well.

For the DRLs, I still cannot believe phosphor in LED ages in 4-5 months, and why I have a color difference between the replaced and old DRL. :shrug:

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Is steering in sport mode? Above the ignition button are some buttons or levers depending on which option package you have. You can change the electronic power assist to be firmer or softer with those buttons. Try toggling that to see if it alleviates your concern. Maybe you were in regular or comfort before and someone toggled into a sport?

OP
OP

clubst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 conv ecoboost
Is steering in sport mode? Above the ignition button are some buttons or levers depending on which option package you have. You can change the electronic power assist to be firmer or softer with those buttons. Try toggling that to see if it alleviates your concern. Maybe you were in regular or comfort before and someone toggled into a sport?
Nah, I know all that modes but I only use the comfort. All the discussion above is based on when I am using the comfort mode only, so it is not related to the steering modes.
Sponsored