Sponsored

cobra jet crate engine - just a 5.0 aluminator sc with a whipple?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 mustang GT
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone can clarify whether or not there is any internal engine differences between the 2016 cobra jet crate motor and the low comp supercharged aluminator motor that ford performance offer (M6007A50SCA)?

It seems to me that the cobra jet motor is simply the aluminator with a 2.9 whipple? Would be very interested to see if someone could shed some light on this!

many thanks!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think I read somewhere that the CJ internals were a bit beefier than the basic mahle pistons/manley h means in the aluminator.

But still, the aluminator/whipple combo is very much on par with the full blown CJ setup. It makes sense since FRPP would build something similar to what is already out there on the market with the Cobra Jet car.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I stand corrected, the CJ engine is basically the same as the Aluminator

Engine used in the 2016 Mustang Cobra Jet

• Supercharged Ford Modular V8, 5.0-liter (302 cubic inches) displacement
  • 92.2mm bore x 92.7mm stroke
  • 9.5:1 compression ratio
  • 2.9L Whipple supercharger - front entry
  • Forged steel crankshaft
  • Billet steel gerotor oil pump
  • Mahle forged and anodized pistons with Grafal® coated skirts
  • Manley H-beam connecting rods with ARP 2000 bolts
  • 90lbs/hr DeatschWerks injectors
  • Aeromotive fuel rails
  • ATI SFI-approved crank damper
  • Electric water pump M-8501-M50CJ16 sold separately
  • Headers sold separately by American Racing Headers

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 mustang GT
Hey EFI,

That is what I read previously also ... I was hoping for the huge price difference there would be something different about it but it doesn't seem that way...

I have also seen it written that the cobra jet motor uses a different older version of the cam sensors that is not compatible with the s550...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I have also seen it written that the cobra jet motor uses a different older version of the cam sensors that is not compatible with the s550
Well there's versions of the CJ engine for both 11-14 and 15-16 model years, so the 2nd generation one is compatible with the 2nd generation Coyote in the S550.

Sponsored

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Out of curiosity, are the H-Beam connecting rods that much stronger than the gen 2 coyote rods that they felt the need to replace them. Plus wouldn't their I-Beams be better and more worth it since I think they actually are the strongest options? Coming from turbo-4 cars, most people would get H-Beams if aiming for 500s-600s with a big turbo build, but I-Beams would be needed for anything higher...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
They are, especially on a boosted application. I remember reading an article on Boss 302 sanctioned racing where the teams were allowed to modify the connecting rods in an otherwise sealed engine competition due to the nature of the racing.

Not as much as previous years, but it's still a beefier rod for sure. The gen 2 rods are solid, but won't be as reliable with 700+hp for as long as a true forged still H beam.

Forged steel I beams are stronger yes, given the brand and stuff. There's a few companies out there making "budget" I beams (Scat for example) but those are not on the same level as Callies or Oliver I beams.

Out of curiosity, are the H-Beam connecting rods that much stronger than the gen 2 coyote rods that they felt the need to replace them. Plus wouldn't their I-Beams be better and more worth it since I think they actually are the strongest options? Coming from turbo-4 cars, most people would get H-Beams if aiming for 500s-600s with a big turbo build, but I-Beams would be needed for anything higher...

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
They are, especially on a boosted application. I remember reading an article on Boss 302 sanctioned racing where the teams were allowed to modify the connecting rods in an otherwise sealed engine competition due to the nature of the racing.

Not as much as previous years, but it's still a beefier rod for sure. The gen 2 rods are solid, but won't be as reliable with 700+hp for as long as a true forged still H beam.

Forged steel I beams are stronger yes, given the brand and stuff. There's a few companies out there making "budget" I beams (Scat for example) but those are not on the same level as Callies or Oliver I beams.
Yeah budget I-Beams sound like a bad idea lol. Any connecting rods that are considered "budget" aren't a good idea. How many Eagle or K1 rods have I seen bent...but they also cost way less than the big brands. Good for small power and a basic rebuild/upgrade though good for less than 450WTQ.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 mustang GT
Well there's versions of the CJ engine for both 11-14 and 15-16 model years, so the 2nd generation one is compatible with the 2nd generation Coyote in the S550.

I did some digging today and got in contact with a few shops and ford performance...this is what I was told: there were only 56 coyote cobra jet motors built over all years and they all ran the older cam sensor design ...

Guess this means we can't put them in the S550 without changing the engine management system ... :(
Sponsored