Sponsored

Cobb Tunes and where I should go next

Electrolight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I bought my '16 EB Mustang MT back in January and have been loving modding it over the past few months but I'm curios were to go next. So far I've got MMR CAI, UPR catch can, 3in catless DP and Muffler delete, Boomba Racing BOV adapter, and my most resent addition was a Cobb Access Port. My car is my daily driver but I've also taken a liking to the occasional drag race at the local strip. My best 1/4 mile so far was a 13.7.

I've been running the Cobb stage 1 93 Oct. tune since I got my AP, could I bump it up to the stage 2 or even 3? I haven't really been able to find any information online about the differences between the three.

Also my next event is in a week on the 27th and I have $400 to spend on last minute upgrades, what would you guys suggest I grab to get the best bang for my buck?
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Definitely a front mount intercooler! Should have gone there earlier.

And 1 step colder plugs gapped to .026

eXtremyst_v1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost PP
I think people were saying the stage 2 and 3 should only be used with Cobb's hardparts that correspond with the stage. Pretty sure you'd be better off sticking with stage 1.

Definitely pick up an intercooler asap. The stock one won't be able to keep up with your mods, it barely even holds up on a stock configuration.

ecoboosting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Ecoboost PP
So stage 2 ots is designed for intercooler with intake and stage 3 is intercooler and full cat back exhaust and intake. Wth that being said I ran all 3 ots before with all my mods listed below. I honestly didn't see much increase in power. The Cobb ots tunes are designed for Cobb products specifically, so to fully utilize your cars potential you should get it pro tuned by a tuner of your choice. My car on the Cobb ots tunes didn't feel fast to me at all. I just recently am finishing up my tune with Ryan at pd-tuning and he has done an amazing job! He knows what he's doing. I'm gonna write a review on my experience with him I'm just waiting on dynoing my car so I can post those with it. But a member recently posted with bolt ons making 358whp and 400wtq with Ryan.

ecoboosting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Ecoboost PP
Also like they stated above grab an intercooler. Especially if your gonna go dragging. If you don't after one pull your cars already gonna be losing power due to major heak soak and it pulling timing. Turbo cars are all about keeping it cool so it can perform consistently. The intercooler will help do that

Sponsored

OP
OP
Electrolight

Electrolight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Thanks guys, I will look into intercoolers. Any suggestions on one around $400?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Look at Levels for low price great performance

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Don't skip the plugs though. I wouldn't run any tune without better plugs. 1 step colder, Denso, Brisk or NGK

OP
OP
Electrolight

Electrolight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
The levels FMIC looks great but is out of my current price range. I guess Ill shop around a little more.

ecoboosting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Ecoboost PP
Look at forum classified I got mine for around 500

Sponsored

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
Stick with Stage One until you get an actual tune (Etune or from an experienced tuning shop). Even if I had Cobb's exact parts for their stage 2 or 3, I wouldn't use them.
And you definitely need an intercooler to support your mods and tuning goals.

OP
OP
Electrolight

Electrolight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Any good opinions on the FFTec Performance Intercooler? $450 seems like a good reasonable price.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Any good opinions on the FFTec Performance Intercooler? $450 seems like a good reasonable price.
If you have the accesport, there's only one way to go and that's tune +

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
An intercooler should have been Priority No. 1, but even though it wasn't, it should be now. I would not run anything more than the Stage 1 OTS tune, even with an intercooler upgrade. The Stage 2 and 3 OTS tunes were designed with Cobb's hardware upgrades and are meant to work properly with only those parts. You might be able to run it with other hardware and get away with it, but it's a practice that's not generally recommended. Also, as others have mentioned, get a range colder plugs. It'll help mitigate any issues with detonation (knock).

In regards to intercooler upgrades, I'd always suggest the Levels Performance Street unit, but since your budget is around $400, I'd look around on the various Facebook groups. Lexi Fruggiero has been trying to sell her old FFTec FMIC. It was the more expensive one with the Garrett core too, iirc. She was wanting around $400, so hit her up on Facebook and see if you can get something worked out like that. Keep your eyes on the Classifieds section here too!

Edit: BOOSTED-SVO has a CP-e FMIC for $400 in the Classifieds. That'd be an excellent option for $400, and I'd definitely grab that if I was in your place.

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I will be selling my map intercooler next week for $380 shipped if interested just let me know. I would also suggest a custom tune via one of the many tuners for your access port as well to be able and fully utilize it, good luck!
Sponsored