Hmmm, now I'm contemplating putting mine back in :(

I will run some tests this weekend!
Sponsored

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic 5.0 PP Recaros
I took the spring out, took it for a drive and loved it, came back home read pages 19-current and put the spring back in.. would be nice for an aftermarket company to design an very light spring that just ensured that the clutch would return to fully extended position when released but took away that compound bow torque point feel to it.

MJS-P51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic Metallic
Someone mentioned a few pages back that this mod has been around since about '11 or '12 on the S197's so if there was some negative long term affects wouldn't we have heard about it by now?

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Someone mentioned a few pages back that this mod has been around since about '11 or '12 on the S197's so if there was some negative long term affects wouldn't we have heard about it by now?
Depends on your definition of "long term." I plan on keeping my car for more than 5 years.

CaptainCrash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Removed mine. Awesome. I have driven stick my whole life. I currently have the 15 GT and a Focus ST. They both have a spring in the pedal mechanism. I have no problem with the ST. I had a 2012 GT and had no problem with that, or my Mazdaspeed 3, which had a clutch like an on/off switch - so much so I would let friends drive it just to laugh at them/watch them stall it.

The 15 however it had to go. After about 3 weeks I still could not shift smoothly.

I know from the ST forum some remove there spring and have the pedal travel (loose at top). - So check over there for long term issues - if your that arsed.

Me I am leaving it out. If it shortens the life of the bearing thingy so be it!

Sponsored

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
I currently have the 15 GT and a Focus ST. They both have a spring in the pedal mechanism. I have no problem with the ST.
From your visual inspection, are the springs different between the two? Can you put the Focus one on the GT and see if it makes a difference?

CaptainCrash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
From your visual inspection, are the springs different between the two? Can you put the Focus one on the GT and see if it makes a difference?
I have not looked personally but believe they are different from what I have read.

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
P.S. while it is super simple to remove the spring it is a PITA to put it back.
This is the freaking truth! Try doing it at night with a lantern in the floor of the car lol. I had to bring out channel locks to compress the spring. 2 minutes to take off, 25 to get back on.

I could definitely feel some play in the top of the clutch so I decided I would put mine back in. The clutch is so light now that I've gotten use to it without the spring :(

To any vendors reading, count me in if you can come up with a solution to keep the clutch all the way up!

HETPE3B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pony
Folks who have this spring out. Can you please measure (the more precise - the better) the dimensions shown on the picture? I have mine installed back so I cannot do it.

Sponsored

Timo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Mustang GT PP
I actually looked into getting a lighter one from Associated Spring. The closest i could get should reduce the force by around 60% but would require a 0.200" spacer to stack up the same. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post more details. Plan to order the spring next week and try it out.

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
I actually looked into getting a lighter one from Associated Spring. The closest i could get should reduce the force by around 60% but would require a 0.200" spacer to stack up the same. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post more details. Plan to order the spring next week and try it out.
Definitely interested in the results!

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Folks who have this spring out. Can you please measure (the more precise - the better) the dimensions shown on the picture? I have mine installed back so I cannot do it.

In millimeters...

wire dia:5
free length:56
pitch:18
ID:32
OD:42
Mean can be computed from ID/OD/dia.