Sponsored

Clutch Pedal drop.. Returns after Pumping.. Air..? Leaks..? Master..?

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
So after spending quite a time using the new search function to little effect.. I had to make a new post.

First noticed that the pedal has dropped about 1-1 1/2 inches from fully up when I got in the car yesterday morning. 10 minutes of pumping lifted the pedal and all was OK.

Following a total clutch failure in March, I have replaced the complete clutch & flywheel (Exedy Mach 300), new slave, added Steeda braided line, fixed the reservoir hose fitting issue...

Vacuum bled the complete system Brakes and Clutch last night, as I am off to the track in 2 weeks. Vacuum was good, holding for 10 minutes using a Mityvac direct to the Fill cap.
Came out to the car again this morning.. Same thing, clutch pedal down. returned after pumping.

We will get under the car tonight for much closer inspection of all the fittings.

Any ideas..?

Master Cylinder - Slave (Again) - Leaks (obviously, but will check again) - Air in system

Anyone seen issues of Slaves failing prematurely.?
I don't really want to have the complete tranny out again, but if its a must, then I guess it will be.

Thanks in advance.
Bridgie
Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I had a similar issue and it was the pressure plate not tightened all the way by the transmission shop that installed the new clutch (similar to yours).

This damaged the throwout bearing as well. I replaced the master cylinder thinking it must be that but that was not the issue. I put up a You Tube video on that install.

Did you install the clutch? If there is no oil on the ground there is not leak unless it is internal to the master cylinder or slave TOB.

I got sick of guessing so I pulled trans myself and found the issue. Good news is the shop gave me all my money back and a new TOB and properly installing the clutch solved the problem. I wish you luck because this issue is infuriating.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Mine will bleed down to the floor so much that it starts to make shifting difficult. If I pull the pedal back up with my foot everything is back to normal. No pumping needed, no fluid loss, no visible leaks. Happens in a matter of days once every 2-3 months. I really need to take it in under warranty and have the master replaced.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Most times this happens it's the master

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I just had the master replaced under warranty. They dropped the trans to make sure it wasn't the slave as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bridgie

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I swapped my Master and all is now good..!!
Very slight nick in the diaphragm.

A bit of a pain to get out and fit, ensuring you have the right one, clip on or Pin retention..!!
Early models are different from latest 2018’s.. nooption from Ford but to buy the latest Master which costs $150+... I bought the Rock auto and made a retaining pin fit.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Yea they are not fun to change out. I made a video and put it on You Tube. Glad you found the problem, it is infuriating when a clutch is giving you grief.
Sponsored