Check Engine Light Code Question

Poman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hello everybody. I thought I'd check in here and see if anybody has any info/suggestions to a check engine light that just popped up. It popped up a couple days ago when I was pulling into a parking space, stopped by O'Reillys today and had them check the code for me. The tech actually said "What the .....? Never seen that before". The code is a P1450, the description was "unable to bleed up engine fuel vacuum". I did a little searching, but couldn't find much Mustang specific info.

I've seen people saying that it probably has to do with the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid and/or the Vapor Canister Purge valve. Some people say it's a fairly easy parts swap out, others say it's a disaster trying to swap in a new part. I don't know if any of that is true, or if that's even the issue.

Anybody have any experience with this issue? I'd like to believe it could be a 10 minute part switch like others have claimed. Should I just take it to Ford? Thoughts? Advice?

The vehicle is a 2016 PP GT, manual transmission, 25K miles on it, so obviously out of warranty, but hasn't had any issues up until now. Thanks for any info!
Sponsored

Last edited:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I did a Google search on ā€˜p1450 mustangā€™ and quite a bit of info and YouTube videos came up pointing to the same thing. Give that a try.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Replace the purge valve , cheap to do and most likely the cause of the cel .

OP
OP
Poman

Poman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Replace the purge valve , cheap to do and most likely the cause of the cel .
Any personal experience? I'm curious which end of the spectrum to expect, as I see it being said it's a pain, and others saying it's not so bad.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd probably replace it myself, if it's indeed that easy and cheap. But isn't emisisons components warranted for 8 years/80K miles???

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Purge valve will slap you in the face. Easy to change . Most likely if you take the line going to the tank off and there is vacuum at the valve it is bad . It is the number one cause of p1450 .

OP
OP
Poman

Poman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd probably replace it myself, if it's indeed that easy and cheap. But isn't emisisons components warranted for 8 years/80K miles???
Wow! I've never heard of that, but I think you're correct. Not sure how I never knew that! Good looking out, appreciate it.

OP
OP
Poman

Poman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Purge valve will slap you in the face. Easy to change . Most likely if you take the line going to the tank off and there is vacuum at the valve it is bad . It is the number one cause of p1450 .
Appreciate the info.

OP
OP
Poman

Poman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am getting this code as well. Pops up at least once a month recently.

https://help.ford.com/warranty/emissions-defect-warranty/

According to the link above, it appears the Evap system is covered for 80k or 8 years, whichever comes first.
Yea my light clicked off a couple days ago as well. Hasn't come back yet, but when it does I'll just run it to Ford. I'm amazed I never knew about the 80/8 warranty before on emissions systems. Cheers.

Sponsored

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
Yea my light clicked off a couple days ago as well. Hasn't come back yet, but when it does I'll just run it to Ford. I'm amazed I never knew about the 80/8 warranty before on emissions systems. Cheers.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
So I figured I would take my car to the dealer for this fix. I was told the emissions warranty is 6 years/80k on my car. I was 8 days past the 6 year point but I had a diagnostic print-out showing the P1450 code that was dated more than 30 days prior. The service advisor said my print-out does not matter because it's not from Ford.

I've had so many problems with Ford dealers in the last 2 years I am re-evaluating my brand loyalty.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
The 8 year / 80,000 mile warranty is a federally mandated emissions warranty. Never heard of a 6 year version, I don't think thatā€™s a thing. Iā€™d pick a different dealer if they gave you that excuse. Now, that said, the emissions warranty may not cover this problem, I believe it specifically names certain components, like engine ECU and catalytic converters. It may be different for each manufacturer.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The emissions warranty is 8-yr/80K-miles by law, and it should cover anything affecting emissions. I'd talk to Ford corporate if needed, but you could try contacting the EPA if not resolved. Good luck.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
The emissions warranty is 8-yr/80K-miles by law, and it should cover anything affecting emissions. I'd talk to Ford corporate if needed, but you could try contacting the EPA if not resolved. Good luck.
I have print-out of it now and will try again
Sponsored