Chattering sound?

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
I noticed this noise under light acceleration last week. Parked the car and took it out last night for a few minutes to try and get a vid. The sound wasn't very audible so I searched YouTube and found a video of the exact same noise my car is making, only not as loud.

Comments suggest piston slap or, according to the owner, a cracked exhaust flange at the headers.

I'm going to check under the car when I get home, although I likely won't be able to see anything. Going to try and get it on a lift somewhere.
Sponsored

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
That sounds like timing chain rattling due to the tensioners loosing oil pressure. It's the first sign the oil pump pressure control valve is failing. Keep an eye on the oil pressure!

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Was this on a cold engine? I was looking for the oil temp but you didn't have it selected on you guage display. First thing I do is thumb over to the display guages when I start the car. Anyway, did the noise go away after warm up?

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I have that exact noise on my car, except it happens around 5k RPM. I can also get it to chatter when I am at a standstill revving my engine.

Same issue on my old and new GT350R motor replacement I got a week ago. Once I narrow down when exactly when it happens, then I'll take it to the dealer, along with how to get it to act up.

Doesn't always happen, but it's usually when the engine is fully warmed up.
Sponsored