Changing a USA Sync 3 Nav to another country region

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
Does anyone know how they change the USA Sync 3 Nav to run in another country region?
Also a digital dash to a primary KPH speedo reading.
I know you can change the reading from the dash setting that has the primary MPH and the smaller KPH under the MPH.
Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sadly, changing the dash from mph to kph is quite difficult. Not even flashing the IPC firmware from a European vehicle wouldn't achieve that, because the firmware is the same. I checked some VINs for Euro and US Mustangs, and they all have the same software part number in the IPC. What differs is the hardware part number, which suggests that the mph/kph thing is in the EEPROM. I believe the EEPROM can be reprogrammed, but it's a risky procedure and requires direct access to a donor car.
I've looked into this recently, because I wanted to make my speedo go up to 300 km/h like the one in the Bullitt does. I was hoping I could just flash the Bullitt firmware into my IPC, using ForScan or UCDS. But no, no such luck. :frown:

As for Sync 3, yes, it can be changed to another region with ForScan. I don't know the codes, but there's a long thread in the DIY section dedicated to ForScan changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
@Vlad Soare Thank you for your info.

The Canadian model mustangs are factory metric (KPH), then is the EEPROM in the unit or otherwise? If so then would it be just replace the dash bin?
I suppose the KPH dash EEPROM is part of the dash bin will require my Vin # reprogrammed into it.

I will have a look at the ForScan region change.
I have been told the factory Nav is not as good as the Android Auto Google Maps I am using at the moment.
Just don't want to brick the Sync unit.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm looking in Etis at two 2020 MY VINs, one US and one Canadian, which were produced around the same time. And here's what I see:

IPC.png

As you can see, the software is identical. This kills any hope of getting away with just a firmware reflash.
The second to last letter in the assembly number indicates that there's either a hardware difference (highly unlikely, because then I would have expected something different in the first group of letters as well) or a different programming of the EEPROM (most likely).

The EEPROM holds various internal calibrations and also, I think, the odometer.

I think the easiest and safest (though sadly expensive) option would be to replace your IPC with a Canadian one. Or with any other metric one for that matter.

OP
OP

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Vlad.
I thought to compliance a USA import 2020+ mustang for the likes of Europe it would be a requisite to be metric.
I will just live with it and use Android Auto for the maps and the plus side is there are more world radio stations to listen to with the apps.
Sponsored