Sponsored

Challenger wheels

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Not sure if this is the correct section, but if anyone could help out I would really appreciate it. As some of you know I traded my Mustang in for a 1320 a little over a month ago. I like some things about it, but there have been numerous issues since then and I'm second guessing my decision. Most have to do with quality and also interior lighting, but my main issue right now are the wheels. I know not Dodges fault with this one, but I bought some good used 18" wheels with winter tires from another scat pack owner before I even picked up my Challenger and had planned on using them for this winter season here in NW Ohio. The car came with 20" drag spec tires which are no good in colder temperatures.

Anyway, we attempted to put the wheels on last week and the rears went on fine with over an inch clearance to the brakes. The fronts on the other hand did not fit. The wheel is hitting the caliper and I don't know why as the previous owner had them on his scat for two seasons without issues and I thought the brakes were the same. From a rough estimate (I know I should have measured when I had the wheel off), it looks like about an inch to inch and a quarter the wheel expands a bit to the inside so I'm figuring a 1.5" spacer may be enough to clear the calipers barely. Do you guys think this is a good idea to just install them on the fronts? Will there be any issues with drivability as far tracking or any extra wear on the car for a couple months? I asked the guys on the Challenger forum and they are not very helpful. A couple people have said to install them on all four wheel, which is an option I guess but I really don't want to do that as I am not very handy and had my dad help me with the rear wheels, but I had to borrow his tools and he is getting older and sounds like he doesn't really want to help with the rest of the wheels. I just purchased my own jack, but the brochure is not even clear about where the jack locations are and we just winged it and used areas on the frame near the wheels. There are supposed to be some jack pads installed on the rear too, but we couldn't find them.

Another option is to try and find some 19" wheels, but I would like them to somewhat match the rears and it looks like they don't make the vision 5 mag type wheels in that size and I couldn't seem to find anything that looked similar. They also suggested I just get a whole new set of wheels and tires from tire rack, but that would be quite pricey. More than likely in the 1.4k range at least and I already spent over 600 on these wheels. I know I could try to sell them, but that will take time and I am running up against it now as far as the weather getting nasty this year. I had also thought about getting a winter beater, preferably a 4WD truck but with the current used car spike, it is looking extremely unlikely to find anything decent in my current budget of 1.5k or less. At this point I'm even considering trying to trade it in and going back to a Mustang since I still have a winter set of wheels for it, but know I would take at least a 5k hit. I know probably a crazy idea as I haven't even made my first payment on it yet. Plus I got the 0% financing and hate to give that up. The only good thing is I did get it at 1k under invoice and got 20k in trade equity so I shouldn't be in that bad of a position if I were to go that route. I did pony up and got the extended warranty and wheel coverage for the first time ever too and that is looking like it may have also been a mistake.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would first try to use the spacers on the front with the wheels. Drive it with the front wheel spacers and see how you like the feel. If all feels good you are OK.