Center dash trim rattle! Need advise

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hi everyone. Since I bought the car I've noted buzzing and rattle in the center aluminum/carbon fiber trim. I took the trim out a few months ago and put some felt tape around it but I've noted that it's still creeks over the bumpy road.

This time I took out the trim and wanted to show you guys the back part of the trim to get some advice from you on what should I do. Should I put foam everywhere around the trim that creeks? I feel like the trim is not well made and it's very flimsy rather.

PHOTO_20200918_194032.jpg

PHOTO_20200918_194026.jpg
+1 on electrical tape on the tabs.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I used some round rubber washer and cut it in pieces, then placed it on top area of the vents. No more rattle.

Btw my doors are rattling too. I am thinking should I take it to the dealer or do it myself. Let me know when you remove yours and see what you find.
Glad I could help :). On the doors, they only rattle on rough pavement, but the car is so loud there, that it didn't bothered me enough to mess with them. So will leave them alone at least for now. But what I'd like to do is quiet the damn car some. If I was to do that (wish there was a local owner who wanted to do that, to do it together), then I'd tackle the doors at the same time for sure. One thing I'm waiting to see how much impact it makes is new ultra-high-performance-all-season tires, but my car just passed 2K miles, so that's quite a ways out. Any constant rattle/noise I'd tackle immediately, but so far, the doors are not doing it constantly yet.

If you do it, let me know how it went :). But remember to go after EVERYTHING possible. Good luck.

+1 on electrical tape on the tabs.
I have a much better solution that unfortunately, found after removing the dash. It's called 'TESA tape'. It's a magic tape. Super thin, sticks like glue, and it's like cloth. Get it :).

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Hey gang, for the vents and/or central gauges, there's no need to remove anything. I did, and still didn't fix the noises. What fixed it was shoving a small piece of rubber at the top (12 o'clock), which I cut out of a rubber washer I had laying around from some bicycle product. Made a little rectangle, shoved it all the way with a thin trim tool, and it's invisible, and zero noise now. Unfortunately, now my freaking door panels are making a racket, so will reluctantly have to remove them, and secure everything on the panels and inside the door. The last annoying rattle I'll have to tackle is the damn C-pillar one, but no idea what the hell that is. Stupid car; it's the worst I've ever owned in rattles (especially when new) by far. Oh well.
So I went to the local dealer to get my glove box realigned. I removed the small rubber washer from vents and asked the dealer to look at it. Also asked them to listen to door rattles. They called me they can't replicate the noise:(
Sponsored