CD Player

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Hello; This make the assumption every one has a "smart" phone. I do not need nor want a smart phone. I have a TracFone for which I buy a service card every three months. I think it has some internet capacity but have never turned it on. It has accumulated about 4300 megabytes of data. Don't know if that is a lot. I carry that phone when on the road as a just in case.
Are you aware that your TracFone will soon become inoperable ? They utilize Verizon: "Tracfone uses Verizon's networks, and Verizon is shutting down their 2G and 3G networks which will affect any Tracfone CDMA devices using these networks. Verizon has been planning this closure for several years and planning accordingly by including VoLTE with the phones they sell."
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Wouldn’t be surprised if the CD player goes away completely when the mustang moves to Sync 4.
Has anyone tried high resolution audio on the B&O system? How does it handle it? Like 24bit 96kHz?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Are you aware that your TracFone will soon become inoperable ? They utilize Verizon: "Tracfone uses Verizon's networks, and Verizon is shutting down their 2G and 3G networks which will affect any Tracfone CDMA devices using these networks. Verizon has been planning this closure for several years and planning accordingly by including VoLTE with the phones they sell."
Hello; No I do not know anything about this. A few years ago I had a flip phone version which was 2G I think. They told me I had to upgrade so I bought an LGL15G phone which uses their service. It uses Android version 4.4.2 whatever that is.
I will find some other basic phone if they quit. I only have around $20 in the phone with $20 every three months. I lived most of my life without a mobile phone. I like having the security of a phone on the road but the thing lays on a desk when at home.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
Oh noes! Gonna have to enter the 21st century kicking and screaming
I only just got a 4g smart because of this. Purposely purchased my 19GT 2 yrs ago because in HAS the CD player. Not everyone wants to have 1,000's of app's on a phone that end up running your life.

Tell me Mik how many photo's do you take with your cell phone vs your camera? Same difference IMHO.

Yes I will also admit I'm too stupid to even figure out how to rip cd's to my laptop. I looked it up a few times by can't seem to get it to work. I'm over 60 and not really interested in ALL the tech coming. Guess it will give me something to do when I retire in a few months!!!

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Let's see...Gmail, Maps, Spotify, banking, investing, weather, notepad, and couple of lighting control apps. Not quite 1000's, nor even 100's. Hell, I couldn't even muster a dozen.

As far as taking pictures, any cellphone shots are basically for reference. I hardly even consider them pictures. The ratio has to be at least 1:500 against what I'll shoot with the camera. Not sure how this is relevant though. I can go on at great length about the limitations of cellphone cameras vs a "real" camera.

Much in the same way that one can talk about audio quality, especially in regards to CD's. There we're talking about 44.1 kHz at 16-bits. That's very easy to replicate with FLAC. But if you're really into audio, you're going to want hi-res files. Those will step up into the 24-bit range and with sample rates well beyond "CD quality". Files like that don't fit on CD's. You can, however buy a 512gb flash drive for under $100 that'll fit 1000's of hi-res tracks.
Hello; Banking and investing on a smart phone? Not for me. I have yet to do credit card business online. Too risky in my opinion. I may be wrong about the risk in some ways, but have gotten by so far.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
How do you think banking and investing are done at the bank? Stocks and reserve notes aren't made of paper anymore. Everything is done electronically. Whether you directly participate or not, your life is entangled in the internet.

Using a credit card online is safer than at a store. PoS machines are often compromised. Proper end-to-end encryption less so. Besides, the consumer protections and alerting you get with credit cards are fantastic. Fraud/potentially fraudulent purchases result in support immediately reaching out to resolve the issue. Meanwhile, the one time my debit account was hacked, it took months for the money to be recovered.
Hello; True there are some things I cannot control. I do not add to the exposure with what may be a less secure personal phone or internet connection.
A credit card used as little as possible also helps.

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
So if I've got this correctly, if you want to play your own music in a new Mustang that doesn't come with a CD player, you get a USB stick and load it up with tunes in an MP3 format. Then plug it in somewhere in the dash and play away?
I'm not too tech savvy, so this stuff is 'kinda new to me. I much prefer the "basic" options on a car, but it's getting harder to avoid them because they come with more than I need now.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So if I've got this correctly, if you want to play your own music in a new Mustang that doesn't come with a CD player, you get a USB stick and load it up with tunes in an MP3 format. Then plug it in somewhere in the dash and play away?
I'm not too tech savvy, so this stuff is 'kinda new to me. I much prefer the "basic" options on a car, but it's getting harder to avoid them because they come with more than I need now.
Either that or through your phone connected through the USB. They also make a wireless device for CarPlay or Android Auto.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I can talk a bit about one method. Most, if not all, new vehicles have a USB port or two. I have been taking two memory sticks which plug into a USB port the last few years when I go to look at a new vehicle. One one memory stick there are songs in MP3 format and on the other are WMA format songs. Turns out some vehicles will only play the MP3 format. Others such as Ford have played both so far.

What is the difference between MP3 and WMA. Many years ago I started adding music from store bought CD's onto a computer. Not knowing what the future would bring I picked WMA format to take the music off the CD and put it into a computer program. WMA because it is supposed to keep all the digital information just as it is on the CD itself. In other words a more true copy of the music. This format takes up more space on a computer hard drive or, for that matter, on a memory stick.

MP3 is a different format to do the same thing. It take less space on a disc because it re-uses some of the music which repeats. Say a drum beat which repeats over and over during a song. So instead of copying every drum beat in a song as played the MP3 format saves space by reusing a short copy of the drum beat over and over again. I think it is called compression. Works well enough I guess, but by definition some stuff is being left out. MP3 apparently is a more commonly used one for things such as smart phones because a lot more tunes can be added in total number. Apparently those using and building these devices consider it a good trade off to lose some fidelity so as to get more individual tunes.

To be clear I do not have a lot of listening time with either of these formats. Just some short time during a test drive. May be I cannot hear any difference. Problem is, for me, I already have hundreds of CD's ripped onto a computer in WMA format. So when I go car shopping it is important that the car plays both. So far the Fords do play both.

One more thing. I use a windows computer with windows 10. On that there is a program called Windows Media Player. It is a stock program and have used it for a few years. So if you have windows 10 you already have it. Not too hard to use.
Years ago I had an aftermarket program on a windows 95 computer. Had more features. So I guess there are such programs out there now.

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
Either that or through your phone connected through the USB. They also make a wireless device for CarPlay or Android Auto.
Got it, thank you. I've only got a flip phone so it's USB for me.....

And thanks for the great info sk47, as I do have the Windows Media Player using Windows 10. I'll check out just what I can do with this program. I believe you are correct about "compression" in the MP3 format (using repeated bits of sound), but better than me singing.....
Technology is great if you understand it and actually have a use for it.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Got it, thank you. I've only got a flip phone so it's USB for me.....

And thanks for the great info sk47, as I do have the Windows Media Player using Windows 10. I'll check out just what I can do with this program. I believe you are correct about "compression" in the MP3 format (using repeated bits of sound), but better than me singing.....
Technology is great if you understand it and actually have a use for it.
Hello; Back a year or two ago the DVD player on a laptop stopped working. So I purchased an external DVD player which plugged into a USB port on the laptop. So if your computer does not have a DVD player you can get around it that way. I bought a new laptop with a built in DVD player and have the external DVD player in a box.

If you need help I may be able to help with the Media Player.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
My opinion, yes I'm a millenial, but... I have a nice collection of CDs and now I'm collecting Vinyls.

No need for CDs in the cars these day. Just pay Spotify, make your own playlist and dowload them also in your phone. If you lose signal, the playlist will continue to play. You can set up a high bit rate and will sound great. You can use bluetooth or apple/android play.

I believe also Amazon is doing HD music in their prime music app. I've been using spotify for about 10 yrs already, I haven't bough a CD in long time. I also have my account linked to my SoundHound, if I like a song the app will send it directly to my Spotify SoundHound playlist.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
My opinion, yes I'm a millenial, but... I have a nice collection of CDs and now I'm collecting Vinyls.

No need for CDs in the cars these day. Just pay Spotify, make your own playlist and dowload them also in your phone. If you lose signal, the playlist will continue to play. You can set up a high bit rate and will sound great. You can use bluetooth or apple/android play.

I believe also Amazon is doing HD music in their prime music app. I've been using spotify for about 10 yrs already, I haven't bough a CD in long time. I also have my account linked to my SoundHound, if I like a song the app will send it directly to my Spotify SoundHound playlist.
Hello; This is fine for those of you who want and have smart phones. I also think it is fine for those who do not want a CD player to not have a CD player in a new vehicle. Why should you pay for a CD player if you do not want one?

What I want is to have the option to have a CD player in a vehicle since I do want one. The first car I looked at without a CD player was Honda Civic. I asked the dealer if I could get a CD player installed. After a while the salesman said, with a straight face, yes for $2400 they would put one in.
Sponsored