Sponsored

Catch can dilemma

Kairus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I want to put a catch can on my EB, but I would want to take it off before I bring it into Ford for maintenance. I got a nice deal on the maintenance plan, so every 5k miles I'll be at my dealer for oil changes. For now, the mods need to be easy to remove. Just planning on an intake, intercooler upgrade and a tune. Seriously considering picking up a downpipe too, but I need to think on it a bit longer.

The UPR dual valve system looks great, but it also seems like it will be a real chore to take off and put back on all the time. Is the single valve system worth it? How long does it take to install?
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
You should just talk to your dealer and see what they are ok with as far as mods go. No reason a catch can should be a problem for them as it adds 0 power, it just keeps the engine from getting dirty...

Also, the dealer can see how many times the ECU has been flashed so they'll know you were tuned even if you return it to stock.

Edit: I actually think the IC would be way more of a PITA to take on and off than a catch can as well.

OP
OP

Kairus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
You should just talk to your dealer and see what they are ok with as far as mods go. No reason a catch can should be a problem for them as it adds 0 power, it just keeps the engine from getting dirty...

Also, the dealer can see how many times the ECU has been flashed so they'll know you were tuned even if you return it to stock.
Yeah but when I bring my car in for an oil change they're not going to check the ecu, they'll notice other mods. I'll have to talk to the service manager at my local dealer. I don't really think they'll tell me much though.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Yeah but when I bring my car in for an oil change they're not going to check the ecu, they'll notice other mods. I'll have to talk to the service manager at my local dealer. I don't really think they'll tell me much though.
You'd be surprised how often they plug into the computer. People have had their ECU's corrupted or tunes flashed over during normal maintenance at the dealer.

For instance, if the dealer notices an updated software version for your car, they likely won't ask you about it, they'll just flash it while it's in for maintenance.

OP
OP

Kairus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
You'd be surprised how often they plug into the computer. People have had their ECU's corrupted or tunes flashed over during normal maintenance at the dealer.

For instance, if the dealer notices an updated software version for your car, they likely won't ask you about it, they'll just flash it while it's in for maintenance.
Isn't that why you return to stock before bringing it in?

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Isn't that why you return to stock before bringing it in?
Yeah, point being why bother hiding your mods? If your dealer doesn't like tunes your warranty is gone and there's no way to hide that you've done that one. I was just trying to point out some things to think about.
Sponsored