Sponsored

Cat deletes

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody ever do this alone and measure gains from it? Been thinking about it, but not quite sure if it's worth it.

Plan would be either the Lethal Performance off-road legs (because that's the only one I can find really?) or just taking it to my exhaust shop and having them weld resonators in place of the cats instead. I already bought the "adapters" to avoid a CEL and don't want to deal with the potential breaking down of high flow cats, plus I'm in Florida so inspections aren't a thing.

One issue I can think of it whether it will fit with the GT catback pipes I started with? I'm guessing yes because it goes from the headers (I have shorties, if the flange connect is the same, should bolt up) to the catback which bolted right up before anyway...

Thoughts?
Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Anybody ever do this alone and measure gains from it? Been thinking about it, but not quite sure if it's worth it.

Plan would be either the Lethal Performance off-road legs (because that's the only one I can find really?) or just taking it to my exhaust shop and having them weld resonators in place of the cats instead. I already bought the "adapters" to avoid a CEL and don't want to deal with the potential breaking down of high flow cats, plus I'm in Florida so inspections aren't a thing.

One issue I can think of it whether it will fit with the GT catback pipes I started with? I'm guessing yes because it goes from the headers (I have shorties, if the flange connect is the same, should bolt up) to the catback which bolted right up before anyway...

Thoughts?
IMHO Not worth it unless you have a specific application that benefits from doing this i.e. boosting. Yes you can expect some gains but your trade off is lots of noise and potential gas smell. As far as will it bolt up... yes because the stock CATS no matter if its GT or V6 are the same thing. It's why a full GT exhaust bolts right into a V6. The downpipes both use 2 1/4 inch CAT piping diameter. Dont get me wrong you will notice a smoother engagement through your RPM band and feell more power in the butt dyno and real power gains too. Only thing you need is to tune for it and get a set of defoulers.

I have included a photo of my custom downpipes that are catless for a turbo application just so you can see the connectors are the same that will bolt up to any catback exhaust application whether GT or V6. These downpipes also have the extensions welded in. Hope this helps.
received_2042332932514510.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO Not worth it unless you have a specific application that benefits from doing this i.e. boosting. Yes you can expect some gains but your trade off is lots of noise and potential gas smell.
Only thing you need is to tune for it and get a set of defoulers.
These downpipes also have the extensions welded in.

Pulled a few specific parts to respond to.

Specific application: 300rwhp NA, not exactly sure where I'm at with the ported intakes, shorties/exhaust, and 93PRX tune but I would like to hit 300 when I jump on a dyno

Gain of noise: additional volume isn't too bad, rasp would be. That's why I'd get resonators put in place instead of just straight pipe.

Defoulers/adapters are already in hand, these ones are just the spacer type to bring the O2 sensor away from the pipe, not the $100/pair mini cat sensors (which supposedly are guaranteed to fix a CEL if it happens). Figured I would go with the $15 route first and if needed spring for the more expensive option later on.

Do you actually need extensions for the sensors (a la longtubes) or are you more talking about the defouler/O2 sensor extension? Was going to keep it in the same spot.

I've got a few friends with cat-delete GTs and the gas smell really isn't as bad as I thought it would be based on what people say on groups/forums. Yeah you can smell it a bit if you're right behind them when they go WOT, but otherwise not bad.

Appreciate your thoughts and info, definitely helps to consider everything before I just pull the trigger. Currently waiting on a new exhaust hanger so I can get the tip aligned properly before making any other changes. Supposedly going to be here Monday, but no shipping notification yet.

edit » I talk about the hanger not being shipped yet and 15 minutes later get a shipping notification. First class USPS from Naples, if I'm lucky it'll be here tomorrow, but worst case Monday I think now :D

Last edited:

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Pulled a few specific parts to respond to.

Specific application: 300rwhp NA, not exactly sure where I'm at with the ported intakes, shorties/exhaust, and 93PRX tune but I would like to hit 300 when I jump on a dyno

Gain of noise: additional volume isn't too bad, rasp would be. That's why I'd get resonators put in place instead of just straight pipe.

Defoulers/adapters are already in hand, these ones are just the spacer type to bring the O2 sensor away from the pipe, not the $100/pair mini cat sensors (which supposedly are guaranteed to fix a CEL if it happens). Figured I would go with the $15 route first and if needed spring for the more expensive option later on.

Do you actually need extensions for the sensors (a la longtubes) or are you more talking about the defouler/O2 sensor extension? Was going to keep it in the same spot.

I've got a few friends with cat-delete GTs and the gas smell really isn't as bad as I thought it would be based on what people say on groups/forums. Yeah you can smell it a bit if you're right behind them when they go WOT, but otherwise not bad.

Appreciate your thoughts and info, definitely helps to consider everything before I just pull the trigger. Currently waiting on a new exhaust hanger so I can get the tip aligned properly before making any other changes. Supposedly going to be here Monday, but no shipping notification yet.

edit » I talk about the hanger not being shipped yet and 15 minutes later get a shipping notification. First class USPS from Naples, if I'm lucky it'll be here tomorrow, but worst case Monday I think now :D
No man no extensions for what your doing. I have extensions because those downpipes moved the stock location because the turbos moved the location somewhat.

The defouler option you opted for will do just fine. Resonators will help with your sound but I promise u it will be louder than you think especially after it breaks in. I know your an owner that takes care of their car and makes sure its quality work being done to your car but definitely ensure whomever is doing this work does quality welds to prevent leaks.

I would tell you with all your mods and doing a cat delete...even without longtubes I bet your close to 320-330 whp 300tq with full NA bolt on. Throw a turbo on that bad boy and you would have fun mean street package @Nagare

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not quite as optimistic on the number as you to be honest, I've seen a lot that just seem to come in around the 280-290 mark :( If I am at 320, I'll be a very very happy camper that's for sure!

And I'm just waiting on a local mechanic to finish building in a big boosted Coyote build and then that guy is swapping out his Torsen 3.73 pumpkin so I'll be getting that if all goes to plan. Thought it would have happened by now, but I'm not rushing it.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I'm not quite as optimistic on the number as you to be honest, I've seen a lot that just seem to come in around the 280-290 mark :( If I am at 320, I'll be a very very happy camper that's for sure!

And I'm just waiting on a local mechanic to finish building in a big boosted Coyote build and then that guy is swapping out his Torsen 3.73 pumpkin so I'll be getting that if all goes to plan. Thought it would have happened by now, but I'm not rushing it.
Last dyno my bro and I did before I left for Europe on his 3.7 full bolt on was at 331whp and 298tq. He had longtubes though and a very agressive in house dyno tune.

Think I need to edit my post lol. Not 330whp but around 300whp for your build...realized I was saying that incorrectly. From what I see the magic shorty header builds are that 300/300. Which is super respectable on an NA build
Sponsored