Sponsored

Carbon fiber decklid removal issues

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I tried for 30 minutes to install a carbon fiber decklid to replace my stock GT one. I never though it would be this hard, I took all the necessary precautions (bought a robust pry tool set, painters tape on the top edge to minimize scratching) but not only could I not even budge any of the clips, I managed to chip off a piece of the stock decklid.

None of the videos I found really detail the whole process and there seems to be discrepancies in removal and install information. How in the hell is a "30 min install" this hard?

Any pointers? This is the decklid I got for reference: https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...k-Lid-Header-Panel-2015-2019-ALL_p_16296.html
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I didn't have any issues with mine. Just pull the 4 bolts from the inside, disconnect the camera, and pop it out of the clips.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I tried for like 30 minutes to remove just one clip. I was praying at it like crazy, while pulling down on the decklid, would not budge an inch. The decklid looked like it would snap first. Removing trim pieces always sucks, you always feel like something is going to break

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This vid helped me a lot when I took mine off to wrap it

Yeah that's the one I referenced but the carbon fiber decklid I have has none of that backing the decklid they used has. So I dunno if I'm supposed to swap it, I assume I do. And the included instructions are awful and don't mention anything about it

Sponsored

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Yeah that's the one I referenced but the carbon fiber decklid I have has none of that backing the decklid they used has. So I dunno if I'm supposed to swap it, I assume I do. And the included instructions are awful and don't mention anything about it
I remember that I had a slight problem with this when doing the deck lid swap. Like with most trim pieces it’s about finding the right angle. I broke a clip on mine as well. Wasn’t that big of a deal though and I simply glued it back together

If I recall correctly the stock deck lid was a downward motion. If you have the trunk up horizontally for the install you should be pulling the decklid towards yourself as you pull

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember that I had a slight problem with this when doing the deck lid swap. Like with most trim pieces it’s about finding the right angle. I broke a clip on mine as well. Wasn’t that big of a deal though and I simply glued it back together

If I recall correctly the stock deck lid was a downward motion. If you have the trunk up horizontally for the install you should be pulling the decklid towards yourself as you pull
Thanks, I’ll give it another try today, my Howler decklid badge comes in today, which I’m going to put on the new piece

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
The Steeda link you posted says it applys with double sided tape. And if it doesn't have any backing tabs then its meant to go over the existing panel.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Steeda link you posted says it applys with double sided tape. And if it doesn't have any backing tabs then its meant to go over the existing panel.
Damnit, you're right lol. Well that's not ideal for me, but I'll do a mock up and see how it looks. If it sits flush against the current decklid I guess it's fine. If not, then I'll have to spring for the Anderson Composites one. I guess that makes it an easier install because I can just drill out the posts on the GT emblem from the front

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Damnit, you're right lol. Well that's not ideal for me, but I'll do a mock up and see how it looks. If it sits flush against the current decklid I guess it's fine. If not, then I'll have to spring for the Anderson Composites one. I guess that makes it an easier install because I can just drill out the posts on the GT emblem from the front
I love Steeda products, but for $300 plus you'd bet your ass I'd get a full CF panel and not an overlay.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love Steeda products, but for $300 plus you'd bet your ass I'd get a full CF panel and not an overlay.
Against my better judgement I gave it a shot. Worst case is I just get a blank decklid after I screwed it up. Amazingly, it went well! You can't even tell unless you're like an inch or two away from it. Also the howler badge I put on really completes the look, for me anyway. Thx for the help
IMG_20190714_171108.jpg
IMG_20190714_171124.jpg

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I did, don't be like me

That hurt my soul to watch the damage. I literally was about to use that EXACT pry tool and thought "nah this can't be right"
Hopefully you got that fixed!

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It still hurts... but it feels much better :D

That hurt my soul to watch the damage. I literally was about to use that EXACT pry tool and thought "nah this can't be right"
Hopefully you got that fixed!
Sponsored