Sponsored

Car Washes with Wheel Tracks? Are They Safe?

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Wondering your thoughts on using a car wash with tracks / conveyors for the wheels. I have the 20" wheels so the risk of damage to the wheels seems greater. Are these types of car washes generally safe to use in terms of not damaging the wheels?
Sponsored

kevg73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
You're best off not going to those car washes if you can help it. I don't think there is much risk to your wheels but they're terrible for your paint. The brushes, flaps, etc that scrub your car are not clean enough and will make small scratches in the clear coat dulling it over time. You're better off going to a touchless car wash. It wont get it quite as clean but it's better for the paint.

The one I go to is basically a small booth where you just park the car and the nozzles go back and forth past the car so there are no tracks either so less risks to the wheels as well.

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I gave it a try and got through without any damage. I was nervous about the wheels the whole time so probably won't be trying it again. This wash is about 1/3 of the cost of most nearby touchless washes so I wanted to give it a try. The tracks have rubber guards so it's probably safe but why risk it again.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
NOT SAFE. I scratched my previous cars rim because the idiot telling me to come forward onto the track told me to come too close to the track and ended up scratching the rims.

I would never take my Mustang to any automated car wash. You're better off washing manually to ensure you dont damage the paint. If you are lazy, or do not have time, you best go to a true touchless car wash. Where you enter and the door closes and you put your car in park, and it washes your car while in park.

Sponsored

lint28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP - Now its a 2016 GT w/PP!!!
I've run my 19" rims (PP) through many times. No issues for me...

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
NOT SAFE. I scratched my previous cars rim because the idiot telling me to come forward onto the track told me to come too close to the track and ended up scratching the rims.

I would never take my Mustang to any automated car wash. You're better off washing manually to ensure you dont damage the paint. If you are lazy, or do not have time, you best go to a true touchless car wash. Where you enter and the door closes and you put your car in park, and it washes your car while in park.
It's not laziness....I live in Wisconsin, so hand-washing at home is not an option this time of year, where it's usually well below freezing every day. I'd rather go to an "ineffective" car wash frequently and get all the salt and dirt off than let it go all winter without cleaning it at all.

But I agree that I'd rather not rely on some guy getting it on the track to avoid scratching the wheels. I much prefer touchless car washes where there are no tracks.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It's not laziness....I live in Wisconsin, so hand-washing at home is not an option this time of year, where it's usually well below freezing every day. I'd rather go to an "ineffective" car wash frequently and get all the salt and dirt off than let it go all winter without cleaning it at all.
They have DIY car washes all over, usually the pressure sprays warm water so you won't have to worry about it freezing.

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
They have DIY car washes all over, usually the pressure sprays warm water so you won't have to worry about it freezing.
I love those, unfortunately the nearest one is about 25 minutes away. I've been thinking about opening one in my area as I think there would be a huge demand for it.

Sponsored

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Wow...you were right. Little scratches everywhere. :doh:

I assume a good professional detailer can get these out?
Yes, depending on the state of marring you could be looking at a one or two step process. Ideally, a one step with a Menzerna 2500 could come out nicely. It really depends on how badly it is scratched up, hard to tell without seeing it.

Washing is so important to do right. Don't get it corrected until you have the ability to wash properly in the Spring where you live and research how to take care of it in the winter.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I love those, unfortunately the nearest one is about 25 minutes away. I've been thinking about opening one in my area as I think there would be a huge demand for it.

If you open an indoor one you'll get insane amounts of business specially in the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yes, depending on the state of marring you could be looking at a one or two step process. Ideally, a one step with a Menzerna 2500 could come out nicely. It really depends on how badly it is scratched up, hard to tell without seeing it.

Washing is so important to do right. Don't get it corrected until you have the ability to wash properly in the Spring where you live and research how to take care of it in the winter.
All of my previous cars were bought with 100,000+ miles on them so this is my first car where I'm starting out with good paint. I had never noticed an issue with the spinning brush car washes before because my paint was so swirled to begin with, and I never gave any thought to running through these washes. Also never had low-profile tires before so the tracks were never a concern.

Now that I'm in-the-know about how bad these washes are, it's unbelievable than anyone with a newer car would run their car through one of these. I guess your average person wouldn't notice. I didn't even notice until I saw your post and take a very close look at the paint. Can't wait to get it detailed this spring and get it fixed.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
My dealer has a car wash that uses the spinning brushes. I told him I wouldn't accept my new convertible if he ran it through that thing! He took me aside and said he has his service crew hand wash the 'more expensive' cars. I told him not to wash my car at all! I would take care of it myself.
Sponsored