Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
try this on for size

Ford Submits Patent For Car That Repossesses Itself Or Locks Drivers Out Of Features If Payments Missed
Which way to the Kia dealership please?
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How long do you think it’d take to hack it and have peoples vehicles stolen by remote control in essence. Lol. Would you be ok with that software being in a vehicle you owned out right? I wouldn’t buy a car with that in it.
For people who pay their bills, who freaking cares if any vehicle has "repo software logic" in it? If you fall into that category, the software is invisible and won't affect you or those like you who lay their bills.

It one thing when folks fall on hard times - it's another when there are habitual offenders who abuse the credit/loan system and don't give 2 shits about paying for anything - but we all suffer in the end with higher premiums on XYZ product to fill the "gap" for those very type of people.

I say more power to any of the industry that can implement such systems to recover large assets.

Too bad there's no laws in place for folks who trash their homes that are being foreclosed upon ... because that's a huge area of loss for lenders. These people can totally gut/trash a home and there's absolutely no laws or repercussions that hold them accountable or that they have to reimburse or pay for the damages done.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
For people who pay their bills, who freaking cares if any vehicle has "repo software logic" in it? If you fall into that category, the software is invisible and won't affect you or those like you who lay their bills.

It one thing when folks fall on hard times - it's another when there are habitual offenders who abuse the credit/loan system and don't give 2 shits about paying for anything - but we all suffer in the end with higher premiums on XYZ product to fill the "gap" for those very type of people.

I say more power to any of the industry that can implement such systems to recover large assets.

Too bad there's no laws in place for folks who trash their homes that are being foreclosed upon ... because that's a huge area of loss for lenders. These people can totally gut/trash a home and there's absolutely no laws or repercussions that hold them accountable or that they have to reimburse or pay for the damages done.
if the software is there, then it can be hijacked by other parties.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
For people who pay their bills, who freaking cares if any vehicle has "repo software logic" in it?
because Detroit SUCKS HUGE *** BALLS at software and is vastly worse at security. You haven't seen frightfully bad code till you've seen automotive and control systems code. At least when Twitter or FB crash and burn nothing of value was lost and nobody's lives or property in jeopardy.

Try that with a 2 ton missile under someone else's control. Wanna steal a whole lot full of brand new cars? Hack the system and have them drive right thru the dealer's plate glass windows.

The automotive solution to this has existed for WELL OVER 10 years. And it's getting bigger at a rapid clip. I worked for one of the top 3 in this space, writing and supporting the real-time tracking of all manner of road and rail assets. The buy here, pay here guys are one of the key users of these phone-home trackers. Ford has NO BUSINESS "inventing" something that already exists and the USPTO had no business granting such a laughable, garbage patent. Ford Finance can't even keep their ledgers accurate, what MORON thought the rest of the banks likewise have a system not subject to gross errors and non-repudiation?

All Ford needed to do was license/include SOC from eg. CalAmp into their FordPass software and you'd have GPS/coordinate reporting for essentially free. Offer 'track the dead-beat' as-a-service to bank loan departments and wala, the repo guy knows exactly where the car is. NONE of these systems allow remote-operation of the vehicle in any way. The only active component is to disable the starter/ECU once shutdown such that it won't restart. No different than the keyfob system that won't let you start the car if the key is not in range.

It's one thing to put the trackers on fleet vehicles to keep your employees honest (gas, cable fleets are hilarious where they spend their "lunch" time) and to reduce unnecessary fuel spend.

It's another to go all Judge Dredd on a consumer asset because "the computer said so". You know where this goes RIGHT QUICK? "Sorry citizen, your social credit score is not good enough to permit you to operate a vehicle" Talk about totalitarian wet dream.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just hope it's a patent for patent's sake.

Don't forget Google has a patent to "flypaper" pedestrians to the front of cars that hit them. That way they don't bounce down the street after being hit. Plus, would definitely eliminate hit and runs. Can't leave the scene of a crime if the scene goes with you. :wink:

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
How long do you think it’d take to hack it and have peoples vehicles stolen by remote control in essence. Lol. Would you be ok with that software being in a vehicle you owned out right? I wouldn’t buy a car with that in it.
I doubt it would be in the firmware. It be a software the oem would download to the unit in question once the owner is in the rears And about to get repo'd. So you can't hack what isn't installed in the system software/firmware. The oem/bank would send an "update" and it download the needed app/ program . then it drive away. Disabling the internet connection to the vehicle , the vehicle will not drive. this stop the owner knowing they are about to get repo'd pulling a fuse and stopping the download.
The download have to come from the lender/oem that holds the note. So a random i.p. address trying gets blocked.
Simple.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The download have to come from the lender/oem that holds the note. So a random i.p. address trying gets blocked.
hehe, you have entirely too much faith in Detroit IT departments and vehicle security measures.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
hehe, you have entirely too much faith in Detroit IT departments and vehicle security measures.
I think some have too much faith that, those that have a higher than average chance of getting a car repo'd owning anything a pro would bother hacking into to steal or in this case drive itself to them.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think some have too much faith that, those that have a higher than average chance of getting a car repo'd owning anything a pro would bother hacking into to steal or in this case drive itself to them.
oh I don't know. Mopar seems to cater heavily to the crowd that can't make but 4 payments...
The larger point is that the feature is resident across the entire production fleet and will be implemented so poorly that it will be a risk to everyone who owns the model regardless of their loan status. OTA is a locust plague of vulnerabilities and frankly should be outlawed by the DoT.

All this stuff is a solution looking for a problem. When the problem can be nipped at the point of sale by denying purchase to people who clearly have no means to afford. Irresponsible lending is solved by fixing the lending problem, not tech bandaid crap. The FED can shut this stuff down in 5 minutes.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
oh I don't know. Mopar seems to cater heavily to the crowd that can't make but 4 payments...
The larger point is that the feature is resident across the entire production fleet and will be implemented so poorly that it will be a risk to everyone who owns the model regardless of their loan status. OTA is a locust plague of vulnerabilities and frankly should be outlawed by the DoT.

All this stuff is a solution looking for a problem. When the problem can be nipped at the point of sale by denying purchase to people who clearly have no means to afford. Irresponsible lending is solved by fixing the lending problem, not tech bandaid crap. The FED can shut this stuff down in 5 minutes.
Fed won't because many would cry R--ism. That said I doubt the insurance industry would stand by and let it happen, i.e. easy hackable sofeware/firmware .They'd do like they are now to kia/hynd and canceling policies .
Sponsored