mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
hey guys i have a 2015 GT premium that i need to get rid of

just wondering if anyone on these great forums has taken mustang to car max recently or last few months to get a
Appraisal for it just wondering and trying to get a idea of what to expect.. thanks
Sponsored

RLMJR58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, pp, Kona Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Expect less than you can sell it for... lots of you tube videos. 10k mustang they offer 5500. 4 month old challenger paid 34k, they offer 22k. They are in business to make money so you won’t get what it is worth private sale but maybe similar to trade in but likely a bit less if you can dicker successfuly.

Beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Guard Metallic MT
I have a 2015 Guard Green GT Premium 20K miles. I was offered $23,500 on a trade. Still driving the GT.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Expect less than you can sell it for... lots of you tube videos. 10k mustang they offer 5500. 4 month old challenger paid 34k, they offer 22k. They are in business to make money so you won’t get what it is worth private sale but maybe similar to trade in but likely a bit less if you can dicker successfuly.
Exactly. It's a great advertisement that they will buy your car although what they give for it is very low. It will be less than wholesale and/or even less than what comparable dealers will give you for the car. There are so many terms to confuse people- Blue Book, Black Book, instant cash value, apprised trade value, etc., etc. And even if you are trading your car in to another dealer if they start with the sticker price and offer no discount don't get fooled by a larger trade in value for your car. Always go by the net trade difference when comparing dealer to dealer. The bottom line is they want to make as much money off of you as possible.

On the other hand, it's always easier to say sell a car on your own although much easier said than done. Most people do not have cash and need a loan to buy a newer car and they much prefer going to dealers. So even though CarMax may offer a very, very low amount for your car, it is a guaranteed easy way out to get rid of your car.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
The real trade value is the AUCTION values for wholesalers. Meaning a wholesaler puts a number on vehicles based on what they are seeing at auctions. The wholesaler will say as an example your car is bringing 21k which means the dealer will then pay you 20k ish. The wholesaler is the dealers guaranteed buyer who will take the car should it not sell within typically 90-120 days. The wholesaler knows they have a good shot at buying the car from the dealer for 20k and then at auction they may get 21k or a little better. Your better off taking your car to an auction if you have connections to get the extra money but it’s not gonna be 2k 3k 4K more. Otherwise it’s called retail pricing at those numbers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
My experience is Carmax gives u 25 percent less than what u can sell car for.
Recently a buddy got a very good price on his Yukon xl with over 140k miles at Auto Nation

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You’ll never make out selling or trading it into ANY Dealership, be it the Domestic Big-3, the Euro-Asian trifectas, “small box” (Carvana, Carmax, etc) or the local “mom-n-pop” shops.

Also if money is owed on it, don’t expect to come out on top unless you weren’t upside down in the note.

A Mustang (any year) is priced on street values, period. It’s been that way since inception. Hit up Craigslist or use Cargurus to see what the market is doing on the private side (street). You can’t go by retail pricing - because in many instances those retail prices are inflated to cover all the costs of overhead, advertising, hidden fees and other BS goes into jacking the price so the Wholesalers and Retailers can make their bucks.

Research 2015 Mustangs with the SAME EXACT equipped options and compare their condition to yours. You can’t just say “I have a 2015 GT Premium”, because that car could have been configured X-different ways, which depending on what and how it was equipped will skew the $$$ +/- a few hundred or even a thousand or so....

Also, the online or TV auctions make it seem like all Mustangs are worth thousands and of course millions... it’s BS. Those cars you seeing selling for bucko-bucks are really being traded in well known “circles”. Meaning, the guys with money who are really good at investing in the vehicle market (both classic and modern) are trading those cars up through the auction circuits and the cars are held onto until the buyer is bored or wants to trade up to something else. Lots of those guys (seller and auction house owners) go hand in hand and benefit each other.

eBay - don’t rely on “completed auctions” to determine values either. You have absolutely no idea if some of those auctions EVER really truly competed 100% where the car was actually passed between owners. Over the years of being an avid eBay seller/buyer (since 1998), I’ve seen both classic and modern Mustangs on there listed over and over, even months after a supposed completed sale.

Mustang street value is what you need to research, even hit up numerous forums like this one and cruise the classifieds. Sure sometimes even on the forums the asking prices may be high, but they are within reason depending on if the car is stock or modded and what equipment it retains at point of sale.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I've had CarMax bid between wholesale and retail values in the past. Sold 3 cars to them. With those bids it was a no brainer to not have to deal with trying to sell myself...the paperwork and buyer hassle.

My best 3rd party bid last time was Vroom which I used to negotiate with the dealer on direct trade-in.

My cars are immaculate, no reconditioning required, quick rinse wash at most and to the lot it goes. Probably has helped my bids.

OP
OP
mvp90805

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I had my car at dealers all weekend... offers range from 20-24 that 24 was a “if we give you 24k will you take the truck home tonight “ type of offer

Going to car max after work see how that goes..

OP
OP
mvp90805

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2015 Guard Green GT Premium 20K miles. I was offered $23,500 on a trade. Still driving the GT.
Hey long long ago you take it?

I have a red GT premium 19373 miles. Navigation
20inch wheels

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I was offered $24k on a trade back in September. Not bad for a $37k MSRP car that I paid $33k for out the door 4 years later.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
That don’t seem all that bad.

They usually want to make $3k or more profit or it’s not worth it. So they’d trie to sell your car for $27k. Car is 4 years old now and you can get a 2019 base for not that much more. I realize it’s a Premium but still

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I've had CarMax bid between wholesale and retail values in the past. Sold 3 cars to them. With those bids it was a no brainer to not have to deal with trying to sell myself...the paperwork and buyer hassle.

My best 3rd party bid last time was Vroom which I used to negotiate with the dealer on direct trade-in.

My cars are immaculate, no reconditioning required, quick rinse wash at most and to the lot it goes. Probably has helped my bids.
This has pretty much been my experience with them. I've sold two cars to them. Dealers around here have pretty much stopped blending the trade-in and purchase as a single negotiated transaction. You can negotiate your best deal, and then if you have a trade, they are pretty much offering KBB trade-in value. Just went through this trading in a 2017 Highlander on a new Grand Cherokee. KBB trade-in was $27,500 on the Highlander. It needed a new windshield which was going to cost me $850-$900. They gave me $26,650. This was already after I'd negotiated the price on the new Jeep. I thought about CarMax, but it wasn't worth the extra effort at that point. I usually take it to CarMax first to get an estimate. It only takes about 30 minutes, and the quote is good for seven days. Never hurts to try them.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I sold one car to CarMax and had another one appraised within the last 5 years.

The one I sold was a 2016 Miata ND, I bought brand new for 31K. It was only a year old with 13K miles on it and they gave me only 22K for it. Another car I tired to sell in 2015 but the offer was too low was a 2013 Civic LX with 24K miles. They offered a low 11K. I end up trading it in on a WRX and the cash offer there was 13.5K.

In my experience CarMax offers are Kelly Blue Book "average" condition minus a few thousand.

OP
OP
mvp90805

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Have you guys ever heard of car trackers ? They offer me 25k but I ever heard of them
Sponsored