Sponsored

Can anyone help me diagnose this squeaky front end noise?

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Sorry for the bad video, I had a forklift accident today at work and hurt my foot and can’t drive it to get a new video today.

this noise is a squeaky noise with bumps. You can hear it towards the end of the video if you can hear it at all. It happened a few weeks ago; and then it rained and went away. My car is a 2017 gt premium on coilovers with most stock suspension besides upgraded lower control arms from steeda (just one set I think they’re the lateral links? That are on the opposite side of the tie rod ends which I have a bump steer kit.
It’s driving me nuts and I’m assuming it’s gotta be rubber or something that’s going out if it went away with the rain.

there is sort of a clunk if I park and brake pretty hard coming to a stop.

Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Are they Steeda’s LCAs with spherical bearings?

Strut top hats tend to be noisy as well.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Are they Steeda’s LCAs with spherical bearings?

Strut top hats tend to be noisy as well.
I have the steeda lower control arms, just the extended ball joint ones. I think the lateral link control arm is the only one I have not replaced.
Do you think my coilovers are just done for? They have about 30k miles on them. Driven pretty hard.

just wanna make sure more people think it’s the coilovers/top hats before I go and spend 1k on suspension

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I have the steeda lower control arms, just the extended ball joint ones. I think the lateral link control arm is the only one I have not replaced.
Do you think my coilovers are just done for? They have about 30k miles on them. Driven pretty hard.

just wanna make sure more people think it’s the coilovers/top hats before I go and spend 1k on suspension
If you’re DIY capable I’d just take them off and look.

I’m not sure what the easiest way is to diag those top hats are besides making the suspension travel by shaking it or prying on the strut itself.

You mention a knock, I’d look at endlinks and brakes as well.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
If you’re DIY capable I’d just take them off and look.

I’m not sure what the easiest way is to diag those top hats are besides making the suspension travel by shaking it or prying on the strut itself.

You mention a knock, I’d look at endlinks and brakes as well.
Yeah I don’t really know. Unfortunately I’m bed ridden this week due to an accident at work so I can’t check. I’m just so dumbfounded as to why the noise went away when it rained and now it’s back. I don’t even know where to start without having to spend a bunch of money.
If I get new struts/shocks/swaybar endlinks that eliminates a lot of possibilities. I want to go back to a traditional spring setup anyways.

Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Potentially swaybar bushings too now that I’m thinking about it.

If you can - figure out how to exactly replicate the noise and report back.

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Also - can you capture the noise from outside by chance?

I don’t think it’s brake related given that the squeak seemed to appear when the car was jostled around.

I would bet cash on it being coilover/sway bar related.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Also - can you capture the noise from outside by chance?

I don’t think it’s brake related given that the squeak seemed to appear when the car was jostled around.

I would bet cash on it being coilover/sway bar related.
Yeah my swaybar bushings honestly kinda look busted. It’s definitely something moving with the suspension I don’t know if I want to just peace of mind some $1100 on new steeda shocks and struts and do it that way… I’d need new swaybar endlinks anyways.
Sponsored