Sponsored

Camaro giant leaps, Mustang just enough (SS vs. GT)

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Try driving the Mustang on Auto X and Track like a momentum car. That's how you typically drive the SS. It doesn't pull as much as the Mustang in an equal gear, there's a huge difference.

You also launch the SS at a much higher RPM, 4k to 5k depending on altitude. Why? Because 1st in the TR6060 is 2.66, which nearly as tall as 2nd in the GT! The gearing is set up to minimize shifting and carry you through turns under power without breaking traction.

The gearing on the GT (assuming your using 2nd on both) is set up for straight line acceleration. I'll bet a stock GT would be faster on a road course if you drove it like a momentum car and ran the next higher gear, trying to carry speed through the corner rather than come in hot, brake hard and power out. It's simply a faster way to go around a race track. That's how Formula cars drive, momentum cars (MX-5, BRZ, S2000 etc) and the SS even though it's not a momentum car.

1st in the SS is tall enough drive it like the GT, you can hit 54 mph in 1st on the SS, so there's plenty of gear to run it in 1st on a corner in auto X, but that's not the fastest way to drive the car.

The IRS compliance in the GT is a HUGE issue with getting the power down. Especially if your on stock tires. The Eagle F1's on the SS, while not the best tire, are definitely better than the Pirellies on the GT. Throw in the big issue with too much IRS compliance and you have mad wheel hop.

Every review I've seen notes the difficulty in getting the power down at launch on the GT. A sub-par launch will easily cost you .2 to .3 on the 1/4. That would drop an otherwise stock GT's 1/4 mile time down to the same as what the SS does.

Road and Track tested both cars to 150, the GT ran 26.4 and the SS ran 26.7 seconds. They were literally almost the same. Should be, because they make almost the same power. But the SS runs out of breath fast after 140, once your out of 4th gear (1.00 ratio), to get that last 10 mph, you need 5th which is OD gear at 0.85. That's tall and that's why it takes 7 more seconds to get to 150 than it does to 140.

Motor Trend ran their SS at 12.4 in the 1/4, but only 12.9 (they did 12.8 earlier) on their PP GT (which was also a bloated premium). They noted however the 0-60 on the SS was 4.0 seconds while the GT was 4.6. There's your time right there. The GT just can't get off the line fast. Too much gearing, too little grip and too much IRS compliance. Road and Track was only able to launch their GT as 2400 RPM, yet the GT runs a 3.657 1st gear. The SS was launched around 4k to 4.5k RPM. Your just wasting a lot of time in the GT at launch. 4.0 vs. 4.6 is a huge difference, yet the GT's gearing allows it put down full rev range in 1st and 2nd...so if both cars had infinite traction, the GT is capable of doing a lot more work in the same distance it takes to 60. Problem is, we're in the real world where we have far less than infinite traction...

I think had they tried to launch in 2nd gear and slipped the clutch they could have shaved off a good .2 to .3 seconds if not more on the GT. 1st on the SS is 2.66, 2nd on the GT is 2.43, darn close. Probably would need to launch around 3.5k to 4.5k range but on stock IRS and crappy Pirellies the benefit of skipping a shift and lower starting torque would be realized. Both the SS and GT requires a 1-2 shift to get to 60 if your starting from 1st gear, but the GT's gearing allows you to rev out the engine in both gears. So your total work being down is greater, just can't realize it in the real world because of traction. We need an AWD Mustang GT!

Both cars run a 3.73 rear end and both cars make nearly identical total power from 2000 RPP to their respective redlines. But the SS's gearing, suspensions and tires are way different than the GT's and it works to the advantage of the SS in real world situations with limited traction to allow a human being to maximize power down. Interestingly, the SS A8's first 4 gears are nearly identical in ratio to the GT 6M's! But the A8 has a torque converter and taller rear end and can shift gear to gear faster than a human, so it can more effectively leverage gearing.

Case in point look at what Braski did with his "Project Midnight" GT. He ended up running an 11.86 with just suspension work, a PP2 and DR's (he has a PP GT 6M). PP2 is worth only 24 peak hp, not that much. That's .2s on the 1/4 mile with no other changes.

The PP2 isn't a huge power adder, so take away the PP2 and your at 12.06. Add another 1/10th for the DR's and the rest is all IRS upgrades that helped get the power down and allow the GT to utilize it's gearing. That's the same as the fastest SS 6M on the fast list that also had more favorable DA (they were at -800~-1000 in 50~60F temp range, can't get better than that!) than Braski. So if you equalize suspension, DA and tires they run neck and neck and they should because they make nearly identical total power and are within 75 lbs of each other!
Sponsored

Last edited:

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
The battle that benefits everyone continues, but i've noticed a trend. The Camaro makes large strides in performance, while the Mustang does just enough to squeak by. I don't expect any real update for the Camaro until the new model is release because the last gen didn't have any major upgrades.

2010 Camaro 426hp
2010 Mustang 315hp

2011 Mustang 412hp (less than Camaro, but quicker)

2015 Mustang independent suspension, 435hp

2016 Camaro 455hp and 4.0 sec 0-60

2018 Mustang 460hp, and unknown sub 4.0 sec 0-60
You're conveniently forgetting the Ford Mustang led to the creation and re-release of the Camaro in the first place. Ford took a chance and created the segment in 1964, then took another chance and revived it in 2005. All GM did was copy them. The Zeta Camaro was built from an existing IRS platform it was cheaper for them to do that then design an all-new platform. I'll take the Ford 5.0 over the 6.2L anyday, the Mustang is more than a track car.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well I raced a 17' 1Le SS at the track. Same shit as me. CAI / Exhaust / tune.. we both hooked hard, and to quote my girlfriend : "You blew him away ..I couldn't even tell if he had any color left on his car."

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Well I raced a 17' 1Le SS at the track. Same shit as me. CAI / Exhaust / tune.. we both hooked hard, and to quote my girlfriend : "You blew him away ..I couldn't even tell if he had any color left on his car."
Wow

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Ha yeah right the magazines said otherwise!

Sponsored

ls6-m22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice cars
Yeah those 1LE's are slow.... You'd be a better match with a ZL1 since how badly you beat the guy in the 1LE.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Yeah those 1LE's are slow.... You'd be a better match with a ZL1 since how badly you beat the guy in the 1LE.
I don't know... even with a ZL1 I'd be afraid of this guy. He sounds pretty fast.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
The camaro isn’t the reason ford released the coyote in the mustang. Keep in mind, engine changes are planned years in advance. The coyote was produced not just for the mustang, but for the F150. Increasing power and torque is more of a result in trying to stay on top of the “towing” wars than anything else.

Ford has shown in the past that they care little about trying to match the camaro in regards to HP in their base V8 models. Hell, the mustang was stuck with 225hp (or less) from 87 thru 1998. Their priority is sales and profit.
Don’t kid yourself the performance guys at the Ford And GM camps keep an eye on each other. You alway see them at Daytona 24 every year. Corvette, Ford GT and Mustang GT4 .It caught fire over the last 20 years. Oh yeah corvette’s new advertising slogan racing and winning for the past 20 years. The day this doesn’t happen we will be all driving boring boxes. The new guy Ford hired doesn’t fit into this performance guy attitude. Not good. Keep an eye on that guy for sure. The new ME C8 will be a major automotive mild stone for corvette and the performance croud like we have never seen. Couldn’t be a better time for us car crazy people that have a little money.

Last edited:

ls6-m22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice cars
I don't know... even with a ZL1 I'd be afraid of this guy. He sounds pretty fast.
Yeah he runs low 11s with just simple boltons and a tune. He must be awesome shifting that MT-82. Probably could put Evans to shame...

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I know I have the best time with a PP2 tune. I do run slicks and skinnies. Even on stock suspension I went 12.08 and after the BMR upgrades 11.86. My mph is only 115, my ET is only that quick because I'm pulling a 1.56 60ft. I really think with slicks I could turn a better time with a new mustang or camaro than my 5.slow. I did just get a new clutch and stuff so I'm thinking I got a good shot of a new personal best next time I go to the track. I think it may be time for more HP! I'm still waiting for a tuner or multiple tuners to supply 1 or more tunes so I can track test them against each other.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ls6-m22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice cars
As far as I know I have the best time with a PP2 tune. I do run slicks and skinnies. Even on stock suspension I went 12.08 and after the BMR upgrades 11.86. My mph is only 115, my ET is only that quick because I'm pulling a 1.56 60ft. I really think with slicks I could turn a better time with a new mustang or camaro than my 5.slow. I did just get a new clutch and stuff so I'm thinking I got a good shot of a new personal best next time I go to the track. I think it may be time for more HP! I'm still waiting for a tuner or multiple tuners to supply 1 or more tunes so I can track test them against each other.
Well you better check with WildHorse because hes running a 11.28 @125 with his simple boltons as posted in another thread.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well you better check with WildHorse because hes running a 11.28 @125 with his simple boltons as posted in another thread.
I said PP2 tune. He obviously has the best mph out of any simple bolt non E85 car on the forum. He must still be on stock rubber because with that kind of mph he should be in the 10's easy! I'd love to see that time slip.:shrug:

ls6-m22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice cars
I said PP2 tune. He obviously has the best mph out of any simple bolt non E85 car on the forum. He must still be on stock rubber because with that kind of mph he should be in the 10's easy! I'd love to see that time slip.:shrug:
This is his aleged time slip from a locked thread back in December
S5502.jpg

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is his aleged time slip from a locked thread back in December
Well thats certainly a legit time slip, that might be his slip but his time must be the covered up one!:lol: That mph is on the high side compared with the 60ft and ET but definitely within reason. I'm not sure I believe his mod list un less he did some serious weight reduction. A lot of guys fail to mention that detail in there mod list. Every other car with comparable et/mph has headers, E85, injectors and some guys even with cams still fall short of that. I also find it interesting that he only has 440 hp at the wheels. I always try to believe that everyone is being honest but I'm finding this really hard to believe. Some guys love having that hidden bottle hooked up to. I think the myth busters would say "BUSTED"!:doh:

Last edited: