Sponsored

Buying Used--What should i look for?

mvisible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello everyone,

This is kind of a loaded thread as i have a few questions.

Like the title mentions, i'm in the market for a used 2017 GT350. Are there specific things that i should be concerned about/looking for?

Second, I've read about the lack of torque down low (never been able to test drive one). I've previously owned a E46 M3 which is another high revving engine with low torque. Would you guys say that the GT350 would feel the same under 3k RPM or would be an improvement?

Thanks
Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I don't think there is anything specifically related to the GT350, in terms of watching out for buying used. Nothing different from any used car. Condition, panel fit, tire wear, service history, is it affected by the oil cooler line recall? If so, has it been implemented. Your interested in a '17, so it will have the coolers. Make sure you inquire about receiving the owners supplement for the car - you can search for what it is on these forums.

Based on the dyno plots I've seen, the GT350 makes ~300 lb-ft of torque (at the engine with a 15% drivetrain loss) from 1800 rpm up, but really comes alive at 3200, and stays pretty flat from 3500 on up. If that's a lack of low end, sign me up.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Second, I've read about the lack of torque down low (never been able to test drive one). I've previously owned a E46 M3 which is another high revving engine with low torque. Would you guys say that the GT350 would feel the same under 3k RPM or would be an improvement?
No joke, think of an S2000 only kicking in at mid 3000's RPM, not 6500.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
The usual suspects, clean carfax, interior all there, no signs or smells of biohazard

Most I've seen have been low miles so should still have some factory warranty left.

natethegreat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 BMW M3
Another M3 owner!
Do you still own your e46? I have mine, was debating on selling it to help with down payment, but only 30$ a month for insurance is literally nothing to keep it.

Sponsored

Hwy. Chile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
check for body panel gap from rear bumper sag and hood-fender gap, if those items might annoy you.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
As far as I can tell the 350's aren't modded much, so I wouldn't be looking for signs of it or looking for previous tunes and such (are there tunes for the 350? I have no idea). I think I would primarily just look at the tires. Are they the OEM and what condition are they in? If it's a low mile car and the tires are very worn it may have been tracked, which means it's been driven hard.

If it's a 15/16 you would want to make sure that big recall had been performed. Maybe that was on the 17's as well.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
As far as I can tell the 350's aren't modded much, so I wouldn't be looking for signs of it or looking for previous tunes and such (are there tunes for the 350? I have no idea). I think I would primarily just look at the tires. Are they the OEM and what condition are they in? If it's a low mile car and the tires are very worn it may have been tracked, which means it's been driven hard.

If it's a 15/16 you would want to make sure that big recall had been performed. Maybe that was on the 17's as well.
The oil line recall did include early 2017 GT350s.

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
No Track Attack and try to get the owners kit and oil wrench supplement kit which are specific to your car.

There is a guy here in Peachtree City GA selling a Grabber Blue black roof stripe delete with PPF and I think Ceramic coating with around 2,000 miles for $55K. Buying a house apparently and needs to sell.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
No Track Attack and try to get the owners kit and oil wrench supplement kit which are specific to your car.

There is a guy here in Peachtree City GA selling a Grabber Blue black roof stripe delete with PPF and I think Ceramic coating with around 2,000 miles for $55K. Buying a house apparently and needs to sell.
The GT350 Track Attack is good for one year from the original purchase date of the car. Assuming the original owner hasn't used and it's less than a year they might still have access to it.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
#1 on your list should be no mods. You don't need to buy someone else's mistakes.

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
The GT350 Track Attack is good for one year from the original purchase date of the car. Assuming the original owner hasn't used and it's less than a year they might still have access to it.
Nope...you have to be the original owner unfortunately.

GT350AG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erick
Vehicle(s)
16' GT350
Previous e46 M3 owner CSL Intake etc i still lthink i made the right decision...
Sponsored