Sponsored

Buyers remorse...2015 v6 mustang

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Taking a loan is a necessity for MANY people. It is a way for us to have things now. But it comes at a cost. Most people know this and accept it for big ticket items, because the immediacy of having the item outweighs the time it would take to save. But when items are in our wheelhouse, when we can afford them, it’s not bad practice to stay away from loans. We buy depreciating assets with cash all the time (shoes, phones, etc). If you can afford something there is nothing wrong with buying it.

Remember - a loan is a loss of money. If we were offered a car for 30K or the exact same car for 32K, which would we choose? Even if the difference was less, we would choose the better deal. Who wants to throw away money? We even nitpick fees during negotiations to cut off a few hundred bucks. But when it comes to a loan vs. paying in full, people justify loans left and right. Why? Because for many it is a necessity to take a loan, and that’s okay. It’s an acceptable loss we’re willing to take. But let’s not fool ourselves: loans are a guaranteed loss of $.

When you take out loans in order to invest, you are hedging your bets. It’s called speculation. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not. But regardless of the success; there are stipulations that you accept (time, fees, stress, etc.). My father-in-law speculated like this with my wife’s student loan. He had the $ to pay it off, and promised her he would, but rationalized that the interest rate was so low he could make more in the market. Long story short… well, you can guess what happened there.

I approach car payments like I do car insurance. My insurance has an option to make monthly payments or pay up front. If I make payments the total cost is higher than if I pay up front. So if my insurance is $1500 or $1650, I’m going to choose $1500. Over the course of 50 years of driving, simply by accepting the monthly payments I would overpay $7500 (numbers of course would be different over time). If I have the choice to buy my car for 30k or 32k, guess which one I’m going to choose? Let’s say over the course of my life I buy 10 cars with a loan. That’s like overpaying $20k (numbers of course would be different over time). If a person can afford to do so, it isn’t bad math to pay up front.
Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Maybe invest in some mods to help cure some of that coulda had the v8?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Theres always that select few "pay cash, screw credit" people.

Those people make it sound like credit is a horrible thing to have, when in fact it can help you tremendously in life. Its pretty much essential for anything.
I'm one of those people... except when we have such low interest rates!

I put down a good sum and used the other money to get some ETFs and one MF. Hopefully the market won't crash. :doh:

I know... a gamble... but I'll pay off the Mustang early, before two years is up.

Credit is a great thing to have...

Far as the OP: I normally tell people to get what they want and be happy... only live once. In your case, you might want to get on sound financial grounds before making more money moves. I might even suggested keeping the car you traded for the mustang... I kept my Honda for 10 years... sentra is a great car (last I remember).

Mustangs can be expensive "toys". I'm fighting the urge to get a tune, intake and muffler job... the car is winning.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper5.0

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
OP here, thanks for the insight guys. Maybe I should have put it into different terms. I don't regret buying my v6 because I love it and it's probably the best car I've ever driven, plus I've never driven a 300hp MT pony. So definitely no regrets.
I think I just suffered from that "could've had a v8 mentality" for a while, I'm sure many v6 owners have experienced that at least once but there will always be better so I think it's best to just stick with it as long as possible. No problem for me, it's still a Mustang. Plus knowing that my car is just as fast as older GT models actually puts my mind at ease.

Anyways, since that is over with, I do want to give my car a bit more growl. For you 2015 v6 stang owners out there, what is the best exhaust to get that growl, and did it ruin your warranty?

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful ´15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
For you 2015 v6 stang owners out there, what is the best exhaust to get that growl, and did it ruin your warranty?
From what I've heard so far, I'm going with the Roush axle backs; and the price is pretty good too !

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stormtrooper5.0

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
From what I've heard so far, I'm going with the Roush axle backs; and the price is pretty good too !
Since you have to cut the stock exhaust, would this void your warranty? I was thinking of getting those.

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful ´15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
Since you have to cut the stock exhaust, would this void your warranty? I was thinking of getting those.
Well, technically it shouldnt void anything not related to your exhaust...
And Roush being officially working with Ford, I wouldnt worry too much... I dont actually lol, getting mine soon (and my car too lol)

OP
OP
Stormtrooper5.0

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I'm one of those people... except when we have such low interest rates!

I put down a good sum and used the other money to get some ETFs and one MF. Hopefully the market won't crash. :doh:

I know... a gamble... but I'll pay off the Mustang early, before two years is up.

Credit is a great thing to have...

Far as the OP: I normally tell people to get what they want and be happy... only live once. In your case, you might want to get on sound financial grounds before making more money moves. I might even suggested keeping the car you traded for the mustang... I kept my Honda for 10 years... sentra is a great car (last I remember).

Mustangs can be expensive "toys". I'm fighting the urge to get a tune, intake and muffler job... the car is winning.
I got the Sentra because the MPG was really good, that’s what sold me. BUT the acceleration was VERY underwhelming, it felt like it had 90hp, during the test drive I didn’t even think about the acceleration and I just wanted to see if it was a comfortable car which it was, but after a while I couldn’t take it. It's a good family car but as a single guy in his 20s w/ no kids, I wanted a chance to drive a car that I would actually enjoy so I traded it in for my V6 Mustang. I rolled the loan over to the 22k Mustang and after everything it came out to 30k. Financially, it was a stupid decision.. but car-wise, I really enjoy this car, I still get decent MPG, my insurance is still cheap, it looks better than a Sentra, has a lot more power, and I get a lot of compliments on it…something I was never used to.

Reactions: vr4
OP
OP
Stormtrooper5.0

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Well, technically it shouldnt void anything not related to your exhaust...
And Roush being officially working with Ford, I wouldnt worry too much... I dont actually lol, getting mine soon (and my car too lol)
Ah I see, yea I've been watching videos on it and it definitely has that growl I'm looking for. I may get it.

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Credits not bad. Its in the 800s last time I checked. Doesnt matter if you pay in full though. The 7k was a mistake. I was thinking of something else. My bad. Don't drink and think ;)

Anyway, paying in full for something and owning is much better than financing. Trust me. Its done me and my family wonders for years. We own several buildings in our business. Not finance. Buy where you can. Yes cars depreciate. But everyone needs em.

If the OP is already 30k in on a v6 stang he shouldnt be going in any deeper is the point of all of this.

Drinking and thinking is dangerous lol.

Paying outright can be better than financing, but if you can get a really low interest rate on the loan, you can have your money making more over the life of the loan than you pay in interest and end up ahead. If you're disciplined you can keep making that money work for you. More often than not people aren't though. I'm not saying paying in cash is dumb, but there are merits to financing if done right.

Agreed 100% that OP shouldn't get in any deeper. I think we all agree on that.

Sponsored

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ah I see, yea I've been watching videos on it and it definitely has that growl I'm looking for. I may get it.
I would imagine the only warranty issue you would run into is from the resonator back. Everything upstream should remain covered.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
How has everything/one in this country become so damn hostile? Lighten up Francis!
LOLOL Everyone is hostile on the interwebs.:paddle: There is no repercussions for the rudeness.

longislander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Pontiac Solstice
Remember - a loan is a loss of money. If we were offered a car for 30K or the exact same car for 32K, which would we choose? Even if the difference was less, we would choose the better deal.
That's not exactly the choice. The choice is to pay 30K NOW or 32K over a future period. You can't ignore the time value of money. Theoretically, if inflation rears its ugly head, the loan would be repaid with cheaper dollars.

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
LOLOL Everyone is hostile on the interwebs.:paddle: There is no repercussions for the rudeness.
They also get all hyped up because they can infer the most negative outcome/attitude out of someone's question or situation. Negative outlooks in life fulfill the instinctual need to fight. Some people seem to struggle with a purpose in life, on the internet, if they aren't fighting.

As for the OP, stick to what you have and focus on paying it down. Do NOT roll negative equity in a car loan. As for all the scenarios being tossed around you can do what you want. Just stick to the simple rule of avoiding negative equity entering into a new loan.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
They also get all hyped up because they can infer the most negative outcome/attitude out of someone's question or situation. Negative outlooks in life fulfill the instinctual need to fight. Some people seem to struggle with a purpose in life, on the internet, if they aren't fighting.

As for the OP, stick to what you have and focus on paying it down. Do NOT roll negative equity in a car loan. As for all the scenarios being tossed around you can do what you want. Just stick to the simple rule of avoiding negative equity entering into a new loan.
If the negative equity was rolled into a lower interest rate, it would be a small win.
Sponsored