Sponsored

broken output shaft speed sensor

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
so as the title states my output shaft speed sensor broke, i did order a new one but my question is how bad is it to drive while its broken, its a 17 gt manual, i havent noticed it acting weird or anything only thing is the code it throws so far but only driven it maybe 10 miles
Sponsored

RR_S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT PP1, 1995 GT (paper weight)
so as the title states my output shaft speed sensor broke, i did order a new one but my question is how bad is it to drive while its broken, its a 17 gt manual, i havent noticed it acting weird or anything only thing is the code it throws so far but only driven it maybe 10 miles
Subscribed as I have a similar, but different issue listed in another thread, for my 2018... hoping anyone who comments with expertise may shed light on my issue (P0720 code thrown). Would you have any pics from under the car? I may go out this weekend and snag some pics that may be good to compare to.

OP
OP
Whitewalkers550

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Subscribed as I have a similar, but different issue listed in another thread, for my 2018... hoping anyone who comments with expertise may shed light on my issue (P0720 code thrown). Would you have any pics from under the car? I may go out this weekend and snag some pics that may be good to compare to.
what kinda pics are you looking for, i know my speed sensor snapped internally when the trans blew up, rebuilt the trans but still waiting on the sensor

RR_S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what kinda pics are you looking for, i know my speed sensor snapped internally when the trans blew up, rebuilt the trans but still waiting on the sensor
Nothing too specific, was hoping for a location/view on the trans. I’ve seen a few pictures, but still not too clear on where it’s supposed to be.

Attaching an image of my trans where the sensor is “supposed to be” (per the one Ford dealer)

7AAC7CC5-2599-4A85-865D-A8DA5789EEB8.jpeg

OP
OP
Whitewalkers550

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Nothing too specific, was hoping for a location/view on the trans. I’ve seen a few pictures, but still not too clear on where it’s supposed to be.

Attaching an image of my trans where the sensor is “supposed to be” (per the one Ford dealer)

7AAC7CC5-2599-4A85-865D-A8DA5789EEB8.jpeg

granted this isnt my car however its exactly the same as mine but its this part right here

Inkedmt 82_LI.jpg

Sponsored

RR_S550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And back to your original post... unfortunately I’m not a SME (clearly) but from what I’ve gathered it’s for vehicle speed, though some sources have said it’s pulled from an ABS sensor. Doesn’t seem like it would be hurtful to the car, at least temporarily.

Curious if your Speedo works?

OP
OP
Whitewalkers550

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
And back to your original post... unfortunately I’m not a SME (clearly) but from what I’ve gathered it’s for vehicle speed, though some sources have said it’s pulled from an ABS sensor. Doesn’t seem like it would be hurtful to the car, at least temporarily.

Curious if your Speedo works?

yea speedo works and everything and i havent noticed the car doin anything crazy or weird and im not sure what that communicates with and for what so i guess im gonna keep driving it till my new one comes in monday haha

esco11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
yea speedo works and everything and i havent noticed the car doin anything crazy or weird and im not sure what that communicates with and for what so i guess im gonna keep driving it till my new one comes in monday haha
I just had this come up on my 16 GT manual.
How long did the sensor swap take?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Whitewalkers550

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I just had this come up on my 16 GT manual.
How long did the sensor swap take?
the sensor swap is very quick only one bolt holds it in, however get ready to lose some fluid and have quick hands haha

esco11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
the sensor swap is very quick only one bolt holds it in, however get ready to lose some fluid and have quick hands haha
Oh boy, was hoping It was high enough to not have that happen :crackup:

I’ll probably just use it as an excuse to do a trans fluid change then.

On another note, I think that sensor might have something to do with the annoying rev hang on these cars.
That or rev hang just disables once the wrench light pops up.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I think the sensor basically give the ECU data to compare to engine speed and wheel speed to know if it is within the specified range based upon the preprogrammed gear ratios.
Sponsored