Bridgestone potenza S-04 for trackdays

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Has anybody used these tires on track? I think they'll be replacing my stock pirelli all seasons, but I want to make sure the heat from track driving won't blister or shred them.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody used these tires on track? I think they'll be replacing my stock pirelli all seasons, but I want to make sure the heat from track driving won't blister or shred them.
Well they're very much a street tire. I've never driven on them, but what I do know is that they'll probably overheat and get greasy pretty quickly. If you can choose something else, I would.

OP
OP
Thub

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Any suggestions? I'm looking for a decent performing tire I can get like 15-20k miles out of.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Any suggestions? I'm looking for a decent performing tire I can get like 15-20k miles out of.
Pilot Super Sports will do that with one or two track days. I got 30k on a set with 5 or 6 autocrosses, 1 track day and the rest street DD miles

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Pilot Super Sports will do that.
And if you can't find a set of those, keep an eye on the forums. I picked up a set of Pilot Sport 4 S takeoffs with 100 miles on them for $800. The PS4S is the replacement for the PSS.

JR

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
And if you can't find a set of those, keep an eye on the forums. I picked up a set of Pilot Sport 4 S takeoffs with 100 miles on them for $800. The PS4S is the replacement for the PSS.

JR
PSS is actually known to be a little bit more durable.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
PSS is actually known to be a little bit more durable.
Good to know. I've been on my PS4S for about a thousand miles, but haven't had a chance to really push the car. They still look brand new.

JR

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
How would a hankook rs4 or Dunlop direzza ziii do? Would either of those two hit 20k street miles with auto x or an occasional track day sprinkled in? I have read that those two hold up well just no definitive mileage info

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
How would a hankook rs4 or Dunlop direzza ziii do? Would either of those two hit 20k street miles with auto x or an occasional track day sprinkled in? I have read that those two hold up well just no definitive mileage info
Doubtful they'd last that long. I'd expect 12-15k miles with that usage, possibly less.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Doubtful they'd last that long. I'd expect 12-15k miles with that usage, possibly less.
Damn that's what I thought would be said, was hoping I was wrong.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
To support what Bmac said, I ran a set of RS4s into the ground with 1-2 track days a month and daily driving... lasted about 10k.

I would also suggest to the OP... for the occasional track day outing and mostly street driving, run a PSS or PS4. I ran the PS4s when I started out learning track and they held up just fine. As soon as my driving ability started to improve to the point of pushing the car 8/10s then those tires ended up getting destroyed. At that point, you would want to get a dedicated set of wheels for track with appropriate tires.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
To support what Bmac said, I ran a set of RS4s into the ground with 1-2 track days a month and daily driving... lasted about 10k.

I would also suggest to the OP... for the occasional track day outing and mostly street driving, run a PSS or PS4. I ran the PS4s when I started out learning track and they held up just fine. As soon as my driving ability started to improve to the point of pushing the car 8/10s then those tires ended up getting destroyed. At that point, you would want to get a dedicated set of wheels for track with appropriate tires.
This.

Having a separate set for the track makes it sooo much easier. You can buy a sporting, but high wearing, quiet and comfortable tire (gasp, even an AS) for the street, and a grip monster for the track.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

Hankook had the lowest wear in the last Tire Rack 200TW test. But I don't know how that compares to a 300TW tire.

Do you want to go fast, or do you want your tires to last a long time? Best thing for long tire life is a good setup, and avoiding over stressing them (ham fisted aggressive track driving is likely to kill any street tire pretty fast).

The value choice seems to be the Firestone Indy's but they are 2 or so seconds slower than MPSS. The RS4 will be faster, but probably won't last as long. And will be louder and not very good in the rain.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
This.

Having a separate set for the track makes it sooo much easier. You can buy a sporting, but high wearing, quiet and comfortable tire (gasp, even an AS) for the street, and a grip monster for the track.

Right. And in general you will get more life out of the tires AND better performance in their target environments. Plus you can up size the tires and wheels to something more track ready and still be lighter.

I have never understood all the people. who want to spend money on a bunch of mods but think having two sets of wheels & tires is an impossible extravagance. I am current up ot to 3 sets for the Mustang, and I have 6 for the SRF (3 sets is the minimum I would consider for a race car)

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Not sure your skill level. The S-04s will do for beginner level or intermediate.Advanced drivers will burn them up in 1-2 weekends of track use. If you're only running a couple events a year expect to go through two sets a year depending on your street mileage. Better yet, do what others have suggested and get a 2nd set of wheels for track use.
Sponsored