Sponsored

BREITLING, ROLEX, TUDOR, OMEGA, anybody into high end watches?

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Rolex Market is getting softer as the economy worsens. Hate to want to sell one now. Even eBay retailers are taking offers, just not "unreasonable" ones at Rolex Retailer prices. Box and Papers are hard to come by especially on older models. You may want to try online outlets like Delray Watch. However you may get an offer that would insult you.

I do like Tudor, but not enough to buy. My Favorite Tudor is the Pelagos. Was offered a used Ranger recently for $2,700. In retrospect should have snapped it up.
Yeah, that was a good price on the Ranger. My daily watch is a two-tone Rolex 16803 sub that I have worn for at least 25 years. These things are indestructible and I wear it doing everything from gardening to car wrenching. You cannot kill these things. The price is now around $10-$12K and a great value. I still have my boxes and papers and don’t understand how these get misplaced so often when they come up for sale.
B7981A6A-468C-4B1B-8E90-1B8720BB76BD.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
ClayDee

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
I didn't take any pictures by my AD had a Tudor Ranger in stock yesterday and it was the first one I've seen in person.

I tried it on and it was really underwhelming to be honest. Not sure what I expected given the internet hype, it was solidly constructed and felt like it was good quality, but very very basic. It just didn't stand out as something I'd wear or needed in my collection.

Yea, although I respect the Tudor Brand, those timepieces just don't do anything for me either. Not for the price anyways.
Yeah, that was a good price on the Ranger. My daily watch is a two-tone Rolex 16803 sub that I have worn for at least 25 years. These things are indestructible and I wear it doing everything from gardening to car wrenching. You cannot kill these things. The price is now around $10-$12K and a great value. I still have my boxes and papers and don’t understand how these get misplaced so often when they come up for sale.
B7981A6A-468C-4B1B-8E90-1B8720BB76BD.jpeg
Very Nice!

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Yea, although I respect the Tudor Brand, those timepieces just don't do anything for me either. Not for the price anyways.
I see people say this every so often, what is it about the watches that make you think they're priced incorrectly?

I have a BB GMT and at the 4k price point a true GMT with an in house movement seems to check all the boxes in my eyes.

The new Chrono that uses the B01 movement is also at least 2k cheaper than any Breitling with that movement in it which is wild to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ClayDee

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
I see people say this every so often, what is it about the watches that make you think they're priced incorrectly?

I have a BB GMT and at the 4k price point a true GMT with an in house movement seems to check all the boxes in my eyes.

The new Chrono that uses the B01 movement is also at least 2k cheaper than any Breathing with that movement in it which is wild to me.

Not hating. They are just not my cup of tea so to speak.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Not hating. They are just not my cup of tea so to speak.
I feel the same way about Rolex. Mad respect for the brand and what it stands for. But, for me, I’d rather have an Omega. That said I really do like the new generation Tudors especially the Pelagos and Black Bay. They are certainly a good value for their quality.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ClayDee

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350

The new Chrono that uses the B01 movement is also at least 2k cheaper than any Breathing with that movement in it which is wild to me.

I'm the kind of a guy who likes more of a flashy time piece. Tudor just doesn't do it for me in that category. Definitely respect the brand and quality though.

Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Aston Martin N430 .Mustang GT .Mercedes Benz AMG,
Vehicle Showcase
I wear a two tone Rolex sub …until a few months back when the petrol attendant commented he liked my Rolex, ( how does he know Rolex from timex I ask) I have now left it at home and purchased a stainless Omega sea master …South Africa is a lawless country and we simply cannot risk our lives with these flashy pieces any longer …my wife used to wear a gold ladies Rolex also in the safe now concerned for her own safety saying it’s not worth the risks

062626ED-C6EB-4F5C-827F-1AE61C3CB07E.png

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I wear a two tone Rolex sub …until a few months back when the petrol attendant commented he liked my Rolex, ( how does he know Rolex from timex I ask) I have now left it at home and purchased a stainless Omega sea master …South Africa is a lawless country and we simply cannot risk our lives with these flashy pieces any longer …my wife used to wear a gold ladies Rolex also in the safe now concerned for her own safety saying it’s not worth the risks
The Rolex Sub is probably the most recognizable watch in the world. Was it really a surprise to you?

I understand your safety concern but... Rolex is the only watch brand non-watch people know.

I've never had any random people comment on my IWC and once had a conversation with someone who asked what I was wearing after I complimented his watch and compared it to a Seiko.

Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Aston Martin N430 .Mustang GT .Mercedes Benz AMG,
Vehicle Showcase
The Rolex Sub is probably the most recognizable watch in the world. Was it really a surprise to you?

I understand your safety concern but... Rolex is the only watch brand non-watch people know.

I've never had any random people comment on my IWC and once had a conversation with someone who asked what I was wearing after I complimented his watch and compared it to a Seiko.
Im sure they are well known, certainly easier to sell if needed than others …as for people with very little education identifying them people who traditionally rob steal and murder as we see in SA ( more murders in 1 year than all lives lost in Afghanistan war and current Ukraine war combined) we really need to be vigilant it’s sad actually

here is an IWC ..one of only 150 to be made it’s the top gun special addition @ R750 000.00 (circa 45000USD) as you say it’s doubtful it will be recognised this is the only example in SA as far as I know

6C477342-CAE2-4AE6-834E-C9A99DA5D398.png

DavidinDurango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My Rolex story: While visiting a watch maker in Santa Fe I told him about being at a car event in Texas and seeing, for the first time, gold Daytonas. Everyone was sporting a gold Daytona! I had never even seen one before . . . . Watchmaker says "oh yeah, Texas Timex."
Bwahahahahaha

Sponsored

Cav427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It’s a pretty impressive collection of companies.
https://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands-companies
Swatch group, a bunch of clowns. They're watering down Omega with the "Moonswatch" to keep Swatch relevant. The System 51 should have been sufficient enough. Yup, some great companies in their group, but doesn't help when you make knockoffs of an Icon and sell them yourself.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Swatch group, a bunch of clowns. They're watering down Omega with the "Moonswatch" to keep Swatch relevant. The System 51 should have been sufficient enough. Yup, some great companies in their group, but doesn't help when you make knockoffs of an Icon and sell them yourself.
I disagree that Omega has been watered down by the MoonSwatch. The Speedy Pro was always a grail watch for me. I just couldn’t hit the switch on a now $6600 watch. When the MS was first announced I was really looking to getting a few. Then my wife decided that I should have my dream watch for my 70th birthday. I’ve been wearing it proudly since last June and never once felt it was less than an Omega because of the MS.

Cav427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The Omega Speedmaster Professional is a great watch and will always have a fan base. You are no stranger too it. I do know this though, if I were to buy a "Dark Side of the Moon" Speedmaster Professional, only to have some clown mistake it for a $275 Moonswatch I would be a bit POed.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I hear you but if this were to happen to me (it hasn’t happened yet) I’d take a minute to explain the difference. Passing on horological knowledge is a good thing.

Cav427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I hear you but if this were to happen to me (it hasn’t happened yet) I’d take a minute to explain the difference. Passing on horological knowledge is a good thing.
I do agree with that. But that is why I stated Swatch group is "watering down" the brand. My opinion, doesn't mean I am correct, also wouldn't prevent me personally from buying a Speedy, but it does make me pause and be more price conscious.
Sponsored