Sponsored

Brake Caliper Damage In Shipping...Are these ok?

JStang93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I purchased a set of front GT rotors, calipers and pad for my son's V6 and they just arrived all in one box with minimal packaging. As expected, their is some damage - mainly to the aluminum caliper mounting ears - as the softer material vs the rotors. Before I try to work with seller on Ebay, can I file down the gouges and use? Here are a few pics of the larger gouges on the mounting points.

Excited to get this job done, but want to make sure these are usable calipers first. Thank you.

Brakes caliper damage 3.jpg
Brakes caliper damage 4.jpg
Brakes caliper damage 5.jpg
Brakes caliper damage.jpg
Brakes caliper damage2.jpg
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; damage looks cosmetic rather than structural. Clean it up so they mount square/true. That said the seller is questionable and thus his stuff is also questionable. I do not know the rules if the parts are not good.
I also do not know if the parts are rare or if you saved a lot of money. A good thing is calipers can be rebuilt (at least I could get kits and have rebuilt some decades ago).
good luck

OP
OP

JStang93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Hello; damage looks cosmetic rather than structural. Clean it up so they mount square/true. That said the seller is questionable and thus his stuff is also questionable. I do not know the rules if the parts are not good.
I also do not know if the parts are rare or if you saved a lot of money. A good thing is calipers can be rebuilt (at least I could get kits and have rebuilt some decades ago).
good luck
Thanks for reply. They are new take off parts, so literally zero use/wear...until knucklehead had a 5th grader package them all in one box. Here's your sign....

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Thanks for reply. They are new take off parts, so literally zero use/wear...until knucklehead had a 5th grader package them all in one box. Here's your sign....
The damage is nothing to worry about. It looks to be completely cosmetic and you won't even see it once they are mounted to the car. If it really bothers you, you can work with the seller but I've dealt with Ebay before and they tend to side with the seller on issues like this. All they have to do is claim they packaged it correctly and unless you have a literal video of you opening the box proving it was packed poorly, its on the shipping company to replace. Which unless you bought shipping insurance, won't happen.

Put them on the car and have a blast. I have a 16 V6 before my GT and the 4 piston brake upgrade was a world of difference!

OP
OP

JStang93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
The damage is nothing to worry about. It looks to be completely cosmetic and you won't even see it once they are mounted to the car. If it really bothers you, you can work with the seller but I've dealt with Ebay before and they tend to side with the seller on issues like this. All they have to do is claim they packaged it correctly and unless you have a literal video of you opening the box proving it was packed poorly, its on the shipping company to replace. Which unless you bought shipping insurance, won't happen.

Put them on the car and have a blast. I have a 16 V6 before my GT and the 4 piston brake upgrade was a world of difference!
Fair enough. I was really a bit concerned since it is the mounting surfaces that are goobered up. I will sand them down and feel better about it once we've painted them with G2 Caliper paint.

Sponsored

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Contact the seller, ask for a partial refund. You can send photos on the message you send them. ebay’s policy is that the item must arrive in same condition as listed. I always photo the box and the packaging was I open it. I bought a body part for my bike that was scratched but I was able to do some work and get it out. Seller offered a partial refund as they did not want to deal with shipping costs that they are responsible for.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Being as they are aluminum you can dremel or sand the ears to clean them up. More important test fit bolts into the threaded parts to make sure they are good to go.
Sponsored