Sponsored

Bought a used mustang and just found there is a Recall.

Wstan1101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I bought a used mustang ecoboost 2015 recently. And today I found there is a recall showed on my car's record. I asked the person who sold me this mustang, he said he did not go to dealer and check. The recall is about underbody temperature. The question is what should I do before I take my car to dealer? Since there are some mods on my car and I don't know if they will refuse service because of these mods. catback exhaust, CAI, COBB accessport(I think maybe I should flash my car to stock Ecu?) and a BOV. Do I need to change anything above to stock before I go to Ford? Thanks.
Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
No. They will do the recall work no matter what mods you have. They may or may not take note of your mods (probably not), and if or when you have any warranty work related to your mods you may have issue.

How many miles do you have left on your warranty?

OP
OP

Wstan1101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
No. They will do the recall work no matter what mods you have. They may or may not take note of your mods (probably not), and if or when you have any warranty work related to your mods you may have issue.

How many miles do you have left on your warranty?
I just ask the person who sold me that car, he said 3yr/36000miles basic, 5yr/60000 miles powertrain.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
un-marry the Cobb, If they update your ecu with the cobb married you are screwed.

I would put the stock intake on just to be safe and it only takes 15 minutes, Don't worry about the BOV, They won't care and they would have a hell of a time trying to deny a future warranty claim on a BOV.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wstan1101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
un-marry the Cobb, If they update your ecu with the cobb married you are screwed.

I would put the stock intake on just to be safe and it only takes 15 minutes, Don't worry about the BOV, They won't care and they would have a hell of a time trying to deny a future warranty claim on a BOV.
Thanks, Will they notice if I have tuned my car with cobb ots tune even though I unmarry the cobb before take my car to dealership? I have not go to any dealers in my life. I don't really know what will they do? Will they check my car to see if there is mod on it or check my ecu to find if I did anything?:ninja:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Thanks, Will they notice if I have tuned my car with cobb ots tune even though I unmarry the cobb before take my car to dealership? I have not go to any dealers in my life. I don't really know what will they do? Will they check my car to see if there is mod on it or check my ecu to find if I did anything?:ninja:
No they won't check the ECU unless you had warranty work you wanted done, Even then depending on what it was, they may not even bother, it is debatable if the can detect an unmarried Cobb but it is just best to assume they could if the dug deep enough.

Since this is an old recall they definitely will not care that it is modded and will not look at ecu data for the number of flashes. The problem with the ecu is if Ford has released any new calibrations since the car was built, it will pop up in the system and if they are incompetent, they will probably flash it deleting the calibration in it making your Cobb useless as it is married to the old calibration. (happened to my buddy on his Subaru) If they are competent, they will see the non factory calibration and note it down in the ford system forever voiding your power train warranty. Obvious mods like the CAI might get noted as well if the tech wants to be bothered with the extra work or just wants to be a dick.

I took my car to the dealer after un-marrying my Cobb and told them that i read somewhere that ford had released a new calibration. They plugged it in and told me I have the latest calibration for a US spec car (Euro specs DO have a different calibration!) I asked if there were any faults or issues with the software, I made up a story about some hesitation and that I cleared it with my OBD scanner and it went away. He said there were no codes stored in the ecu and said nothing about number of flashes or that they even knew my cobb tune was ever there. I asked if using the bluetooth OBDII scanner would void my warranty and he said no.

Two of my friends were Auto techs here in Germany, one was Toyota, one was Alfa-Romeo. Alfa looks for any reason to deny warranty work and instructs their techs to note down any mods and to pour over service documents at every service, looking for missed appointments. basically to hide their shoddy reliability , He quit working there to open his own garage because he hated how they treated customers

Toyota only instructs the techs to look for mods that may have caused damage if the car was there for a warranty claim. If he thought that person was cool and didn't do anything blatant he wouldn't report it. (Besides, modding is not as common on modern Toyotas because until the FRS, they really didn't sell anything worth modding after 2002.

He only left Toyota because he got a better offer from another dealership.
Sponsored