Sponsored

Body mount or trans mounted shifter?

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
Anyone had experiece with both? Read about the advantages and disadvantages of both but wanted to see what others thought. One feel more precise than the other?
Sponsored

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Anyone had experiece with both? Read about the advantages and disadvantages of both but wanted to see what others thought. One feel more precise than the other?
Have the Blowfish Racing bracket which mounts to tranny. Yes, more precise particularly on heavy throttle where the tranny would be moving around. Better overall fee on the shifter without the floppy bushing. More noise and vibration from the transmission...but in a good way. I like to feel what the car is doing. Not harsh, just more old school.

The MGW and Barton solutions are undoubtedly better than hacking the OEM with a bracket. But works for me for now. Huge improvement.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven the Blowfish and mgw. The Blowfish can make for some nvh because of the rest of the cheap shifter and possibly make the reverse collar rattle. The mgw has very little overall. A very small increase in vibration through the shifter but overall a huge improvement. I would highly recommend trans mount, either MGW or Barton Hybrid 3. It makes every shift feel fantastic and there's never any slop or misalignment like stock.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
What do you guys think of the Steeda Triax in comparision to the MGW or the Barton3? My stock shifter has started to get my attention in a negative way. I think the throws are too long for a sports car and the gates feel imprecise, especially 2-3 and 4-5. And don't get me started on the "rubber bands feel" on the 1-2 shift.

I can deal with slightly more NVH than stock, but I don't want a buzz bomb in my hand. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I haven't replaced the stock shift knob. Because it has a steel weight in it, which damps vibration and aids in muscling the shifter into gear (moving mass as you shift). I bought a fancy-looking aftermarket knob, but it was hollow plastic and weighed nothing. Hated how it felt, so I sent it back.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What do you guys think of the Steeda Triax in comparision to the MGW or the Barton3? My stock shifter has started to get my attention in a negative way. I think the throws are too long for a sports car and the gates feel imprecise, especially 2-3 and 4-5. And don't get me started on the "rubber bands feel" on the 1-2 shift.

I can deal with slightly more NVH than stock, but I don't want a buzz bomb in my hand. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I haven't replaced the stock shift knob. Because it has a steel weight in it, which damps vibration and aids in muscling the shifter into gear (moving mass as you shift). I bought a fancy-looking aftermarket knob, but it was hollow plastic and weighed nothing. Hated how it felt, so I sent it back.
I like Steeda's product. It's very nicely made.

That said, it is a step down in feel/performance overall compared to a trans mount MGW or Barton. I'm sure if they made a full trans mount that did not reuse the stock multi-joint linkage, it would be just as good. I have driven stock, stock + energy bushing (what I have), stock + Blowfish, stock + Tri-Ax Race and MGW race spec. MGW was head and shoulders above anything else. It does not have much noticeable vibration in hand, barely more than stock. As everyone usually says, it legit feels like a well-oiled bolt-action. Precision is the best adjective.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks for the detailed explanation [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION]. Greatly appreciated. I've been watching the YT vidoes on the Barton and MGW. It's amazing how absolutely lousy the stock shifter and the parts that it's composed of are compared to the Barton or MGW! A shifter might be next on the list of mods. With as much as I drive it's an improvement that would give a lot of tangible results daily.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed explanation [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION]. Greatly appreciated. I've been watching the YT vidoes on the Barton and MGW. It's amazing how absolutely lousy the stock shifter and the parts that it's composed of are compared to the Barton or MGW! A shifter might be next on the list of mods. With as much as I drive it's an improvement that would give a lot of tangible results daily.
Same for me. It's next on the list of actual hardware mods. Tint will probably be before that. You will need a day or three to get used to the throws, but I can tell you I acclimated very quickly in 10 minutes of driving and can say that MGW + BG Syncroshift II is absolutely mega. It feels superb and stacks up well to any shifter in any car period.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
The shifter feel is one thing about my S550 that's never really grown on me. Years back I had several Honda CRXs and Civics (sacrilege!) and the shifter just "snick-snicked" into gear. I feel like I'm fighting the shifter in the S550, especially when trying to drive quickly.

I watched a Barton video where the guy explains how they use lots of O-rings to isolate and prevent metal-to-metal contact. Impressively, he puts a cup of water directly on top of the shift rod and the water barely vibrates. I like the idea of not a lot vibration coming through the shifter. Is the MGW equal to the Barton in the vibrational aspect?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The shifter feel is one thing about my S550 that's never really grown on me. Years back I had several Honda CRXs and Civics (sacrilege!) and the shifter just "snick-snicked" into gear. I feel like I'm fighting the shifter in the S550, especially when trying to drive quickly.

I watched a Barton video where the guy explains how they use lots of O-rings to isolate and prevent metal-to-metal contact. Impressively, he puts a cup of water directly on top of the shift rod and the water barely vibrates. I like the idea of not a lot vibration coming through the shifter. Is the MGW equal to the Barton in the vibrational aspect?
It snick-snicks into gear just like that, though with a little more effort because of the throw. It felt no different for vibration than my stock shifter with the energy suspension bushing in the stamped stock shifter bracket, which is to say not very much. The only time you'd ever notice vibration is if you've got nothing to do at a stop light and lightly touch your finger to it. You can't really feel it when shifting.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks again, BmacIL. This upgradeitis is getting expensive. LOL!
Sponsored