Sponsored

Blue Smoke and catch cans and pulling my hair out

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
OK- To start with- NO blue smoke at idle. Getting ready for a tune, put in new plugs, tb spacer, manifold spacer. No blue smoke. Figured this was the time to install passenger side and driver side catch cans-and now I get blue smoke occasionally, some days none, and other days looks like my trunk is on fire. Put the original hoses back. No smoke.

I have double and triple checked hose routing, tried adding a UPR crankcase breather (which made smoke worse), I have no CEL's, engine feels like it is running smoother than before and pulling harder.

Reading through the multiple threads on blue smoke (yes I tried to read them all, there are a lot) It looks like I need to pull the manifold off, gut the PCV system and insert a check valve? Is this correct? My other thought was ordering the Radium engineering PCV Baffle Plate which has a built in check valve. Pro's and cons to either?

****UPDATE******
And..... My car is F^%%%$! possessed. Last two days no smoking in long trips or stop and go traffic... What the bloody hell?! I have to assume either there was some coating in the catch cans or that I was overly liberal in lubing the hose fittings. Still, already ordered the Radium plate, so something else to fiddle with
Sponsored

Last edited:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
By hose routing, you also mean check valve direction as well?

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no check valve- basically cut the originally hoses, plug in spacer to extend hoses attach to can in or out

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Weird. I got tons of smoke after a catless DP and the UPR DVCC fixed it completely.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boomba. I think part of the problem may just be the lack of a check valve. Now to decide whether to replace the PCV setup with the Radium which has the extra baffling and check valve, or just order a UPR check valve and gut the PCV setup. Tempted to go with the radium since I have to take the manifold off regardless.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Is it possible that the cans are too restrictive? That's the only thing I can think of.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Didn't happen to buy your car at Landmark Ford, did you? ;) I'm wondering if you own the "clone" of my custom order...the guy who orders the dealer stock cars liked mine so much when it came it that he ordered one just like it :thumbsup: See my signature for the details!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't happen to buy your car at Landmark Ford, did you? ;) I'm wondering if you own the "clone" of my custom order...the guy who orders the dealer stock cars liked mine so much when it came it that he ordered one just like it :thumbsup: See my signature for the details!
Actually picked it up at Washougal Ford. Was not impressed with Landmarks service
Sponsored