Sponsored

Black paint scratches, swirls, spiderwebs

phxhess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
I have been having issues with the paint repair on my vehicle since we took delivery on August 17th. When I purchased the car I found the deal online and negotiated the deal before going to the dealer. I arrived to find the vehicle completely dirty but they said they would clean it so I did the test drive and moved forward. Upon delivery, it was 8pm and dark so the car looked perfect. The next day I saw the imperfections in the sun and called the salesperson. He assured me it would be taken care of.

Long story short, they have tried twice to fix the issues and have made it worse. Before taking the second time I had the customer service team and salesperson verify what they would do to the car. They said they would be doing a full polish. When I picked up the vehicle, it was covered in dust, and when I got home, all of the paint issues were still there.

I pursued BBB and Ford Motors directly, but I'm wondering if anyone else had any similar issues. Quote from detailers range from $400 to $800 but I've never worked with a detailer before. Any help or comments are welcomed.
Thanks!
small 2.jpg
092316smal1623a.jpg
Sponsored

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
800 for paint correction is absurd. It differs from area to area but i do full exteriors through my company for $250. I also have a,16 black gt. I noticed the shadow black paint does seem to be soft. Im very expierenced with black cars of my own and even i get a few swirls doing everything right

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I've said it before...never allow the dealer to prep your new car.

Last edited:

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Swirls and spiderwebs are inevitable on all different colors of paint, no matter how careful you are! Black paint just happens to reveal them much more easily as opposed to white or silver.

I'm going to assume you bought the car used. Regardless of the car being new or used, those scratches, swirls and spiderwebs have been installed due to improper wash/dry techniques by either you, the previous owner, and/or the dealer.

$800 is definitely a bit absurd for paint correction, so keep shopping around!

I also suggest that you NEVER take your car to an automatic car wash, and that you follow the information from these links to minimize post paint correction swirls:

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html

http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard.html

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Detailer can fix that no problem, just keep getting estimates

Sponsored

black1985gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT premium
My black '15 is the same way. It's going to a local detail shop Monday to be buffed. Polishing will never get rid of those marks, it will just make them less noticeable. They quoted me $300 to do the whole car. I may also be looking into a ceramic coating to offer a bit more protection for the soft/thin factory paint and clear.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
This is surprising to hear. I never had swirl issues before on my cars using the 2 bucket method, and always had very dark colors. Every now and then I would get a random small 'scratch', but never a swirl mark. Polishing it myself once a year at most was all I needed to keep it looking brand new. Is the paint on these cars really THAT soft? Sounds like a clear film will be needed then.

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Yes it is. I have been detailing for 10 years and all my personal cars have been black. If u wipe a microfiber across this paint it makes marks
Sponsored