Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
So I've been thinking a lot about a bigger turbo lately, maybe going with a full-race kit or a kit from MAP, but I want to leave the stock exhaust in place for that sleeper effect. I know i would have to use the downpipe for the bigger turbo so that can't be changed, but i wanted to leave the catback stock. Would i be losing HP by not doing so or choking the turbo or should i change it to a new one?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Hook up a leaf blower to a straw and see what happens.

What you are saying will work but there will be power left on the table.

OP
OP
Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Hook up a leaf blower to a straw and see what happens.

What you are saying will work but there will be power left on the table.
Alright thanks, ill keep that in mind.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
If you want to keep the stock exhaust, but get the flow needed for a bigger turbo, then get a boost actuated cut-out. Loudvalves.com sales them and they produce some very nice pieces. People have done this for years in the DSM/Evo scene and even with a lot of muscle cars. Set the cutout to open at whatever boost pressure you want and then you'll have your cake and eat it too! It'll be stock quiet until you hit your desired boost pressure then she'll sing, lol.

Now, understand that it'll be loud when the valve is open, but you could set the valve for 15 psi or so and it would probably never open under normal driving. Even though I already have a pretty quiet exhaust, I've considered doing this over and over again just to have the open flow. And if you didn't want it to be so loud when the valve opens, your muffler shop could always fab up a small bullet size muffler/resonator after the valve to cut the volume back a bit.

Here's a pic to show you kind of what I'm talking about. They've got it angled straight out the side, but you could always run a single pipe adjacent to the stock exhaust with a muffler/resonator added on.

Last edited:

illeagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium/PP
I am running the VS2 turbo with MAP catless downpipe and stock exhaust. I just haven't heard an exhaust that I like and honestly enjoy having a quite car.

Sponsored

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Had I kept my ecoboost, an external wastegate plumbed into the exhaust system and dumped to the air was going to be on my car. Done that way, it's called a "screamer pipe".

Mustang Mikes Queen Creek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Do you have any sound clips with the offroad dp and stock exhaust,Im not a fan of anything i have heard yet regarding exhaust sytems,sounds to ricey and cheap,a nice howl or drone would be plenty fine by me.

illeagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium/PP
Do you have any slund clips with the offroad dp and stock exhaust,Im not a fan of anything i have heard yet regarding exhaust sytems,sounds to ricey.
I do not. On the stock turbo all you can hear is the turbo spooling. With the VS2, it has a deeper engine tone in the lower RPM range and you hear the turbo up top. I really don't want to change the sound over how it is. It is quiet like stock on the highway or interstate and has a very very little growl when WOT.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Ive seen factory adder coyotes go 650ish to the tires on factory exhaust systems,I cant imangine ford didnt give us a more then good enough system,Give me whistle and nothing more!!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Def keep you posted I waiting until the summer is over before testing,The wg actualtor came in,cobb v3,Dp,and aem dry panel,trying to find out a little more about the trendstone intercooler,Ive used them in the past for basic blower and turbo pushrod stuff,Not a fan of any of their hotside 304 junk,but the intercoolers always seemed to fair pretty well.900 cfm 600 to 700hp support,etc etc,so far the cars been averaging a true 27mpg between local and highway driving,no resets from the past fill up,If bet she would do 32 34 on a long open highway road trip,pretty descent I think.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Maybe,not sure if Ford implemented flow through turbo mufflers stock for the ecoboost,I would tend to think they did,Coyotes may have back pressure channel style mufflers,Something off an s550 v8 could probably be grafted together,interesting.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Maybe,not sure if Ford implemented flow through turbo mufflers stock for the ecoboost,I would tend to think they did,Coyotes may have back pressure channel style mufflers,Something off an s550 v8 could probably be grafted together,interesting.
Look at the 3rd picture in this post. All of the exhaust has to exit through those tiny holes (steel mesh).

I've seen people hack the factory GT mufflers on previous years (mufflers are of a similar design) with decent results. I actually suggested to a friend today that he should open the factory mufflers, cut off the steel U-shaped tube, weld the one tube opening back up, and leave the new opening in front of the exhaust tip exit open. I'd really like to hear it. I like the sound of the factory mufflers, but I just wish that they flowed better.

Edit: I just made this for a visual as to what I'm speaking of doing.

picture.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: