Sponsored

Best way to launch in a stock PP Manual?

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP, 1994 GT 'Vert
I have a 2015 GT PP Manual that I plan on bringing to the track this weekend. I've been to the strip a hundred times before in my 1994 Mustang, but due to the newer computers and such, I'm a little confused on how I should leave the line.

Should I use launch control? Track mode? Traction control on? Off? Fully off? :shrug:

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :hail:
Sponsored

GSLSE20B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 SHADOW BLACK GTPP
Traction control off 20-23 psi in the rear tires . Leave around 3k slipping the clutch a little on the launch .

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Drive to your nearest Ford dealer and trade in for an auto then from there go to the strip and just hit the gas pedal and hold on. :)

OP
OP

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP, 1994 GT 'Vert
Traction control off 20-23 psi in the rear tires . Leave around 3k slipping the clutch a little on the launch .
When you say "off" do you mean just push the switch once and turn it off, or hold the switch and turn advance trac off as well?

Sponsored

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I have a 2015 GT PP Manual that I plan on bringing to the track this weekend. I've been to the strip a hundred times before in my 1994 Mustang, but due to the newer computers and such, I'm a little confused on how I should leave the line.

Should I use launch control? Track mode? Traction control on? Off? Fully off? :shrug:

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :hail:
The best way to launch a car on street tires is: go around the water, short spin of the tires to clean the tires, leave the line like you are leaving a regular traffic light but slightly more aggressive. I was able to cut 1.7 and 1.8 60's on street tires with my manual 12' 3.73 car.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Did some testing today.
I set track mode deactivated advance trac mode.
Set Launch control and i set rpms to 4500rpm
Dumped the clutch and the car hooked pretty well on the street. I would say that with drag radials this car could launch higher but the rpms using LC dont go further up then 4500rpm. Would need to shut off LC.

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Did some testing today.
I set track mode deactivated advance trac mode.
Set Launch control and i set rpms to 4500rpm
Dumped the clutch and the car hooked pretty well on the street. I would say that with drag radials this car could launch higher but the rpms using LC dont go further up then 4500rpm. Would need to shut off LC.
You are likely to break a half shaft if you tried that at the track.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
So I took my car to the track a while ago. Stock except for Delrin cradle bushings and billet verticle links. I dont worry much about going around the water box, I concentrate on lining up in the groove, the darkest tire spots on the starting line. I go through the box then spin the tires enough to dry them off. I did not use the line lock just spun them a bit. As the track got sticky through the night I started getting wheel hop doing that. I would shut it down quick. I used launch control at 2500 3000 and 3500. I border line side stepped the clutch each time, I could not dump it in good conscience. First time I got massive wheel hop and just let off. The second launch the car shut down after the launch, not sure why. 3rd launch at 3000 got out ok but hopped and I backed out it netted a 2.2 60 foot. Last pass I aired down to 22 psi set the LC to 3500. When I launched it hooked, for a brief second I was like hell ya, then the motor free reved and the front dropped, and it would not go anywhere. Snapped the drivers side halfshaft. If I go to the strip again I will probably just leave without launch control, like leaving from a stop sign with enthusiasm.

Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
So I took my car to the track a while ago. Stock except for Delrin cradle bushings and billet verticle links. I dont worry much about going around the water box, I concentrate on lining up in the groove, the darkest tire spots on the starting line. I go through the box then spin the tires enough to dry them off. I did not use the line lock just spun them a bit. As the track got sticky through the night I started getting wheel hop doing that. I would shut it down quick. I used launch control at 2500 3000 and 3500. I border line side stepped the clutch each time, I could not dump it in good conscience. First time I got massive wheel hop and just let off. The second launch the car shut down after the launch, not sure why. 3rd launch at 3000 got out ok but hopped and I backed out it netted a 2.2 60 foot. Last pass I aired down to 22 psi set the LC to 3500. When I launched it hooked, for a brief second I was like hell ya, then the motor free reved and the front dropped, and it would not go anywhere. Snapped the drivers side halfshaft. If I go to the strip again I will probably just leave without launch control, like leaving from a stop sign with enthusiasm.
The problem is that tracks are sticky if you dump the clutch and dont get enough wheel spin your gonna break something tires need to get loose so that you dont break nothing but not good for times.

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
I could never get anything decent out of mine stock due to Clutch Protection kicking in. DAVECS1 described it in his 2nd run. Come out of the hole clean and it just sits there like your in limp mode for a second. I was getting it after the 1-2 shift as well. Best thing you can do is like described earlier, go easy on the launch like your at a stop light and want to get ahead of the guy next to you before the lanes merge, then shift 1-2 around 6500 rpm to try and keep wheel spin down after the shift then shift the rest around 6800 rpm or so. Main reason I went with the SCT tuner as quick as I did was to shut off the stupid clutch protection but I got it the week the track shut down and didnt get a chance at redemption lol

Matt
Sponsored