Sponsored

Best way to evaluate pricing for used GT350R

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
sure. but the OP isn't buying a 2016R, he's buying an 'R' and year doesn't matter. It's just that he's got an example from 2016 handy. From a valuation perspective he's probably better served to find a '18+ with more miles which should be closer to the correct slope and as he's already observed. So he posed to question as "what is up with this 16's price?"

Irrational valuations show up in all kinds of places and are typically short-lived. If OP wants to bet on being able to get out of his purchase in the future and not suffer mean-reversion in the meantime, he's welcome to try. I wouldn't take that bet. And I absolutely wouldn't take that bet on a '16 being offered at that price.
Right, but the MSRP of the R also continued to rise as the years went on. I agree that more miles on a used car tends to give a lower price. When I was looking at Boss 302s I noticed that cars with really low miles were priced insanely high. So it depends on what you want and what you are going to do with it once you buy. I agree with you as far as buying a used car with more miles in order to save money. 10,000 miles vs. 1,000 miles doesn't make a lot of difference in the condition of a car, but it can make a big difference in the cost to buy.

One other thing, pointing out that the miles are low doesn't strengthen your original statement that the car is over-priced. It's common that low mileage used cars have higher prices.

I'm not arguing whether the price is rational or not. I have no idea. But if you are considering a GT vs a GT350R, the depreciation of the GT is going to be a lot steeper. And you may lose less money on an R just because of that advantage. Obviously the OP will save a LOT of money since he's buying used instead of new. Some people buy brand new GTs and they get hit really hard with depreciation. I've done it before and it stung.
Sponsored