Sponsored

Best Clutch for HPDE and Open track days?

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I put in a Mcleod RST and lightened steel flywheel in 2019 and have already roasted it. It lasted ~6000 miles including 10 track days. It's possible I had some air in the clutch line. I was bleeding the brakes between every track day but not draining and re-bleeding the clutch line. I've been using TYP200 fluid.

I just put in an RXT and aluminum flywheel after calling Mcleod and learning the RST is NOT RECOMMENDED for Track use. Apparently, it can't handle the heat. I'm curious what all you track rats think is the best clutch for track days?

RST_IMG_6927.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Exedy Hyper Single. If it was good enough for Pirelli World Challenge and IMSA GS cars, it's great for DE

YES...I have one installed in my car and though I don't daily it, it sees a lot of street duty.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Exedy doesn't make a clutch for the mt82 d4. I went with a mantic and regretted it. I think if I had to do it again I'd go with a centerforce clutch, the only reason I didn't in the first place is because centerforce was a month out from being able to ship me one and I didn't want to wait. Mantic was available although I wasn't able to downshift like most people who install one on the 18 and up d4's

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Exedy Mach 500 with their grooved pressure plate and lightened flywheel has been great on my car. It has perfect street manners which is nice.

I think the hyper single would be next step up if the car isn't a daily.

Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I've said it on here several times that the RST is no good for track use and people all say "you can't drive a standard". PFFF, what ever. Excedy Mach 500 with lightened billet steel flywheel and haven't looked back. I've beat the crap out of the clutch on the track and zero issues.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Stock clutch is crap in the 15-17. Mine lost it at a high RPM shift at only 20k KMS on it. At that point of the clutch's life, it had no track days and only spirited street use. I didn't even do any hard burnouts, didn't want to roast my tires.
Well actually it had one lap on a track, at its first ever event. It blew and my day was done.

My Mach 500 clutch has had many track days with zero issues.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I put in a Mcleod RST and lightened steel flywheel in 2019 and have already roasted it. It lasted ~6000 miles including 10 track days. It's possible I had some air in the clutch line. I was bleeding the brakes between every track day but not draining and re-bleeding the clutch line. I've been using TYP200 fluid.

I just put in an RXT and aluminum flywheel after calling Mcleod and learning the RST is NOT RECOMMENDED for Track use. Apparently, it can't handle the heat. I'm curious what all you track rats think is the best clutch for track days?

RST_IMG_6927.jpg
Stock. I spoke to all the techs at McLeod, and they kept pushing me towards their street edition, and I had to explain a few times that I'm not racing on the highway, I'm racing on the race track. I had spoken with Mantec and they didn't inspire much confidence either, and I've seen a few threads about the guy who essentially did the QA for them, taking it in and out 4 times. Exedy didn't have anything last I spoke, but given the cost of these setups, I'd put $2500 into cams or something else.

The twin disc and dual mass seem to do just fine, and I'm revving the poop out of mine, powershifting at 7200-7500. I wish there was more support for it, but with the Mach1 getting the TR-3160, the MT82-D4 is going to be a short run thing that isn't likely taken serious by the aftermarket since all serious racing customers would (and should?) move up to the TR-3160. Going by the number of people who'd go for something like this, their R&D cost/time, and the demand for this supply, I doubt we'll see much coming our way. Not the news you (or I) want to hear, but it's the reality. All the others will pretty much want you to go to the 15-17 setup including the slave cylinder, and at the end of the day, I don't think we're gaining much.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
EXEDY Hyper Single over here. no complaints

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
EXEDY Hyper Single over here. no complaints
did your issue with the clutch pedal got resolved. I have an issue with very hard to press clutch pedal. I have a feeling is the clutch so plan to go to Exedy 500 and flywheel in winter but in mean time I have 2 more events and wonder if it's something else as I don't have troubles getting into gear. Only very hard clutch pedal.
Sponsored