Sponsored

Best bullet resonator to keep close to current volume and add sound quality at higher rpm?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tae
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hello I have a 2016 mustang GT with Kooks long tubes(catted), a Roush h pipe, and flowmaster outlaws out the back, I’m love the volume and the way it sounds down low at idle and up to 3.5K rpm but after 4K rpm to WOT it sounds a bit raspy or like a hollow tin, I’ve been looking at different ways to get this car to sound like my old 2006 mustang GT that was straight piped with no luck, so after asking a lot of questions and talking to my shop they said that maybe the best next option would be to add a resonator just after the h pipe to add some sound quality to that higher rpm range but that it may take that lower end sound range with it, so I’m asking for suggestions which race bullet resonator or muffler would be the best for retaining close to the volume your system currently has but also help with the sound quality in the upper rpms? I’ve been looking at dynomax race bullets, slp loudmouths, and the race bullet minis as possible options. I also have a magnaflow competition axleback that I just took off that might be an option of putting back on instead of the outlaw system but I’m afraid it’ll be back to too quiet for my liking. So many decisions lol so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
That hollow, chambered sound is characteristic of flowmasters, I doubt a resonator will have much affect on it at the rpm you mentioned. Bullet resonators have a perforated core that allows sound material to affect tone and volume at lower rpms, however, as exhaust pressure and speed increase with rpms, they have less affect as the pressure inside the resonator creates a wall of air over the perforations, allowing exhaust gas to flow more quickly through the tube. So it's very likely a resonator will change the tone at lower rpm that you want to keep but do little or nothing at higher rpms.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tae
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
That hollow, chambered sound is characteristic of flowmasters, I doubt a resonator will have much affect on it at the rpm you mentioned. Bullet resonators have a perforated core that allows sound material to affect tone and volume at lower rpms, however, as exhaust pressure and speed increase with rpms, they have less affect as the pressure inside the resonator creates a wall of air over the perforations, allowing exhaust gas to flow more quickly through the tube. So it's very likely a resonator will change the tone at lower rpm that you want to keep but do little or nothing at higher rpms.
so what do you suggest?

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
First thing is you have to realize the coyote is a completely different beast than 3V 4.6 you had before, so trying to get the same sound out of it just isn't going to happen.
2nd, Ditch the flowmasters in favor of a non-chambered muffler design. You could listen to some sound clips to get an idea of which brands have a sound you like.
Sponsored