Sponsored

Be on the lookout - Stolen GT 350 wheels Atlanta

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This is awesome to hear, AND good information for fellow owners that you can verify ownership via TPMS. That being said, can a would-be-thief somehow clear the TPMS data if they were smart enough to do so/had the equipment?
Sponsored

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
This is awesome to hear, AND good information for fellow owners that you can verify ownership via TPMS. That being said, can a would-be-thief somehow clear the TPMS data if they were smart enough to do so/had the equipment?
It was etched codes on the TPMS sensors themselves (physical, not data) that he had to look at so he had to take the tire off each rim. That's my understanding of what he did, but I could be wrong. Owner manages tire shops (that certainly most of you have heard of) or is like some kind of district manager I can't remember what his job is specifically. But anyway he knows wheels and tires...

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
Technically they go by what they were for sale for: $1,700. Not actual retail value.
That makes no sense. If I steal a car and sell it to my buddy for a dollar is it now just petty theft?

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That makes no sense. If I steal a car and sell it to my buddy for a dollar is it now just petty theft?
Agreed. I would push for OEM value of the wheels, I'm sure that's what the insurance company would have had to purchase them for.

Sponsored

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't know, honestly. There is no "verifiable" resale value for used GT 350 rims, though, so the cops will just go by the $1,700. But I'm happy to be wrong. I just don't put much faith in cops sticking it to this guy like he deserves... not these days.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I don't know, honestly. There is no "verifiable" resale value for used GT 350 rims, though, so the cops will just go by the $1,700. But I'm happy to be wrong. I just don't put much faith in cops sticking it to this guy like he deserves... not these days.
There is a verifiable replacement value however. Any dealer can print out a quote for what the wheels + tires + TPMS would cost.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Okay here's some words from the owner regarding using TPMS to identify wheels:

To identify your rims (Ford dealers may tell you it can't be done... most around here did!): Take a scan tool to the cars computer and read the stored sensor numbers (VERUS EDGE picture....most likely your scan tool will convert the TPMS hexadecimal value to a decimal value) meaning scan tool will just show numbers and when you convert it to hexadecimal it will give the numbers and letters on the back of your Tpms (asic# on bottom of TPMS SENSOR picture). Since TPMS IDs are like fingerprints for the car to register air pressure it is a sold verification.

Hexidecimal to decimal converter: http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/hex-to-decimal-converter
12963757_1592450604405752_517560480814042353_n.jpg
12993323_1592450611072418_2046868112772603443_n.jpg

andrew.k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Fastback, Magnetic, 051A, MT, 3.55
Best of luck getting them back. Expose the bastard!

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
would the thief be liable for damages to the car? My motorcycles got stolen a couple years ago there is nothing I hate more than a thief. My bike was 2 months old off the lot and they gave me 3 grand less than I paid for it on insurance. nothing like making payments on a vehicle thats long gone

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If you look on ford and michelin's web page you can find the value of the wheels and tires no problem. That is how the value would be determined.

You have to understand how the criminal justice system works. Without direct evidence to identify the person who committed the theft a warrant request with all the other evidence obtained has to be submitted to a judge. The judge will approve or deny it. If it is granted and an arrest is made the suspect will be arrested, booked, and given a court date. At that point it is up to the judge and attorneys to argue and decide punishment. It wouldn't be up to the police to decide punishment. It sounds like the police officers did an excellent job of doing the Initial investigation, making your friend whole, and getting back his property. If that doesn't restore your faith I don't know what will.

What you have here after all the emotion is removed is a property crime. The justice system doesn't hand out the same level of punishment for crimes against property when compared to crimes against a person.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
would the thief be liable for damages to the car? My motorcycles got stolen a couple years ago there is nothing I hate more than a thief. My bike was 2 months old off the lot and they gave me 3 grand less than I paid for it on insurance. nothing like making payments on a vehicle thats long gone
If proven guilty you can sue them, I'm sure.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Yes, I would think so. The tricky part might be connecting the seller (who I'm assuming is the one on the warrant) as being the actual thief. Not sure how all of that works but him selling the wheels doesn't necessarily prove that he was the one who physically stole them.

However, there is of course, the receiving of stolen property which is a crime in and of itself. My guess would be that the cops will try to get him to either admit to the actual theft or to roll over on whoever was the actual thief. Either way he's F'd tho...hopefully!

As for going after them for the damage to the car, I guess that would depend on whether the OP's friend filed an insurance claim to fix everything. If he did, then I would think it would be the insurance company that would have to handle a lawsuit against them. If he did not involve the insurance company (now that the wheels are recovered, maybe he didn't need to?) then I would think it would be on him to sue them directly.

Regardless, I'm glad that this story seems to be concluding with a happier ending than a Disney movie!

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Eye for an eye and then some is always the best policy.
I really like this mantra...

Bas Rutten said:
I don't believe in an eye for an eye. I believe in TWO eyes for an eye.
I hate thieves. I've been a victim and I know that feeling of violation. Hopefully the wheels turn up and there wasn't much further damage to the car from being placed on rocks.

2015R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350R
Had a set of wheels stolen off my Lexus ISF a few years back. Morons left behind a bottle jack with a service tag on it. I called the service shop, got the ID of the owner and it turned out his kids did the deed. Had the wheels and tires back on the car by noon the next day.
Sponsored