Battery corrosion

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
So car wouldn't start today. Not my daily driver but had it out this past Saturday and it started, was a little weak starting but figured was again had been sitting a couple days (a week maybe). Anyhow, pulled the battery tender out to give it some charge over night tonight and this is what I see on the positive terminal of the battery. From other cars in the past, I'm used to seeing a little something on there but this seems a little excessive.
20170613_172940.jpg
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Lord. I need to check mine.
I usually put one of those discs under the terminals to keep that from happening.

BigEasyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Funny that you post this thread this week, I also had my 2015 not start on me the other day. Checked my positive terminal and everything was covered in a blue buildup. I'm used to the white crap, but whatever. Cleaned it with some baking soda and a wire brush, running to auto zone for those pads later today and I'm going to slather the terminal in petroleum jelly to keep it from leaking anymore.

Sponsored

BigDinTexas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
Checked my positive terminal and everything was covered in a blue buildup. I'm used to the white crap, but whatever. Cleaned it with some baking soda and a wire brush, running to auto zone for those pads later today and I'm going to slather the terminal in petroleum jelly to keep it from leaking anymore.
The blue is probably the copper from the connector corroding off and depositing the copper within the buildup... I had the same on mine, but it was after 4 years of use, not as quickly as yours did...

Don

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
A baking soda solution should neutralize the battery acid that has come up.

I had a simikar issue in my old mustang. The cellenoids in the alternator woukd get stuck open and overcharge the battery. Check for this as well. I would smells in the car but every time i popped the lid to look it was ok. One day on the way to the hospital it wouldnt start and it was covered like that. Even with the pads and spray.

Never had luck with ford alternators in multiple cars. The replacement lasted a year before it died and i just go home out of brooklyn. It wqs within warranty so it was just a work time issue.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
When i installed my redline hood struts i had to remove the battery cover. It was then i sprayed my battery posts with battery post protectant. So far so good.

OP
OP
Olivas

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Ended up taking battery tray out and all to clean it up. Took it in to dealer to have them look at it as well. While the positive terminal still looks like a$$, they said it all checks fine (was hoping they'd actually replace the terminal itself).

Picked up some of the pads and protectant spray myself on the way home. Will have to monitor and make sure doesn't get worse / happen again.
20170616_071319.jpg
Sponsored