Sponsored

basic mustang tools

Randy954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Pp
Im looking to buy some tools this week and i was wondering if anyone can recommend what tools i will most commonly use working on my 2016 mustang GT. Ill be doing body mods, interior mods and lastly some engine mods. So if someone can steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. :headbang:
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
How much money you looking to spend? And what do you already have?

If you don't already have a ratchet/socket set, pick that up. You should be able to find a complete "mechanics kit" which would have most everything you'd need. Get one of each ratchets (1/4, 3/8, 1/2), and metric deep sockets. Don't worry about buying shallow sockets unless you specifically need them for clearance purposes. Also make sure to get a set of extensions, and also torx and hex sockets.

That's the bare minimum. Get a 1/2 breaker bar for suspension and tire work. A low profile jack for lifting (if you don't have one)and jack stands. A set of ratcheting wrenches can be nice too. Trim removal tools are a must... they have metal "panel poppers" that are good for removing those nylon rivets/tree plugs, and there's plastic body panel tools that make pulling off interior trim much easier.

Honestly, that's about 95% of what you'd need. Anything else pick up when you need it.

If you have a local harbor freight nearby, you can pick up the majority of the stuff for cheap. If not, I like buying tekton stuff off of amazon as well. There's no need to spend big bucks on quality tools first if you don't have the tools to begin with.

Edit:
If you want an all in 1 socket kit, this craftsman set for ~$90 is hard to beat:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-230-...sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Trim Removal Tool Set
1/2" Drive Torque Wrench
3/8" Drive Torque Wrench
Jack
Jackstands
1/2" socket set
3/8" socket set
1/4 socket set
safety glasses
oil drain pan
red/blue threadlocker
LED work light
LED headlight (the one you wear on your forehead)

OP
OP

Randy954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Pp
Thanks for all the suggestions. I had a snapon box and a whole bunch of snap on, matco, mac, etc tools about a year ago but i had to sell them all because of my on the job injury. I figured i was done working on cars because of limited movement of a couple fingers. But what a mistake that was. Anyway i figured im going to be off work for a while and what better to do at the house then tinker on the mustang lol.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I picked up the 130 dollar kit from harbor freight. The biggest thing you'll find with late model cars is the use of half metric sizes (5.5 and 6.5) which can be a bitch to find when you need it. I keep the big kit with me in the car as it suffices to do most any sort of repair I could ever need outside of using my fully equipped shop.

The kit has short and deep metric/SAE sizes. It also has 12 pt and 6 pt (very important you'll find), that come in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive sized sockets, ratchets, and extensions. It was well worth the money. It'll do for most any small to mid sized job.
Sponsored