Sponsored

Bad gas ?

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
alright so help me out here with my situation. I put 25 bucks of 93 octane in my car 2 days ago. I’ve used this gas station many times before and never had any issues. Drove the car into work perfect this morning. When I went out and fired it, horrible idle, shaking, AFR trying to stable but kinda all over. Just weird that it happened after running strong this morning. I did notice a couple puffs of thin white smoke too but they arent consistently coming out. Did a quick check for vacuum leaks around the blower but didn’t get too crazy as I don’t have time to mess with it tonight. I did try disconnecting the battery then reflashing just to rule that out real quick. Just looking for a few pointers where to start.

Edit: I have no CEL and it did rain super hard on the car for 20 minutes. Not that it should be related but just throwing it out there.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Maybe it’s not gas related?

OP
OP

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
I'm really starting to think it is the MAF. My car only acts funny when it rains hard...it's gotta be rain coming through the heat extractors and effecting the sensor because as soon as everything dries up, car is 100% fine.

Sponsored

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@cdq85

Get a waterproof sleeve cover for your air cone filter?

SamB11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m intrigued, my car has also been throwing CEL after washing it. P0300 to be exact. Is water leaking down my heat extractors?? Thanks

OP
OP

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
I’m intrigued, my car has also been throwing CEL after washing it. P0300 to be exact. Is water leaking down my heat extractors?? Thanks
My car is fine through car washes, both touchless and the ones with the wand. It only happens on crazy ass downpour type rainstorms. It's definitely water related though because I have stopped driving it in the rain and it has been perfect since. MAF is going to get ordered and I'm gonna try it in the rain again . I'll let you know my results.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@cdq85

If the car doesn't or hasn't had a problem since you haven't driven it in the rain then your maf is fine. If water is getting in the filter just buy a waterproof filter cover. I have one and have not had a single problem.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Whats the setup OP? Helps to know the setup. Otherwise we can throw spitballs at the wall all night long and never get one to stick. Helps to know if you are modified (and the setup) or completely stock. As for vacuum look at the gauges setting and see what the vacuum reads at idle. How many miles are on the car? What octane do you run in it?

BTW BamB11 P0300 is a general misfire code. However hydrolock or coming close to it could be an issue if the intake is an after market open element type. JLT provides a foam insert to place in the extractor to minimize this from happening. Taking the time to dry out the water than may have puddled under the filter if running an open element intake assembly wold be a benefit. I never leave without drying even the tiniest puddle of water out down under the CAI filter before driving it. Again not knowing your set or the OP's we're just wizzing in the wind guessing.

Sponsored
OP
OP

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
Whats the setup OP? Helps to know the setup. Otherwise we can throw spitballs at the wall all night long and never get one to stick. Helps to know if you are modified (and the setup) or completely stock. As for vacuum look at the gauges setting and see what the vacuum reads at idle. How many miles are on the car? What octane do you run in it?

BTW BamB11 P0300 is a general misfire code. However hydrolock or coming close to it could be an issue if the intake is an after market open element type. JLT provides a foam insert to place in the extractor to minimize this from happening. Taking the time to dry out the water than may have puddled under the filter if running an open element intake assembly wold be a benefit. I never leave without drying even the tiniest puddle of water out down under the CAI filter before driving it. Again not knowing your set or the OP's we're just wizzing in the wind guessing.
Sorry, should have clarified. Roush phase 2 with VMP tune so nothing crazy. It does have the open air box so maybe that is the issue after all. I try not to drive a ton in the rain so that makes it tough to narrow down.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Sorry, should have clarified. Roush phase 2 with VMP tune so nothing crazy. It does have the open air box so maybe that is the issue after all. I try not to drive a ton in the rain so that makes it tough to narrow down.
Only helps others help you without leading you on a wild goose chase. Your JLT CAI (guessing that is the one you got from VMP) should have come with an insert to place int he heat extractor on the drivers side. It is made of foam and looks sort of like a large check mark. You need to put that in the extractor and it should help. If not, for fun use some tape of something to plug the extractor with and see if that helps the issue any. Second make sure before driving off after washing it that there is no water residing under the air filter. Dry out any that may be present.

See if this helps. If it does not then at least one possible resolve has been eliminated and you can move on to other potential causes.
Sponsored