Backup Sensor Reset?

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
Just got a 2019 Mustang GT. One week old. One issue popped up today with a backup sensor seeming to be stuck thinking there is something there that isn't there. I thought maybe after I turned off the car and back on it might reset, but apparently not. I also tried turning off what I believe must be the cross traffic alert and that worked for a little bit, but then it came back with it turned off even.

Is there a way to reset the system somehow or do I just possibly have a new car gremlin that the dealer will have to sort out? I realize it has a warranty to cover this sort of thing, but I'm hoping that this isn't something I might expect to deal with as soon as the bumper to bumper coverage expires. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that. I appreciate any ideas on how to reset it if that is possible. It might be a faulty sensor.
Sponsored

Laserbrain

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
How did this turn out?
Did you find a way to reset it?

Mine did the same thing today. Everything was fine when I backed out of the garage.
When I arrived at my destination, the trunk release button (above the license plate) didn't work. When I backed up to leave, one of the sensors was stuck on, showing red on the display.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You can reset the module that controls those sensors, which I assume is the BCM (body control module)... but did you check the connector and wiring first? If the issue remains after all of that, then it'd be a defective sensor, most likely.

If you decide to use FORScan, wait for confirmation that the BCM is the correct module. And in the mean time, you can download it, and buy the interface cable (I paid $15 shipped for mine, so they're cheap). You'll also be able to make other convenience changes like quieting door/start chimes, adding heated/cooled seats to the home screen, changing themes and animations, etc.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How did this turn out?
Did you find a way to reset it?

Mine did the same thing today. Everything was fine when I backed out of the garage.
When I arrived at my destination, the trunk release button (above the license plate) didn't work. When I backed up to leave, one of the sensors was stuck on, showing red on the display.
Sounds like an issue with the wiring harness for the trunk, I'd check that first.
Sponsored