Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Anyone seen or done one?

I've been busy restoring/refreshing an 89 944 S2, and I want to give the Bullitt some love. As the car has been modified as far as I want to go (other than swapping out the front fenders with GT350 Fenders and MACH 1 Front Clip, which is big $$$$), I walked past the Bullitt the other day (sitting in the snow) and thought "How cool would it be if the Bullitt Trunk Lid Badge was illuminated.

Don't be a hater on the 944, I rescued the car and got it from a family friend. He bought it in 1990 and it was his baby till 2013 when he got too old and ill to drive. I bought it from him at a great price with the promise to restore it and take him for a ride next summer. I am on track to make that happen. I've never been interested in the front engine P cars, and have never driven, ridden or even sat in a 944 before this. I still havent driven it. Just finished a mechanical refresh and waiting on a few parts (and the temps to climb) before I venture out. Car was cosmetically near perfect, but neglected mechanically from sitting for over 10 years. Can't wait to see the 90 year old prior owner smile. I just hope we can get him in and out of the car.

It won't have the power or refinement of the Bullitt, but I am looking forward to the Analog 80's Porsche experience.

IMG_20240101_175828560.jpg
IMG_20240101_175803626.jpg
IMG_20240112_151924600_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240112_151905127.jpg
IMG_20240112_151849558.jpg
Sponsored

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Anyone seen or done one?

I've been busy restoring/refreshing an 89 944 S2, and I want to give the Bullitt some love. As the car has been modified as far as I want to go (other than swapping out the front fenders with GT350 Fenders and MACH 1 Front Clip, which is big $$$$), I walked past the Bullitt the other day (sitting in the snow) and thought "How cool would it be if the Bullitt Trunk Lid Badge was illuminated.

Don't be a hater on the 944, I rescued the car and got it from a family friend. He bought it in 1990 and it was his baby till 2013 when he got too old and ill to drive. I bought it from him at a great price with the promise to restore it and take him for a ride next summer. I am on track to make that happen. I've never been interested in the front engine P cars, and have never driven, ridden or even sat in a 944 before this. I still havent driven it. Just finished a mechanical refresh and waiting on a few parts (and the temps to climb) before I venture out. Car was cosmetically near perfect, but neglected mechanically from sitting for over 10 years. Can't wait to see the 90 year old prior owner smile. I just hope we can get him in and out of the car.

It won't have the power or refinement of the Bullitt, but I am looking forward to the Analog 80's Porsche experience.

IMG_20240101_175828560.jpg
IMG_20240101_175803626.jpg
IMG_20240112_151924600_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240112_151905127.jpg
IMG_20240112_151849558.jpg
That’s a nice example, for sure. I have had several newer P cars and also have never driven a front engine one. I’ve thought about buying a 944S, I’ve always liked the looks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What’s the price range of those 944S’s today? Years ago they were like a throw away Porsches, much the same as the Camaro IROC-Z and Mustangs of the same period. They could be picked up dirt cheap back then.

Nice Porsche..

—-

As for the backlit rear deck on Mustang - it would be cool to have one. I’m sure someone can make one off a 3D printer and incorporate any wording and LED backlighting into it.

There is a Company that started making the backlit S550 front grill Horse as well as the “GT” emblem on the rear deck lid. I can’t recall their name, but quite a few M6G members were buying those. Not sure if the durability of if they’re still making them or not.

OP
OP
Bulldog9

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
What’s the price range of those 944S’s today? Years ago they were like a throw away Porsches, much the same as the Camaro IROC-Z and Mustangs of the same period. They could be picked up dirt cheap back then.

Nice Porsche..

—-

As for the backlit rear deck on Mustang - it would be cool to have one. I’m sure someone can make one off a 3D printer and incorporate any wording and LED backlighting into it.

There is a Company that started making the backlit S550 front grill Horse as well as the “GT” emblem on the rear deck lid. I can’t recall their name, but quite a few M6G members were buying those. Not sure if the durability of if they’re still making them or not.
They are still somewhat throwaways, but are starting to climb in price and value. I got this from a family friend. Never really interested in these because other than a few pristine cars (mostly Turbos) they were ratty. You can find 944's all over the place from $500 to $5000. Low mileage cars in pristine condition like this are going from anywhere between $20-40K.

I wasn't really interested until I did some digging. Evidently the S2 was the sweet spot in the lineup. 3 liter motor (200hp) with the 951 (Turbo) Bodywork, suspension, transmission and transaxle, and brakes which were from the 911S. Almost as much power as the Turbo, but more reliable, less complex.

I WAS looking for an open top car, a 911 Targa, Vette, Mustang. Whatever it was had to be over 25 years old. When I discovered that the 944 is technically considered a Targa and that the 'sunroof' panel comes off, I got more interested. It is in fantastic condition and I am putting in OEM and Porsche Parts, with NO modifications. That is where the $$ is.

In the end I really took a liking to the old guy I bought it from. He was meticulous in keeping it clean and maintained, then 10 years ago he got sick and hadn't been able to drive it the last 10 years. It was his baby, and I really want to take him for a ride in it next summer. I figure I will keep it 4-5 years and watch the market. That is unless I really like it.
Sponsored