LokiS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone had positive or negative feelings after fitting uprated anti roll bars front and back. Thinking about fitting them in my endless list of mods. Any input would be great, cheers.
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I have a set of Steeda bars on mine. What I like about after market bars is the ability to tune them. So if you do get a set get a set that is adjustable so you can adjust to your liking.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I keep coming back to these myself. Are they worth doing on standard shocks and springs? Only suspension mods I have is bmr cradle lockout, steeda centering sleeves and a 2 point front bmr brace. I thought they actually made grip worse unless you had better shocks. With black Friday coming up I was tempted get front and rear bmr ones. I hate how much the car lurches on roundabouts etc

OP
OP
LokiS550

LokiS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I know what your saying, i have eibach springs with standard shocks. Very happy with ride so was thinking the anti roll bars would tighten it up a bit. You mention black Friday, where were looking to buy them if you don't mind me asking?

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Anyone had positive or negative feelings after fitting uprated anti roll bars front and back. Thinking about fitting them in my endless list of mods. Any input would be great, cheers.
What are you trying to achieve ? There is always a compromise when you make any changes so stiffer ARB's will have downsides as well. The main downside is lateral motion causing 'head toss' for passengers which can be very unpleasant.

OP
OP
LokiS550

LokiS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
What are you trying to achieve ? There is always a compromise when you make any changes so stiffer ARB's will have downsides as well. The main downside is lateral motion causing 'head toss' for passengers which can be very unpleasant.
Interesting, didn't think about the lateral movement being that harsh. I am basically wanting less wallow, i thought with just uprated ARBs i could solve it, only for spirited driving, not track use. Thank you for input, appreciated.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I always Use Nemesis and bmr usually have 15 percent off via them on on black Friday

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, didn't think about the lateral movement being that harsh. I am basically wanting less wallow, i thought with just uprated ARBs i could solve it, only for spirited driving, not track use. Thank you for input, appreciated.
There will be people on here who can give good advice, but always beware anybody that gives advice without asking what you want to achieve first. A good road setup is very different to a track setup, which is different again from a cosmetic setup (which may well be the worst of all worlds !)

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I keep coming back to these myself. Are they worth doing on standard shocks and springs? Only suspension mods I have is bmr cradle lockout, steeda centering sleeves and a 2 point front bmr brace. I thought they actually made grip worse unless you had better shocks. With black Friday coming up I was tempted get front and rear bmr ones. I hate how much the car lurches on roundabouts etc
I don't get any lurch on roundabouts with the standard magneride setup. The car's biggest problem is it is heavy so with a non adaptive setup you have to go firm enough to control the weight but that then ruins the ride on UK roads. Colin Chapman had the answer and the Elise and Evora's I have owned completely embarrass the Mustang when it comes to ride and handling.

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
one of the most handling transformative mods you can do
Agreed...updated ARB’s on my car had a much bigger impact than updated springs..

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Agreed...updated ARB’s on my car had a much bigger impact than updated springs..
Useful info for the OP if you also say what you were trying to achieve. For example you may be happy with the downsides of thicker ARB's but he may not. Not having go, but terms like better and bigger impact only mean anything when you define the terms.

There are lot of modified Mustangs with lowered, spacered up setups that would be awful to drive every day but look good to the owner (assuming looks are more important than performance)

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
i've got BMR ones on mine, and they're amazing, the back end doesnt want to come out as much but i took her to a track and noticed increase in understeer so i need to tune it a bit. but definately worth it especially if you're going to lower the car as you have to disconnect everything anyway

Dell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Shadow Black
I fitted front and rear Whiteline adjustable ARBs a couple of years ago to my 2017 GT , then over 18 months adjusted them several times trying to find my ideal set up for road use , no track days.
With both set up to the stiffest setting I found the car was flat through roundabouts and supplied great grip , though it felt firmer , the ride was still good in my opinion.
The problem I found with the back end being so stiff was it would break traction easily , good fun most of the time , but for a daily driver in all conditions a bit too unpredictable.
Moving down through the back end settings improved things , but I still found that it would let go a lot more snappily than progressively.
Anyway , about 6 months ago I refitted the factory bars to remind myself what they felt like and have just stuck with them.
I should mention that this was all with factory springs and Michelin PS 4S.
I personally think the stiffer ARBs are an improvement and do reduce the wallow , but for cold , damp Scottish roads and 6am commutes the factory bars are my best option.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I fitted front and rear Whiteline adjustable ARBs a couple of years ago to my 2017 GT , then over 18 months adjusted them several times trying to find my ideal set up for road use , no track days.
With both set up to the stiffest setting I found the car was flat through roundabouts and supplied great grip , though it felt firmer , the ride was still good in my opinion.
The problem I found with the back end being so stiff was it would break traction easily , good fun most of the time , but for a daily driver in all conditions a bit too unpredictable.
Moving down through the back end settings improved things , but I still found that it would let go a lot more snappily than progressively.
Anyway , about 6 months ago I refitted the factory bars to remind myself what they felt like and have just stuck with them.
I should mention that this was all with factory springs and Michelin PS 4S.
I personally think the stiffer ARBs are an improvement and do reduce the wallow , but for cold , damp Scottish roads and 6am commutes the factory bars are my best option.
This is a really good example of how stiffer ARB's can make things worse. Yes, on a track, they may improve things (although that is with the caveat that you may have more or less understeer / oversteer depending on front / rear ARB balance) and on the road they will make little difference to the ride in general (except lateral motion which can be unpleasant) but can actually make handling 'worse'. Stiffer ARB's don't allow the wheels to flow with the road as well, especially mid corner, where bumps and stiff ARB's can mean less grip and the potential for more trips to the scenery.

If stiff ARB's were without a downside they would have been fitted by Ford, which they are not. The benefits always have downsides elsewhere, especially on general bumpy roads.
Sponsored