Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating Review

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Armour Detail Supply High Temp Wheel Coating Review

Who?

Armour Detail Supply is a relatively new company with a focus on providing high quality detailing products to the professional and enthusiast user. They make a point of delivering real world products that deliver real world durability, all without the hype that many brands use to sell product.

https://armourdetailsupply.com/
https://armourdetailsupply.com/collections/protect/products/wheel-ceramic-coating

IMG-9317.jpg

What Is It and What Does It Do?

As the name suggests, Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating is a high temperature resistant ceramic coating to be used on wheels, brake calipers, exhaust tips or surfaces subjected to high heat. Tested up to 800 degrees Celsius, this coating has a high 76% solids count and a pH tolerance ranging from 0 to 13. The coating can be used on a variety of wheel surfaces, including chrome, painted, clear coated, powder coated, anodized and matte finishes.

IMG-9860.jpg

Much is made about this coating being able to easily eclipse the claimed durability, up to twice the 1+ year claim and extreme hardness levels. This contrasts to the optimistic durability claimed by some of the big names offering wheel-specific coatings.

IMG-9774.jpg

Another drawcard for this coating is something often missing from high-temp wheel coatings. Having used a few competitor wheel coatings, the lack of slickness and an overall grabby feel left me wanting. In addition to that, they didn’t have that WOW factory to the hydrophobic properties. For the most part, this is the tradeoff for durability in high heat situations. And its this aspect of the Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating that really grabbed my attention, the excellent slickness and superb water behavior, while maintaining or even improving durability.

IMG-9820.jpg

IMG-9901.jpg

Where and How To Use –

Naturally, having surfaces ceramic coated is all about protecting and enhancing the finish, in turn making future cleaning quicker and easier. Arguably the surface subjected to the harshest conditions on a car, having your wheels coated makes a huge difference in how they resist brake dust accumulation.

IMG-0795.jpg

For the most part, using Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating is very similar to the various others on the market……………..with some specific aspects to note. A dual-colored microfiber applicator is supplied with each bottle, but this coating cures HARD and FAST, which means you may need a secondary applicator to get through a set of four wheels, and ideally, a second set of leveling and final wipe towels. That doesn't necessarily mean the coating flashes quickly, rather that it begins to harden and cure much quicker than usual. The suggested application temperature range is between 5 to 38 degrees C (40 to 100F) and the flash time of 1 to 5-min depending on conditions (average 2 to 3-min). Expect to use 10 – 15 ml per wheel set. Unopened, the product has a 12-month self-life, 7-days once opened.

IMG-0792.jpg

The key to success with any coating is preparation, preparation, preparation! If you are dealing with brand new wheels, then a simple wipe down with an IPA prep spray will be all you need.

However, if the wheels/brake calipers/exhaust tips are used, then a through decontamination by using iron removers, tar removers and a clay treatment is highly recommended. If needed, you may also need to polish the wheels. Once decontaminated and polished, follow with a generous wipe down with an IPA prep spray, which in my case has been Rupes Reveal Lite and Strong.

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

If you are dealing with wheels without tyres like I am here, I suggest having the tyres mounted and balanced before applying the coating. This might sound counterintuitive, but you may have issues retaining the wheel weights if you coat the wheels first.

Prime the applicator with 3 lines of product before starting, from there, only smaller amounts are required. Working one wheel at a time, apply the coating in overlapping motions to ensure even and complete coverage. I prefer to start with the wheel face first, followed by the barrels. You are more likely to have residual product transferring from the wheel face to the barrel, so doing the barrels last prevents that becoming a high spot.

Allow the coating to flash, which is exhibited by a light hazing and uniform sweat beading, typically within 2 or 3-minute. Using a low pile towel, level down the coating. The initial wipes will be ultra grabby, which quickly transforms to a slick and smooth feel under the towel. Follow up with a secondary towel to remove any lingering residue. Flip the wheel and follow the same process for the barrel, followed by another wipe over the wheel face to address any possible residue transfer.

While not necessary, Armour Detail Supply suggest waiting at least an hour before applying a secondary coat. After 4 hours, you can apply a ceramic spray sealant (Amplify or similar) to protect the coating during its initial cure. It’s also suggested to avoid driving the car for at least 12 hours. After 12 hours, the car can be driven and get wet. Refrain from washing within the first 7 days as the coating fully cures and hardens.

Conclusions –

As mentioned earlier, prior to the use of this coating, I was not entirely happy with my experiences using wheel-specific coatings. The Armour product however delivers the gloss, slickness and water behavior one would expect from a ceramic coating. Durability wise, it's still early days, so only time will tell if the claims of extended longevity will play out. I can say subsequent cleaning after application has been a breeze.

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

For me personally, I have been importing this coating directly from Armour Detail Supply in the USA, thankfully with reasonable shipping costs. Even still, it's not a cheap coating for me to use, but I think the benefits are worth it. Here’s hoping the brand makes the trip to Australia at some point in the future.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Coating wheels is not something I want to do very frequently because, as you well know, it is a lot of work lifting the car, removing the wheels, and then spending at least an hour ultra cleaning them.. When all that's done, it's time to polish with the Rupes Nano and probably the 2-inch for the barrels. Have you been able to use a larger diameter polisher on the barrels, D?

After 4 hours, you can apply a ceramic spray sealant (Amplify or similar)
Any thoughts on the difference between Reveal and Reload?

I can say subsequent cleaning after application has been a breeze.
THAT says a lot!

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Coating wheels is not something I want to do very frequently because, as you well know, it is a lot of work lifting the car, removing the wheels, and then spending at least an hour ultra cleaning them.. When all that's done, it's time to polish with the Rupes Nano and probably the 2-inch for the barrels. Have you been able to use a larger diameter polisher on the barrels, D?

Any thoughts on the difference between Reveal and Reload?

THAT says a lot!
Yep, its a LOT of work. Not that I tallied the time spent on those Ranger wheels prepping and applying the coating, but it certainly wasn't the work of a few minutes.

Reveal and Reload are completely different products to compare.

Rupes Reveal Lite and Reveal Strong are IPA-based panel prep sprays. Carpro's equivalent is Eraser, which is closer to Reveal Lite. Reveal Strong would be closer to the potent Gtechniq Panel Wipe.

Reload, as you know, is a Si02 spray sealant. Armour Detail Supply's equivalent is Amplyfy. In this case, the application of either is not essential, but it does provide some additional protection while the coating fully cures over the following days after application of the coating. You can of course apply again as a topper if you so desire.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Armour Detail Supply High Temp Wheel Coating Review

Who?

Armour Detail Supply is a relatively new company with a focus on providing high quality detailing products to the professional and enthusiast user. They make a point of delivering real world products that deliver real world durability, all without the hype that many brands use to sell product.

https://armourdetailsupply.com/
https://armourdetailsupply.com/collections/protect/products/wheel-ceramic-coating

IMG-9317.jpg

What Is It and What Does It Do?

As the name suggests, Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating is a high temperature resistant ceramic coating to be used on wheels, brake calipers, exhaust tips or surfaces subjected to high heat. Tested up to 800 degrees Celsius, this coating has a high 76% solids count and a pH tolerance ranging from 0 to 13. The coating can be used on a variety of wheel surfaces, including chrome, painted, clear coated, powder coated, anodized and matte finishes.

IMG-9860.jpg

Much is made about this coating being able to easily eclipse the claimed durability, up to twice the 1+ year claim and extreme hardness levels. This contrasts to the optimistic durability claimed by some of the big names offering wheel-specific coatings.

IMG-9774.jpg

Another drawcard for this coating is something often missing from high-temp wheel coatings. Having used a few competitor wheel coatings, the lack of slickness and an overall grabby feel left me wanting. In addition to that, they didn’t have that WOW factory to the hydrophobic properties. For the most part, this is the tradeoff for durability in high heat situations. And its this aspect of the Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating that really grabbed my attention, the excellent slickness and superb water behavior, while maintaining or even improving durability.

IMG-9820.jpg

IMG-9901.jpg

Where and How To Use –

Naturally, having surfaces ceramic coated is all about protecting and enhancing the finish, in turn making future cleaning quicker and easier. Arguably the surface subjected to the harshest conditions on a car, having your wheels coated makes a huge difference in how they resist brake dust accumulation.

IMG-0795.jpg

For the most part, using Armour Detail Supply Wheel Coating is very similar to the various others on the market……………..with some specific aspects to note. A dual-colored microfiber applicator is supplied with each bottle, but this coating cures HARD and FAST, which means you may need a secondary applicator to get through a set of four wheels, and ideally, a second set of leveling and final wipe towels. That doesn't necessarily mean the coating flashes quickly, rather that it begins to harden and cure much quicker than usual. The suggested application temperature range is between 5 to 38 degrees C (40 to 100F) and the flash time of 1 to 5-min depending on conditions (average 2 to 3-min). Expect to use 10 – 15 ml per wheel set. Unopened, the product has a 12-month self-life, 7-days once opened.

IMG-0792.jpg

The key to success with any coating is preparation, preparation, preparation! If you are dealing with brand new wheels, then a simple wipe down with an IPA prep spray will be all you need.

However, if the wheels/brake calipers/exhaust tips are used, then a through decontamination by using iron removers, tar removers and a clay treatment is highly recommended. If needed, you may also need to polish the wheels. Once decontaminated and polished, follow with a generous wipe down with an IPA prep spray, which in my case has been Rupes Reveal Lite and Strong.

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

If you are dealing with wheels without tyres like I am here, I suggest having the tyres mounted and balanced before applying the coating. This might sound counterintuitive, but you may have issues retaining the wheel weights if you coat the wheels first.

Prime the applicator with 3 lines of product before starting, from there, only smaller amounts are required. Working one wheel at a time, apply the coating in overlapping motions to ensure even and complete coverage. I prefer to start with the wheel face first, followed by the barrels. You are more likely to have residual product transferring from the wheel face to the barrel, so doing the barrels last prevents that becoming a high spot.

Allow the coating to flash, which is exhibited by a light hazing and uniform sweat beading, typically within 2 or 3-minute. Using a low pile towel, level down the coating. The initial wipes will be ultra grabby, which quickly transforms to a slick and smooth feel under the towel. Follow up with a secondary towel to remove any lingering residue. Flip the wheel and follow the same process for the barrel, followed by another wipe over the wheel face to address any possible residue transfer.

While not necessary, Armour Detail Supply suggest waiting at least an hour before applying a secondary coat. After 4 hours, you can apply a ceramic spray sealant (Amplify or similar) to protect the coating during its initial cure. It’s also suggested to avoid driving the car for at least 12 hours. After 12 hours, the car can be driven and get wet. Refrain from washing within the first 7 days as the coating fully cures and hardens.

Conclusions –

As mentioned earlier, prior to the use of this coating, I was not entirely happy with my experiences using wheel-specific coatings. The Armour product however delivers the gloss, slickness and water behavior one would expect from a ceramic coating. Durability wise, it's still early days, so only time will tell if the claims of extended longevity will play out. I can say subsequent cleaning after application has been a breeze.

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

For me personally, I have been importing this coating directly from Armour Detail Supply in the USA, thankfully with reasonable shipping costs. Even still, it's not a cheap coating for me to use, but I think the benefits are worth it. Here’s hoping the brand makes the trip to Australia at some point in the future.
Great review. I definitely will look into this. My wheels were coated last spring when I had the car done, I will be looking for a good coating to re-apply down the road... So far an application of Hydro or Wetcoat every wash has keept them beading really well..

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Reveal and Reload are completely different products to compare.
Brain fart, D..I MEANT to type Eraser. <laughing at myself> Thanks for the correction. ;-)

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
With this coating having such a short shelf once opened, I needed to use up remainder of the bottle..........................................................

IMG-1008.jpg

IMG-1028.jpg

Of course, as you would in an automotive application, the surface needs to free of contamination. While I typically like to use Carpro Eraser or Rupes Reveal, I have a bottle of P&S Paint Coating Surface Prep to use up. I only gave that product 7/10 in my Prep Spray shootout, so it's not a product I grab instinctively. Put it this way, it does the job, just without the theater of Eraser.

IMG-1072.jpg

Considering the conditions a mower is subjected to, a high temp wheel coating sort of works here too. Application is the same, wipe on, allow to flash/sweat, then level with two towels. In this case, I applied the coating to the aluminum powder coated deck, steel handlebar and drive bale, the steel catcher flap, plastic front bumper capping, throttle control, the plastic engine cover, engine rocker cover and plastic wheels. I drew the line at coating the underside of the deck!

IMG-1076.jpg

IMG-1133.jpg

IMG-1089.jpg

IMG-1082.jpg

IMG-1086.jpg

IMG-1136.jpg

IMG-1096.jpg

IMG-1098.jpg

IMG-1129.jpg

After letting the coating cure overnight, this morning I followed with Carpro Reload.

I have no illusions of the coating lasting long, but I had fun anyway! The hard part now is having to get it dirty! :facepalm:

A quick pass over the front lawns was its first cut, nothing cuts like a brand-new mower! Once the engine has run in and the oil changed, I will tweak the governor to extract some extra revs to improve the walking speed and cutting performance. New mowers these days run too slow, about 2800 rpm, with some tweaking, the engine will live happily in the 3400 to 3600 rpm range.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I drew the line at coating the underside of the deck!
<really chuckling> Too funny, D, BUT I bet you considered it! :cool:

I have no illusions of the coating lasting long, but I had fun anyway!
Now THERE's the Prime Directive! Having fun and enjoying the work is what it's all about, right? That said, ONLY you would detail a brand new mower! <warm smile>
Sponsored