Sponsored

Are these DRL's any good?

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
The diode dynamics kit just uses clip on connectors that attach to the original wiring. It comes with a diagram to explain which colour wires etc. You need to route the cable out of the headlight by making a hole somewhere. I will make mine on the bottom of the light then seal it up. Then there is a bit of wiring to tuck away under the light, luckily there is loads of room there on both sides.

I will do mine the next couple of days and post some pics. I am also changing my upper and lower grills and doing the oil cooler at the same time.

Your vid is great just a question about the wiring part as I haven't seen much about that. Is the wiring part of the kit and is there much needed for set up, is it plug and play?
Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
That would be great if you can post some pics, cheers mateđź‘Ť

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
That would be great if you can post some pics, cheers mateđź‘Ť
bloody wiring instructions do not match U.K. wiring colours despite it being an EU kit…. Anyway after an hour with a multi meter and some fiddling I have worked out the wires.

I will take loads of pics of it all but will probably be a week or so before I post them all up.

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
bloody wiring instructions do not match U.K. wiring colours despite it being an EU kit…. Anyway after an hour with a multi meter and some fiddling I have worked out the wires.

I will take loads of pics of it all but will probably be a week or so before I post them all up.
One thing to test is running it with the engine and the dipped beam on, as this causes a weird pulsing for some LED units. Should be fine, but worth checking. I have some indicator/parking light units and they've started pulsing with the engine and dipped beams on but working with the engine off.

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT

Any news on how you wired it? Mine are arriving soon and there's very little around UK cars which can be problematic with wiring LEDs.

Sponsored

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
Any news on how you wired it? Mine are arriving soon and there's very little around UK cars which can be problematic with wiring LEDs.
In the end I just used a multi meter to check each wire and turned the various lights on to work out which was which.
Basically the four lights (side light, drl, indicator and fog) all have two wires each. You need to take feeds from the positives for the side light, indicator and drl and connect them to the new LED wiring harness with the supplied connectors. The forth wire is the earth which you can either earth to the chassis somewhere or to one of the four light earths. I choose the fog light earth.

Here is a picture of the nearside and you can see which colour wires have been joined. I cant remember if the colours are the same on the offside but I’m fairly sure that all the earths are black which makes it all fairly simple.

A0EEDC14-5377-4560-B5F2-E118BD05F4B2.png

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
In the end I just used a multi meter to check each wire and turned the various lights on to work out which was which.
Basically the four lights (side light, drl, indicator and fog) all have two wires each. You need to take feeds from the positives for the side light, indicator and drl and connect them to the new LED wiring harness with the supplied connectors. The forth wire is the earth which you can either earth to the chassis somewhere or to one of the four light earths. I choose the fog light earth.

Here is a picture of the nearside and you can see which colour wires have been joined. I cant remember if the colours are the same on the offside but I’m fairly sure that all the earths are black which makes it all fairly simple.
Ah, so no hyperflashing or strobing (with the engine on) when just tapping into those? Is there a permanent 12v feed?

have you got stock indicators still running?

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
All runs 100% fine. Sequential indicators are nice. I have decided to leave my OE DRL’s and indicators connected for maximum safety but you could easily disconnect those if you wanted. My OE DRL’s are however LED so the colour matches nicely.

No 12v feed until one of the lights is on (although as soon as you unlock the car the side lights power up obviously).

Oh I did obviously reseal those wires too. Soldering would have been neater but I ran out of time.
Sponsored