Sponsored

Are any S550's being used in Law Enforcement?

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I thought the old lx 5.0 fox bodies were built for the buyer who wanted to spend less and look a little sleeper..
Me too. In 1989 I custom ordered an LX 5.0 sedan because of the price point, and the fact with less weight, it was the fasted Mustang in the line up. All the car magazines at the time called this call the best, " bang for your buck ". In my custom order, I removed anything on the outside of the cat I could that looked fast. No pinstripe, no wing on the trunk, and in black. It was a great car for a 22 year old. Compared to today's cars, that 225 horsepower was a job the control.

I pasted up on purchasing an 87 GNX for the mustang. I do not regret it, as I probably would not have hung on to it to great the prices they are getting today. But still... If I had....

Anyway, the only reason they existed was because of law enforcement? I'm not sure I can totally get behind that statement without documentation from the day saying that.

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
I haven't seen an S550 cop car yet, but last fall I was blasting across Utah and I came up on Grabber Blue 2013 Boss 302. I pulled up alongside of it (in my 2012 GT) and...yep...Utah state patrol...I played it cool and gave him a thumbs up and a wave. He grinned and waved back, and I slowed right on down before he thought about the fact that I was probably doing 90+ to catch up with him...
I'm going to guess this is the car you saw, not a real boss though, just boss-style stripes: [ame]

Sponsored

mada808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Honolulu Police hasn't been approved to use Mustang's since 2005. Because there is no way for the lightbar to be mounted temporarily (no outer rain gutters for the aluminum bracket to clip on to like the SN95)they cant use it. And all the SN95's have been phased out (department basically told all the officers that have SN95's that they have to get rid of them and get something else).

Interesting. I lived there for 17 years but never knew they changed the law. Had a neighbor with a thunderbird as their cop car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfman625

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT in Deep impact Blue
San Antonio TX has a few.

RoadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I haven't seen an S550 cop car yet, but last fall I was blasting across Utah and I came up on Grabber Blue 2013 Boss 302. I pulled up alongside of it (in my 2012 GT) and...yep...Utah state patrol...I played it cool and gave him a thumbs up and a wave. He grinned and waved back, and I slowed right on down before he thought about the fact that I was probably doing 90+ to catch up with him...
-------------------------------------------------

I'm the only person I know that has gotten a speeding ticket while crossing Bonneville Salt Flats (I-80).. Kinda sucks..

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
they are usually in specialty units, maybe chp or a highway unit could use them, unmarked gang unit, etc. but they usually use bikes or a vehicle that was seized thats capable. theres enough pursuit capable sedans(caprice, taurus, charger,and now the explorer) that are easily able to run down most anything in a real pursuit, so coupes are somewhat obsolete at this point. i wish my dept had them, id be all over that, even though you cant transport in a coupe per most departments policies.
I have to say from what I have seen, cop cars are slow. If you check out "Top the cops" @ sanoma drag strips. Even their chargers are running like 16 1/4 miles. But it might all just depend on the city.

CentralVA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD !!!!
Most are slower then the avg vehicle due to the added weight etc. The P71 Crown Vic was limited due to the driveshaft . Easy to fix that though ;) ;)

Sponsored

Furore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6A
The Honolulu Police Department has some sick, sick unmarked SRT-8 Chargers.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
I have to say from what I have seen, cop cars are slow. If you check out "Top the cops" @ sanoma drag strips. Even their chargers are running like 16 1/4 miles. But it might all just depend on the city.
we have 365hp awd ecoboost taurus', same motor in the explorer sport, caprice with the 355hp 6.0, and chargers with the 370hp 5.7. pursuits arent about straight acceleration, its about sustainable speed for long periods of time, and handling well at speed. it would be dumb to think that a taurus would keep with a 5.0 s550(most will prob give an eb a run for its money tho :lol: ), but if you saw the cars we do chase...we are usually faster. usually stolen hondas and hooptie ass box chevys... even if you are running in a 911 gt3... you cant outrun the radio, spike strips, and helicopters....usually :D

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Interesting. I lived there for 17 years but never knew they changed the law. Had a neighbor with a thunderbird as their cop car.

The average time you can use your vehicle for police use is 10 years. You can ask for an extension for another couple of years but after that the department will make you buy something else.

One other thing to mention, the department pays the officer a stipend every month to cover the vehicle payment, insurance (Hawaii has one of the cheapest insurance rates in the country) and maintenance. The city covers the fuel and vehicle registration fees, because it's basically a subsidized private vehicle used for public use.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
The Honolulu Police Department has some sick, sick unmarked SRT-8 Chargers.

I haven't seen unmarked SRT-8 chargers, as anything SRT-8 isn't approved for patrol use due to fuel economy standards set by policy, unless they're asset forfeiture.

Furore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6A
I haven't seen unmarked SRT-8 chargers, as anything SRT-8 isn't approved for patrol use due to fuel economy standards set by policy, unless they're asset forfeiture.

I don't know if it is asset forfeiture or what, but the exhaust and the brakes make it a dead giveaway. I see him routing traffic down near my place in Waikiki nearly every day.
Sponsored