Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Saw this in another thread:

Just as a heads up, some folks have issues getting the PS4s to seal correctly the first time on the Apex SM10s. Just something about the combo isn't 100%.

I ordered the 19x10 SM10s and PS4s' separately and had them mounted by a mobile installer. All 4 lost air. Took the set to the local experts (Grand Turismo East for you ATL folks) and they had to use bead sealer.

3 track days later and they all hold air fine, but this of course was an extra complication I was not expecting.
Anyone else losing air from PS4s on Apex SM-10s?

Can't tell from that post if this was a mounting problem or if leaks were only while tracking or maybe marginal width compatibility or ????
Sponsored

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have Apex SM-10's on Cup 2's and haven't had any problems, but I use PS4's on my stock rims and one keeps leaking air slowly. Tires are brand new and they've only been on for a month.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have Apex SM-10's on Cup 2's and haven't had any problems, but I use PS4's on my stock rims and one keeps leaking air slowly. Tires are brand new and they've only been on for a month.
Thanks.

I have PS4s on my factory wheels. Never leak.

Must just be rare bad apples.

So, I see no reason not to just let Costco mount PS4s on my new SM-10s and let them deal with any unlikely problem.

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Yeah I got mine at Costco as well. I may go back and let them know the problem as I really don't want to have to re-fill with air all the time.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah I got mine at Costco as well. I may go back and let them know the problem as I really don't want to have to re-fill with air all the time.
Whatever you do, don't tell them you ignored the green caps and put disgusting common contaminated air in them! LoL

Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I've had that problem too, just on a different model, the 5RS ones. It seems, for some reason worse on Michelins and the problem is the really raspy knurling they use on the beads. After two dismounts and continued slow air leak, like 2-3 pounds per week, it was fixed with a dismount and then applying some sort of gummy seam sealer to both bead areas over the knurling. Fixed it for good.

Mustangmatty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I have never had issues with my EC7s and PS4s. Costco did my mounting.

….but they did scratch a rim on a flat repair :crying:.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I might put something not obvious on the wheel bead area before taking them to Costco. Not going to do anything obvious or ask them to use anything. They are making an exception to even mount tires on aftermarket wheels so not going to spook them.

Unlikely to have a problem anyway, so rather them have to deal with a rare leak after mounting than decide to not risk it.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FWIW, Apex says this is extremely rare and those are usually on their forged wheels which have more aggressive beads. They are aware of only 2 cases of this with Flow Formed wheels. And no reports that weren't resolved. I have no idea what percent would report/complain to the manufacturer, but I would. They also mentioned that Michelins have narrower beads than most brands.

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
FWIW, Apex says this is extremely rare and those are usually on their forged wheels which have more aggressive beads. They are aware of only 2 cases of this with Flow Formed wheels. And no reports that weren't resolved. I have no idea what percent would report/complain to the manufacturer, but I would. They also mentioned that Michelins have narrower beads than most brands.
Good to know. Thanks for the info man.
Sponsored