Sponsored

Anyone using a breather catch can?

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
I have had catch cans on my previous cars, but always used breather cans. Why aren't more people doing this on the EB Mustang? The smell? The breather tank doesn't need to be mounted in the engine bay, it can be mounted underneath the car, or even at the rear, so the smell won't be noticed. If you did a DIY breather catch can kit, you would spend more on hose and fittings than the actual can would cost, but overall it would still be cheap compared to all the kits out there.

If anyone has done this, which catch cans are you using? I see Tune+ and UPR are selling a breather catch can kit, do these kits take care of the line that goes from the valve cover to the intake manifold as well?

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
I have had catch cans on my previous cars, but always used breather cans. Why aren't more people doing this on the EB Mustang? The smell? The breather tank doesn't need to be mounted in the engine bay, it can be mounted underneath the car, or even at the rear, so the smell won't be noticed. If you did a DIY breather catch can kit, you would spend more on hose and fittings than the actual can would cost, but overall it would still be cheap compared to all the kits out there.

If anyone has done this, which catch cans are you using? I see Tune+ and UPR are selling a breather catch can kit, do these kits take care of the line that goes from the valve cover to the intake manifold as well?

Thanks,
Nick
tons of DIY options out there
I've had a billet PCV cover since 2015 that other companies just released a version of
There are a couple versions of these floating around out there - this one if from PERM Tuning - PM me for details
Just run a few lines to a vented can and you're good

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
We have seen no reason to run an open breather can on these motors. Our 9.94 pass was on a closed system using our Dual Valve Catch Can with upgraded Pro Series check valve. This will allow the motor to run the way Ford designed it. We have NOT seen a case of high pressure with these motors required a breather.

This system right here will do the trick nicely for you.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-single-valve-catch-can-separator-15-ecoboost.html

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
We have seen no reason to run an open breather can on these motors. Our 9.94 pass was on a closed system using our Dual Valve Catch Can with upgraded Pro Series check valve. This will allow the motor to run the way Ford designed it. We have NOT seen a case of high pressure with these motors required a breather.

This system right here will do the trick nicely for you.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-single-valve-catch-can-separator-15-ecoboost.html
can't argue with that logic!

UPR FTW:cheers:

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost

Thanks,
Nick
I have been running a vented system for 10k miles with no smell/spray. gutted stock pcv, removed valvecover hose, ran hoses from valve cover and pcv to input of a catchcan, capped the vacuum ports and put a universal K&N breather on the output of the catchcan then had the code cleared for pcv vacuum. boomsauce, more efficient at keeping oil of the intake than any closed loop catchcan made. You can buy the most expensive closed loop can but all it does is limit XX% oil passing through, a vented system isn't connected to the intake air at all so it is impossible to get an atom of oil from it.

end of the day, a lot of people think "$15 breather filters" doesn't sound as cool as "quadruple valve ion separating catch can system" it their mod list :p

OP
OP

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
Well I'm getting ready to order up a universal breather can today. I will post my results once installed.

I do have a couple questions though:

1. My plan is to gut the stock PCV and use this to feed one of the ports on the breather can. My plan was to gut the original 2015 PCV/oil separator, since it is just sitting in my garage. Would there be any benefit to gut the revised PCV/oil separator instead?? Does the stock oil collector (1st revision) create any restriction?

2. The Full race PCV delete has two ports, what is the reason for having two?? If I used this part, I would either need to use a T and combine these two hoses, or get a catch can with more than 2 ports.

3. I will feed the other inlet port to the breather can from the valve cover vent. What is the best method of tricking the flow sensor that is between the valvecover and the turbo inlet hose? I see two options: 1. Put a small filter on the line that used to connect to the valvecover. This would trick the sensor, but I then would be sucking air into my intake from the engine bay. 2. Remove this hose/sensor all together and have it removed from the tune (this is what Tucsonturbos is saying he did)

Thanks in advance for the help, it looks like I can do this setup for under $75. If for some reason it smells too bad, or I'm not collecting oil I will just go for a off the shelf kit, but for now I don't see any reason why this wont work.

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored