Sponsored

anyone swapped out OEM sync 3 for the "tesla style" screen head unit?

jturn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang, 2013 Ford Edge, 2004 Lincoln Navigator, 1958 Chevy Bel-Air
other then the camera what do you think? does it do everything the oem did? you like it?
I like it. It responds quickly as well as retain my steering wheel controls. It takes some time to customize it to your liking (background, launch app etc.) but you'll get the hang of it soon enough.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
More options and Im an android user. it is android based and has more options then the stock unit as far as media and lets just say more unofficial uses. plus for my personal tastes less buttons. the mustang is full of buttons way to many. But mostly the native use of apps that cant be used on sync and not having to plug my phone in everytime i use the car would be nice to avoid all that android auto crap. But not really wanting it per say just curious if anyones done it and what they think.
Less buttons..?

Bro, when you are driving and reach for a knob, it is there. Now you have to look at a touch screen menu and take your attention away from driving. Video games are kewl, but not while you are driving.

That pic you posted handicaps any driver, because they don't have immediate analog access to controls. And just as many fake buttons, as real.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have the opposite problem. when mine gives a direction it does nto turn the music down and I can't hear the direction.
My other issues are having to plug the damn phone in everytime to use android auto.
The way android auto takes over your phone.
If I need to use my phone after getting in car before moving that phone is already locked to the android auto screen and is a pain in the butt to then get back to where I can use it.
IM not a fan of waze. I know everyone else gets all hard over it but I just don't get the hype. there are such better options if you can get away from the locked system. Waze bty the way is owned by google and why its part of android auto. Google tests stuff on waze to see how it works before adding it to google maps. waze is the test bed and google maps is the refined product.

And other reasons. that this unit would eliminate over useing sync. One I don't have to plug my dang phone in everytime and have a cord in my way and then every time I get out of car I have unplug and blah blah i like to just leave phone in my pocket. I won't have android auto locking my phone out all the time in fact i won't have to use android auto at all since I have the car modem on I can just run stuff native since its full android and not a locked out version by ford. even without the modem i can just hot spot my phone so auto connects when get in car. just make life easier. plus for me get rid of all tose dang buttons. god this car has some buttons. I think there are 19 on just the steering wheel. LOL

Just a FYI....
I don't use Android auto, nor do I have an Android phone. I don't plug my phone into anything when I get in my car, because my phone has nothing to do with driving.

Why not just glue a Chromebook to your dash....? Not sure why you anyone needs so much android integration into the driving. Makes no sense..

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why you anyone needs so much android integration into the driving. Makes no sense..
I use Android Auto for Waze and Google Maps. I also use it for Google Play music. When I plug my phone in, it automatically plays my music, and starts Waze. I use Waze because it provides you with traffic, road conditions, and police presence while you're driving (all for free). I'm also able to control the music on my phone using my steering wheel controls instead of touching my phone. In essence, I feel it makes me a safer driver.

Just because you don't take advantage of these features, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for others to use them.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
oh, I am in a different situation, w/1tb thumbdrive with all my road worthy albums ripped to it & have navigation built into my car. I can control all of it with my steering wheel, not sure of the quality of phone songs, so..

Also, I don't work out of my car like you do so I guess I don't understand the need to be integrated with a phone 27/7.
Sponsored