Sponsored

Anyone install convertible rear brace on a coupe?

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I was wondering if anyone installed the brace on the coupe? Looks like to be a very good piece for rear subframe support. Much better than any aftermarket one. Anyone know how much they are going for?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Oops wrong section. Mods please move to suspension

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The added stiffness is not worth the significant weight gain.

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
How heavy is it? At least it's on the rear to help bring a bit more balance to the front weight

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I do not think this is a very good modification for a coupe to be honest.

The added weight, as well as the fact that this brace does not really provide much improvement in Subframe Support as you had stated in the OP.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind, that brace on the rear under the "spare tire" area, that is not highlighted, is also required. That piece is not on a factory coupe.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I took it off to install a hitch but didn't weigh it.

I would suggest though that adapting it to a coupe would be more trouble than it's worth. While it does offer a bit of chassis strengthening it has no affect on the suspension. And the solid roof of the coupe already gives you the stability it gives the convertible.

It also requires an additional frame crossmember that is welded in. Then after all that it is in the way of the Coupe style exhaust pipes. And if that isn't enough it uses the mounting points that the two Jacking rail systems use and after that it also uses the mounting points that Steeda and BMR use for their IRS stability systems.

So if you could put one on your Coupe, you would need a Convertible exhaust system, and you couldn't put on jacking rails (without modification), and you couldn't use the best wheel hop remedies on the market. :headbonk:

PS: It doesn't touch the subframe.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
^ Correct. There are no provisions on the coupe for it, and as you stated, the mounting brace int he rear has to be welded on to the car.

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
If this brace were to be removed, stiffening will be reduced but can that be compensated with the subframe bracing?

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I would say no. That is based upon the mounting point of the two items, they are very different. The Ford Convertible brace ties the frame forward of the subframe to the frame behind the subframe. The subframe braces from both Steeda and BMR only serve to keep the subframe in one position relative to the middle of the car frame. If you remove the brace you open yourself up to chassis flexing because there is no steel roof helping to tie the ends together. I'm not saying you will see this right away but why take the chance?

In my opinion you would be trying to improve performance at the cost of chassis integrity.

I don't know why it hasn't happened yet but looking at the image from the op... if Steeda or BMR were to come up with a replacement brace that bolted to the midframe and subframe like the Steeda brace does and then continues to the rear crossmember that would be the Winner for the vert owners who want to cure wheel hop...

It could be as simple as the jacking rails they currently make.
Sponsored